New thread... ftp vs http distribution and context specific help

    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 13, 2007
      Everywhere else that I have worked we have used http for output
      distribution. The place I am at now created a new install using ftp,
      because that's what they were using on earlier versions. I am trying to
      determine if any one method is better than the other for speed, throughput
      or file size limitations. Your thoughts would be useful.

      tools 8.49
      FSCM 9.0
      HPUx 11 for DB, AS and PSUnx
      NP for PSNT
      Oracle 10

      Also, where do I find documentation related to content specific help?

      peace,
      clark ' the dragon' willis

      services for 40 hours a week, not purchasing your soul. Your time is the
      only real finite asset that you have, and once used it can never be

      "Time is the coin of your life. It is the only coin you have, and only you
      can determine how it will be spent. Be careful lest you let other people
      spend it for you." -- Carl Sandburg (1878 - 1967)

      It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument. -- William G. McAdoo

      Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and
      by the rulers as useful. -- Seneca

      "I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because
      I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

      See what you�re getting into�before you go there
      http://newlivehotmail.com/?ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_viral_preview_0507
    • Bob Ellis
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 13, 2007
        On AIX I found ftp to be faster by a factor of about 15%. Never bothered to
        find out why as the powers that be took away the ftp server :)

        Robert Ellis
        PSE Data Security GmbH
        http://www.psedatasecurity.com

[...]

        PeopleSoft for the Oracle DBA is published by Apress - see
        http://www.psftdba.com
        The PeopleSoft DBA Forum is managed by http://www.go-faster.co.uk

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • James Blanding
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 15, 2007
          I've never tried to do any sort of benchmarking for output
          distribution. My gut feeling is that basic FTP server software (like
          that which is included with most server OSs) is a lot more lightweight
          than the various web server options delivered with PeopleTools. I
          would guess that the former would be faster, in general, than the
          latter. Maybe the differences would be cut down by creating a
          dedicated PIA for output distribution.

          For context-sensitive help, see:

          PeopleBooks ->
          About These PeopleBooks ->
          Managing the PeopleSoft Online Library and PeopleBooks ->
          Integrating Your Own Documentation into the Library ->
          Integrating Context Sensitivity

          --James