RE: PeopleSoft DBA Forum Installing the COBOL Compiler

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 25, 2007
      I have always installed it as root; that way the license manager and other
      components can't be messed with.

      services for 40 hours a week, not purchasing your soul. Your time is the
      only real finite asset that you have, and once used it can never be

      "Time is the coin of your life. It is the only coin you have, and only you
      can determine how it will be spent. Be careful lest you let other people
      spend it for you." -- Carl Sandburg (1878 - 1967)

      It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument. -- William G. McAdoo

      Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and
      by the rulers as useful. -- Seneca

      "I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because
      I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

      ----Original Message Follows----

      On UNIX, does the COBOL compiler really need to be installed by root,
      or can it be installed by another user such as psoft?

      Thanks,

      Bob Joye
      International Speedway Corporation

      MSN is giving away a trip to Vegas to see Elton John.� Enter to win today.
      http://msnconcertcontest.com?icid-nceltontagline
    • srinivasan raghuraman
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 25, 2007
        We do samething and that is the better way to run the Cobol license manager.

         We initiate cobol runtime program as a root(solaris)

        mF:2345:wait:sh /fsdata/apps/cobol/aslmf/appinit.sh
        mF:2345:wait:sh /etc/mflmrcscript

        compile following cobol program - appinit.cbl
        cat appinit.cbl
               DISPLAY "Application Server Licensing initialized".

        run the same in inittab - appinit.sh

        Regards
        Raghu

[...]

        PeopleSoft for the Oracle DBA is published by Apress - see http://www.psftdba.com.