Re: PeopleSoft DBA Forum Multiple vs. one large file for tablespaces

  • Gus Fisher
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 13, 2007
      I always stopped at 5 GB because that was the max
      filesize on my system and that was the biggest tar
      could handle.

      It's easier to backup lots of little files and you can
      gzip them faster too.

      It's also faster to copy multiple files at the same
      time on a SAN instead of 1 big one.

      I have not seen either a performance increase or
      decrease using multiple data files in a tablespace or
      using a single big one.

      --- kevin_slack <kevin_slack@...> wrote:

      > Can anyone tell me what their guidelines are for
      > creating large
      > tablespaces (3-20Gb). I have set my disk up as Raid
      > 1+0 (JFS) and I am
      > debating the logic of creating multiple smaller
      > files vs one large file.
      >
      > What does the group think?

    • benghahhari
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 13, 2007
        --- In psftdba@yahoogroups.com, "kevin_slack" <kevin_slack@...> wrote:

        > Can anyone tell me what their guidelines are for creating large
        > tablespaces (3-20Gb). I have set my disk up as Raid 1+0 (JFS) and I am
        > debating the logic of creating multiple smaller files vs one large
        file.

        > What does the group think?

        If your 0+1 (striped and mirrored), then the files are distributed
        across disks and the number of data files (and locations) won't make a
        difference. For a 30Gb tablespace, I'd just use one large datafile
        (for ease of administration). Make it auto undo management, locally.
      • benghahhari
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 16, 2007
          --- In psftdba@yahoogroups.com, Gus Fisher <gusfish@...> wrote:

          > I always stopped at 5 GB because that was the max
          > filesize on my system and that was the biggest tar
          > could handle.
          >
          > It's easier to backup lots of little files and you can
          > gzip them faster too.
          >
          > It's also faster to copy multiple files at the same
          > time on a SAN instead of 1 big one.
          >
          > I have not seen either a performance increase or
          > decrease using multiple data files in a tablespace or
          > using a single big one.
          >

          > --- kevin_slack <kevin_slack@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Can anyone tell me what their guidelines are for
          > > creating large
          > > tablespaces (3-20Gb). I have set my disk up as Raid
          > > 1+0 (JFS) and I am
          > > debating the logic of creating multiple smaller
          > > files vs one large file.
          > >
          > > What does the group think?

          It actually is not easier to backup many small data files and it
          actually takes longer than one. Max file size is dependent on your o/s
          and block size. I suggest you use an Oracle BIGFILE Tablespace
          (Oracle 10). This will allow you to assign one very large datafile.
          Only requirement is that you can only use one datafile with a BIGFILE
          type tablespace. Much easier than many small ones.
        • Rajanikanth Batchu VSSS
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 17, 2007

            In Oracle 9i we can create a datafile maximum size of 35 gb. It cannot grow more than 35 gb..

            We can create a datafile with the option autoextend on then it will grow maximum till 35 gb. After that you cannot write data into that corresponding datafile and will through error like “ Unable to extend by 16mb” some thing like,,,, You have to add one more datafile to that corresponding tablespace ..

            Create tablespace xyz datafile  ‘/prd/psfs/oracledb/test/xyz.dbf’ size 100m autoextend on;

            Let me know if any questions on the above.

            Thanks & Regards

            Rajanikanth Batchu

            Sr.Software Engineer

            Off:044-66763600 Extn:3135

            Mobile:91-98840 46561

            Can anyone tell me what their guidelines are for creating large
            tablespaces (3-20Gb). I have set my disk up as Raid 1+0 (JFS) and I am
            debating the logic of creating multiple smaller files vs one large file.

            What does the group think?

            This e-mail communication and any attachments may be privileged and confidential to Hexaware and are intended only for the
            use of the recipients named above. If you are not the intended recipient, please do not review, disclose, disseminate,
            distribute or copy this e-mail and attachments. If you have received this email in error, please delete the same alongwith
            all attachments thereto and notify us immediately at mailadmin@... <mailto:mailadmin@...>.