RE: PeopleSoft DBA Forum Re: Usage of VMWare

  • Phillip Eaton
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 28 3:49 PM
      Hi Everyone,

      About 18 months ago I discussed running PeopleSoft on VMware with PeopleSoft Customer Connection. I specifically asked them if it was a supported configuration.

      (Eventually) They told me that the if the OS was supported by PeopleSoft (in my case Solaris) and the software running under the OS was supported (e.g. Oracle database, Tuxedo etc) then the PeopleSoft would support my installation. The hardware platform that the OS was running on was deemed irrelevent.

      We never upgraded in the end and PeopleSoft's stance may have changed since then, but I've not seen anything mentioned anywhere one way or another, and I think it would be foolish for them to ignore it.

      VMware is pretty much a default installation technology for new systems and upgrades where I work, I specify them every time and have not had any problems yet.

      We are finding the price/performance ratio is very favourable if the server(s) is spread across several applications.

      Phillip Eaton

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 1, 2007
        Raghu,

        The simple, unqualified answers follow: Virtualisation does not help
        performance. Virtualisation eases infrastructure management. This
        is regardless of the virtualisation tool used.

        One thing Philip Eaton mentions is that cost/benefit really only
        starts paying off when you consider co-hosting multiple applications
        (e.g. multiple virtual machines on a "super-server").

        If your server is large enough, you should have no additional
        problems introduced by virtualisation. If you are already pushing
        your hardware to its limit, virtualisation will only get in the road.

        In my current client site, there is an idea of a "CPU pool".
        Although a certain amount of CPU usage is guaranteed to each virtual
        machine, it is possible for them to grab unused CPU from this pool.
        In this way, your month end process might normally look like any
        other machine, but when processing it allocates an extra 3 CPUs for
        example. This happens "on the fly" - no need for a reboot.

        Of course to use it in production, this requires good planning to
        ensure that you don't overallocate resource on the hardware. As
        usual, it's about getting it right in the first place - which means
        your entire business strategy must be based around virtualisation.

        There are other benefits I mentioned, but hopefully this answers your
        question.

        Cameron

        --- In psftdba@yahoogroups.com, srinivasan raghuraman
        <sriniraghuraman@...> wrote:

        > Hi Cameron
        >
        > I completely agree with you as a consultant you can have vmware on
        your laptop and run peoplesoft for demo.

        > Imagine machine critical application with an average 5000 users
        traffic with 700gig to 1 TB db size.

        > Everyday you have 200 scheduled jobs running with heavy
        Query/reporting load.

        > VMware -ESx server can run on Redhat / Windows in other words Intel
        platform. What do you think on performance/load ?.

        > Even monthend/yearend process taking lot of time on Solaris/Aix or
        Hp environment with good sized CPU's. Do you still feel that
        Virtualization will do good job.

        > Regards
        > Raghu
      • James Blanding
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 1, 2007
          See also Solution 200955472 or the Platform Certification FAQ,
          question 2 under Additional Components.

          --- In psftdba@yahoogroups.com, "Phillip Eaton" <phillip.eaton@...> wrote:

          > Hi Everyone,
          >
          > About 18 months ago I discussed running PeopleSoft on VMware with
          PeopleSoft Customer Connection. I specifically asked them if it was a
          supported configuration.

          > (Eventually) They told me that the if the OS was supported by
          PeopleSoft (in my case Solaris) and the software running under the OS
          was supported (e.g. Oracle database, Tuxedo etc) then the PeopleSoft
          would support my installation. The hardware platform that the OS was
          running on was deemed irrelevent.

          > We never upgraded in the end and PeopleSoft's stance may have
          changed since then, but I've not seen anything mentioned anywhere one
          way or another, and I think it would be foolish for them to ignore it.

          > VMware is pretty much a default installation technology for new
          systems and upgrades where I work, I specify them every time and have
          not had any problems yet.

          > We are finding the price/performance ratio is very favourable if the
          server(s) is spread across several applications.

          > Phillip Eaton

          {font-size:13px;font-family:arial,helvetica,clean,sans-serif;}