Using System Statistics with PSoft

  • kevin_slack
    Message 1 of 12 , May 31 1:22 PM
      Is anyone using System Statistics in PSoft? I am interested in the
      methodologies used, ie, gather system stats for 12 hours during the
      day for use the next day and 12 hours at night for use the next night,
      etc.

      How do you handle different usage patterns? For example in Financials
      usage is heavy on batch loading and editing for the first week of the
      month and then tapers off dramatically, or weekly payroll processing
      in HR.

      Any guidance, automation examples would be helpful. We are currently
      on 9i, 9.2.0.6.

      Thanks,
      Kevin
    • Klein, Gordon
      Message 2 of 12 , May 31 1:46 PM
        We have a product called TeamQuest http://www.teamquest.com/ which we use to gather statistics on database, webservers (we use BEA 8.1) as well and what appsrv, process scheduler processes running on the servers(s).  Also captures and makes available all server (Windows in our case) statistics as well such as memory usage, disk usage, etc.  While not designed for PSoft (a much broader tool) it is easy to tell it what services, processes to monitor and report on.

        Gordon Klein

      • william_gioioso@vanguard.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 1, 2007

          I have a follow-up question.  We run our PS databases in a shared server environment.  We have many non-PS databases on our prod db server.  Each db has  different workload attributes. The box is busy all of the time.  We are not using system statistics as of yet.  We are on 9i and moving to 10g shortly.  I'm thinking there is no downside to using system stats, and these can be taken anytime.  Any insight appreciated.

          --Bill
          CONFIDENTIALITY STATEMENT. The information contained in this e-mail message, including attachments, is the confidential information of, and/or is the property of, Vanguard. The information is intended for use solely by the individual or entity named in the message. If you are not an intended recipient or you received this in error, then any review, printing, copying, or distribution of any such information is prohibited, and please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this e-mail from your system.
        • vinay nagaraj
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 4, 2007
            Guys,

            I have a SQL server table with some data in it.
            Does anybody know how to convert it into Oracle
            without any third party tool.

            Thanks...

            Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 4, 2007
              how about creating a database link and then doing a create as, and then
              populating the table?

              services for 40 hours a week, not purchasing your soul. Your time is the
              only real finite asset that you have, and once used it can never be

              "Time is the coin of your life. It is the only coin you have, and only you
              can determine how it will be spent. Be careful lest you let other people
              spend it for you." -- Carl Sandburg (1878 - 1967)

              It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument. -- William G. McAdoo

              Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and
              by the rulers as useful. -- Seneca

              "I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because
              I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

              ----Original Message Follows----

              Guys,

              I have a SQL server table with some data in it.
              Does anybody know how to convert it into Oracle
              without any third party tool.

              Thanks...

            • Gary Chua
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 4, 2007
                how about exporting the table from SQL server into a delimited text file and importing this text file to Oracle using sqlldr ?

                the dragon <ceprn@...> wrote:
[...]

                http://club. live.com/ clink.aspx? icid=clink_ hotmailtextlink2

                TV dinner still cooling?

                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 4, 2007
                  This is would be a hetrogeneous database link.  You need to set up Hetrogeneous Database services. Its not very difficult, it requires an Oracle Listener on a Windows server which will then access the SQLServer ODBC Driver.

                  HS gives you full transactional control.  The standard guidance for links still applies.  Keep the SQL simple.  Only reference one remote object in any one query (if you need to join remote objects, join them in a view on the remote database and reference the view),  Think about how many concurrent sessions are going to reference the link.

                  I can't remember if HS is a licence option.

                  If this is a one-off export/import task then the SQLLoader option is probably easier.

                  And remember that Long columns are going to give you a headache either way.

                  The PeopleSoft DBA Blog: http://psftdba.blogspot.com

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 4, 2007
                    Thanks and yes I was wondering what datatypes would
                    give me problems..Apart from long are there any other
                    datatypes.

                    As this is a one time thing I will probably use SQL
                    loader..I have just 10 tables that are comparitively
                    small...

                    Never miss an email again!
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 4, 2007
                      You need to think about the differences between the two platforms.

                      Be careful with dates.  SQL Server has separate date, time and datetime fields.  Also times and datetimes in SQLServer are accurate to 1/1000th of a second, whereas Oracle datetimes are accurate to 1 second.  I have encountered places where PeopleSoft puts a timestamp into a key to make it unique (eg PSIBERR).  This works fine on SQL*Server, but you can get unique constraint problems on Oracle.

                      PeopleSoft does not use the Oracle timestamp datatype.

                      --- David Kurtz <info2@go-faster. co.uk> wrote:

                      > This is would be a hetrogeneous database link. You
                      > need to set up
                      > Hetrogeneous Database services. Its not very
                      > difficult, it requires an
                      > Oracle Listener on a Windows server which will then
                      > access the SQLServer
                      > ODBC Driver.
                      >
                      > HS gives you full transactional control. The
                      > standard guidance for links
                      > still applies. Keep the SQL simple. Only reference
                      > one remote object in
                      > any one query (if you need to join remote objects,
                      > join them in a view on
                      > the remote database and reference the view), Think
                      > about how many
                      > concurrent sessions are going to reference the link.
                      >
                      > I can't remember if HS is a licence option.
                      >
                      > If this is a one-off export/import task then the
                      > SQLLoader option is
                      > probably easier.
                      >

                      > And remember that Long columns are going to give you
                      > a headache either way.
                      >
                      > regards
                      > ____________ _________ ____
                      > David Kurtz
                      > Go-Faster Consultancy Ltd.
                      > tel: +44 (0)7771 760660
                      > fax: +44 (0)7092 348865
                      > mailto:david.kurtz@ go-faster. co.uk
                      > web: www.go-faster. co.uk
                      > Book: PeopleSoft for the Oracle DBA:
                      > http://www.psftdba. com
                      > <http://www.psftdba. com/>
                      > The PeopleSoft DBA Blog: http://psftdba. blogspot. com
                      > <http://psftdba. blogspot. com/>
                      > PeopleSoft DBA Forum:
                      > http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/psftdba
                      >
                      > _____

                      http://tools. search.yahoo. com/toolbar/ features/ mail/

                    • leavens_summit
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 11, 2007
                        Vinay,

                        On the off chance this is peoplesoft data, how about the export/import
                        commands in datamover? I've not tried it across database types though.

                        John Leavens

                        --- In psftdba@yahoogroups.com, vinay nagaraj <v4vinay@...> wrote:

                        > Guys,
                        >
                        > I have a SQL server table with some data in it.
                        > Does anybody know how to convert it into Oracle
                        > without any third party tool.
                        >
                        > Thanks...

                        > Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.

                      • vinay nagaraj
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 12, 2007
                          Thanks guys..I got this resolved.
                          I created a table in Oracle with similar coulumns as
                          in the SQL server. I used SQL server DTS to transfer
                          data...

                          Thanks for all ur inputs...

                          --- leavens_summit <johnl@...>
                          wrote:

                          > Vinay,
                          >
                          > On the off chance this is peoplesoft data, how about
                          > the export/import
                          > commands in datamover? I've not tried it across
                          > database types though.
                          >
                          > John Leavens
                          >

                          > --- In psftdba@yahoogroups.com, vinay nagaraj
                          > <v4vinay@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Guys,
                          > >
                          > > I have a SQL server table with some data in it.
                          > > Does anybody know how to convert it into Oracle
                          > > without any third party tool.
                          > >
                          > > Thanks...

                          > > Expecting? Get great news right away with email
                          > Auto-Check.
                          > > Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.

                        • Duncan Davies
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jun 12, 2007
                            Most of the time Data Moving between Oracle and SQL Server works fine.

                            You may have to do some editing of the DAT file if you have dates prior to 1900 etc.

                            kind regards

                            Duncan

                            On the off chance this is peoplesoft data, how about the export/import
                            commands in datamover? I've not tried it across database types though.

                            John Leavens

                            --- In psftdba@yahoogroups .com, vinay nagaraj <v4vinay@... > wrote:

                            > Guys,

                            have a SQL server table with some data in it.
                            > Does anybody know how to
                            convert it into Oracle
                            > without any third party tool.

                            Thanks...