PeopleSoft DBA Forum Re: Usage of VMWare

  • sabrecsuk
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1, 2007
      Raghu,

      The simple, unqualified answers follow: Virtualisation does not help
      performance. Virtualisation eases infrastructure management. This
      is regardless of the virtualisation tool used.

      One thing Philip Eaton mentions is that cost/benefit really only
      starts paying off when you consider co-hosting multiple applications
      (e.g. multiple virtual machines on a "super-server").

      If your server is large enough, you should have no additional
      problems introduced by virtualisation. If you are already pushing
      your hardware to its limit, virtualisation will only get in the road.

      In my current client site, there is an idea of a "CPU pool".
      Although a certain amount of CPU usage is guaranteed to each virtual
      machine, it is possible for them to grab unused CPU from this pool.
      In this way, your month end process might normally look like any
      other machine, but when processing it allocates an extra 3 CPUs for
      example. This happens "on the fly" - no need for a reboot.

      Of course to use it in production, this requires good planning to
      ensure that you don't overallocate resource on the hardware. As
      usual, it's about getting it right in the first place - which means
      your entire business strategy must be based around virtualisation.

      There are other benefits I mentioned, but hopefully this answers your
      question.

      Cameron

      --- In psftdba@yahoogroups.com, srinivasan raghuraman
      <sriniraghuraman@...> wrote:

      > Hi Cameron
      >
      > I completely agree with you as a consultant you can have vmware on
      your laptop and run peoplesoft for demo.

      > Imagine machine critical application with an average 5000 users
      traffic with 700gig to 1 TB db size.

      > Everyday you have 200 scheduled jobs running with heavy
      Query/reporting load.

      > VMware -ESx server can run on Redhat / Windows in other words Intel
      platform. What do you think on performance/load ?.

      > Even monthend/yearend process taking lot of time on Solaris/Aix or
      Hp environment with good sized CPU's. Do you still feel that
      Virtualization will do good job.

      > Regards
      > Raghu
    • James Blanding
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 1, 2007
        See also Solution 200955472 or the Platform Certification FAQ,
        question 2 under Additional Components.

        --- In psftdba@yahoogroups.com, "Phillip Eaton" <phillip.eaton@...> wrote:

        > Hi Everyone,
        >
        > About 18 months ago I discussed running PeopleSoft on VMware with
        PeopleSoft Customer Connection. I specifically asked them if it was a
        supported configuration.

        > (Eventually) They told me that the if the OS was supported by
        PeopleSoft (in my case Solaris) and the software running under the OS
        was supported (e.g. Oracle database, Tuxedo etc) then the PeopleSoft
        would support my installation. The hardware platform that the OS was
        running on was deemed irrelevent.

        > We never upgraded in the end and PeopleSoft's stance may have
        changed since then, but I've not seen anything mentioned anywhere one
        way or another, and I think it would be foolish for them to ignore it.

        > VMware is pretty much a default installation technology for new
        systems and upgrades where I work, I specify them every time and have
        not had any problems yet.

        > We are finding the price/performance ratio is very favourable if the
        server(s) is spread across several applications.

        > Phillip Eaton

        {font-size:13px;font-family:arial,helvetica,clean,sans-serif;}
> [...]
        > clear:both;
        > border:1px solid #e0ecee;
        > }
        > #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
        > font-weight:bold;
        > color:#ff7900;
        > float:right;
        > width:2em;
        > text-align:right;
        > padding-right:.5em;
        > }
        > #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
        > font-weight:bold;
        > }
        > #ygrp-vital a {
        > text-decoration:none;
        > }
        >
        > #ygrp-vital a:hover{
        > text-decoration:underline;
        > }
        >
        > #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
        > color:#999;
        > font-size:77%;
        > }
        > #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
        > padding:6px 13px;
        > background-color:#e0ecee;
        > margin-bottom:20px;
        > }
        > #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
        > padding:0 0 0 8px;
        > margin:0;
        > }
        > #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
        > list-style-type:square;
        > padding:6px 0;
        > font-size:77%;
        > }
        > #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
        > text-decoration:none;
        > font-size:130%;
        > }
        > #ygrp-sponsor #nc {
        > background-color:#eee;
        > margin-bottom:20px;
        > padding:0 8px;
        > }
        > #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
        > padding:8px 0;
        > }
        > #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
        > font-family:Arial;
        > font-weight:bold;
        > color:#628c2a;
        > font-size:100%;
        > line-height:122%;
        > }
        > #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
        > text-decoration:none;
        > }
        > #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
        > text-decoration:underline;
        > }
        > #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
        > margin:0;
        > }
        > o {font-size:0;}
        > .MsoNormal {
        > margin:0 0 0 0;
        > }
        > #ygrp-text tt{
        > font-size:120%;
        > }
        > blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
        > .replbq {margin:4;}
        > -->

        > TV dinner still cooling?
        > http://tv.yahoo.com/

        > "Gulf International Bank (UK) Limited and Gulf International Bank
        BSC are regulated in the United Kingdom by the Financial Services
        Authority and in the United States of America by The Office of the
        Comptroller of the Currency. Gulf International Bank (UK) Limited and
        Gulf International Bank BSC in the United Kingdom have their office at
        One Knightsbridge, London, SW1X 7XS: Tel +44 (0)20 7259 3456 and in
        the United States of America have their office at 330 Madison Avenue,
        37th Floor, New York, NY 10017: Tel +1 (212) 922 2300. This e-mail
        message and any file transmitted with it is confidential to the
        intended recipient and may contain confidential and or legally
        privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, you may
        not copy, distribute or disclose the contents to anyone, nor take any
        action in reliance on its contents. Should you receive this message in
        error, please delete it and all copies of it from your system
        immediately, destroying any hard copies and notifying the sender.
        Please note that any email sent to, or from The Gulf International
        Bank Group may be monitored for content. Virus checking is the
        responsibility of the recipient. The Gulf International Bank Group
        does not accept any legal responsibility for the content of this
        message or any attachments. Gulf International Bank (UK) Limited is
        incorporated in England and Wales with number 1223938: its registered
        office is One Knightsbridge, London, SW1X 7XS. Gulf International Bank
        BSC is incorporated in the Kingdom of Bahrain with commercial
        registration number 4660: its registered office is PO Box 1017, Al
        Dowali Building, 3 Palace Avenue, Manama, Kingdom of Bahrain."