Mass migration of Project definitions

  • Panikulam Vivek
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 14, 2007
      Hi All

      The need is to migrate about 200 odd PS project definitions (not the objects) from one PS environment to another. My guess is inserting the rows into PSPROJECTDEFN and PROJECTITEM tables in the target environment would be sufficient instead of manually migrating each project definition through Application Designer. Please let me know if there are other methods you would think that would get this task done faster/better.

      ciao
      Vivek Panikulam

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 14, 2007
        Do it the right way, rather than trying to cut corners; that way you don't
        get left hung out to dry when you miss something.

        services for 40 hours a week, not purchasing your soul. Your time is the
        only real finite asset that you have, and once used it can never be

        "Time is the coin of your life. It is the only coin you have, and only you
        can determine how it will be spent. Be careful lest you let other people
        spend it for you." -- Carl Sandburg (1878 - 1967)

        It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument. -- William G. McAdoo

        Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and
        by the rulers as useful. -- Seneca

        "I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because
        I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

        ----Original Message Follows----

        Hi All

        The need is to migrate about 200 odd PS project definitions (not the
        objects) from one PS environment to another. My guess is inserting the rows
        into PSPROJECTDEFN and PROJECTITEM tables in the target environment would be
        sufficient instead of manually migrating each project definition through
        Application Designer. Please let me know if there are other methods you
        would think that would get this task done faster/better.

        ciao
        Vivek Panikulam

        Live.com page.
        http://www.live.com/?addTemplate=ValentinesDay&ocid=T001MSN30A0701
      • Brian & Sharalyn Griffin
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 15, 2007
          Hi Vivek,

          At UC Riverside, we migrated from PS6 to PS8.44 within 3 days. One of
          the final steps we used to migrate our development projects into
          Production was to create a SQL file that scanned the PSPROJECTDEFN
          table and created an output DOS batch file that was a series of
          command line calls to the Application Designer (pside.exe) that, when
          executed, copied ~88 projects from our development database into the
          newly migrated Production database. It was quite simple and saved
          alot of mind-numbing monkey work. If you're interested, please me
          know and I'll pass along a sample file.
          ~Brian

          --- In psftdba@yahoogroups.com, Panikulam Vivek <vivekpanikulam@...>
          wrote:

          > Hi All
          >
          > The need is to migrate about 200 odd PS project definitions (not
          the objects) from one PS environment to another. My guess is
          inserting the rows into PSPROJECTDEFN and PROJECTITEM tables in the
          target environment would be sufficient instead of manually migrating
          each project definition through Application Designer. Please let me
          know if there are other methods you would think that would get this
          task done faster/better.

          > ciao
          > Vivek Panikulam
          >

          > ---------------------------------
          > Here's a new way to find what you're looking for - Yahoo! Answers

        • Panikulam Vivek
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 15, 2007
            Hi

            Thanks for the response. My goal was to reduce chances of human error as well as the mind-numbing monkey work ;-). It would be great if you can pass on the sample file. Thanks.

            Regards
            Vivek Panikulam

            wrote:

            > Hi All
            >
            > The need is to migrate about 200 odd PS project definitions (not
            the objects) from one PS environment to another. My guess is
            inserting the rows into PSPROJECTDEFN and PROJECTITEM tables in the
            target environment would be sufficient instead of manually migrating
            each project definition through Application Designer. Please let me
            know if there are other methods you would think that would get this
            task done faster/better.

            > ciao
            > Vivek Panikulam
            >

            > ------------ --------- --------- ---
            > Here's a new way to find what you're looking for - Yahoo! Answers

          • James Blanding
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 16, 2007
              I received a pair of Data Mover scripts from the Oracle Upgrade Lab
              during our Financials upgrade last year. Turns out there are 7 tables
              one needs to be concerned with:

              PSPROJECTDEFN
              PSPROJECTITEM
              PSPROJDEFNLANG
              PSPROJECTDEP
              PSPROJECTINC
              PSPROJECTMSG
              PSPROJECTSEC

              The first script just exports from each of those tables where
              PROJECTNAME = 'name_of_project'. The second script sets IGNORE_DUPS
              and then imports each of those tables. I can post the actual scripts
              if you're interested, but there's not much to them really.

              I tried to write equivalent SQL*Plus scripts using INSERT-SELECT and
              nifty subqueries, but PSPROJECTDEFN and PSPROJDEFNLANG each contain a
              LONG column. >:(

              --James

              wrote:

              > Hi All
              >
              > The need is to migrate about 200 odd PS project definitions (not
              the objects) from one PS environment to another. My guess is inserting
              the rows into PSPROJECTDEFN and PROJECTITEM tables in the target
              environment would be sufficient instead of manually migrating each
              project definition through Application Designer. Please let me know if
              there are other methods you would think that would get this task done
              faster/better.

              > ciao
              > Vivek Panikulam
              >

              > ---------------------------------
              > Here's a new way to find what you're looking for - Yahoo! Answers

            • Subair
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 20, 2007

                We are on PT 8.46 and using STAT to migrate the projects. STAT internally execute DMS scripts to migrate the projects. Here is an export script generated  by STAT.

                SET OUTPUT x.dat;
                SET LOG x.log;
                SET NO TRACE;
                EXPORT PSPROJECTDEFN WHERE PROJECTNAME = 'x';
                EXPORT PSPROJECTITEM WHERE PROJECTNAME = 'x';
                EXPORT PSPROJECTMSG WHERE PROJECTNAME = 'x';
                EXPORT PSPROJECTSEC WHERE PROJECTNAME = 'x';
                EXPORT PSPROJDEFNLANG WHERE PROJECTNAME = 'x';
                EXPORT PSPROJECTDEP WHERE PROJECTNAME = 'x';
                EXPORT PSPROJECTINC WHERE PROJECTNAME = 'x';
                EXPORT PSPROJECTWORK WHERE PROJECTNAME = 'x';

                thanks,subair