Re: PeopleSoft DBA Forum Kernel Parameters

  • leavens_summit
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 1, 2007
      David,

      I'm working on same issue.

      My current project uses large XML msgs, some as large as 300K. They
      are Synchronous so they go through the PSAPPSRV queue. Is there a
      some type of logging to see when large messages are written to disk?

      Tux is running on a Windows platform. On Unix I've seen the temp
      files. Where are they stored in Windows? The BEA's edoc site from
      you book didn't really say.

      Per the BEA doc a 300k msg would go to disk if max queue size was 428k
      (> 70%). I have 2 domains so to break out the 20 app processes into 2
      queues. The maximum number of queues defaults to 256, spot checks of
      "ipcs -q" shows 100 queues, so I'm thinking that 150 would be
      sufficient. Any thoughts what causes the number of queues to increase ?

      I was also thinking that I'll only have 2 large queue's the rest will
      be very small in comparison. The above configuration (428K max queue
      and 256 queue count ) works out to 111M of queue space, I'd like to
      reduce this if possible because I don't really need 256 428K queues.
      Do you know how the queue memory allocation works on a Window's system?

      Any thought on performance techniques for large messages. I am
      planning to test Jumbo Frames to increase network through put and
      -verbosegc to see if I'm running in to low jvm mem conditions as CPU
      is pretty heavily utilized.

      Have read you book, many section multiple times. It is GREAT, have
      recommeded it to several Oracle and SQL Server DBA's, it's agnostic
      enough to be a real help to even SQL Server DBA's.

      Thanks,

      John Leavens
      ApexIT - DBA/Admin

      --- In psftdba@yahoogroups.com, "David Kurtz" <info2@...> wrote:

      > The parameters that matter are MSGMAX and MSGMNB
      >
      > The following warning appears in all versions of the Tuxedo manual,
      and it
      > applies to all operating systems (yes, including Windows):
      >
      > "If the limit specified by any of [the IPC] parameters is exceeded,
      then a
      > blocking condition occurs. There is one exception to this rule: MSGMAX.
      > Messages that exceed 75 percent of MSGMNB, or that are larger than
      MSGMAX,
      > are placed in a UNIX file. A very small message containing the
      filename is
      > then sent to the recipient. Because this mode of operation results in a
      > severe reduction in performance, [BEA] strongly recommend that you avoid
      > it."
      > see http//edocs.bea.com/tuxedo/tux81/install/insappd.htm
      >
      > Messages of up to 100KB are common in PeopleTools 8.4. I would suggest
      > increasing the maximum message size to at least 128Kb and
      preferrably 256KB.
      > The maximum queue size must be at least as large the maximum
      messages size
      > and I would generally recommend it should be at least twice the maximum
      > message size (so the queue can hold at least two messages).
      >
      > regards
      > _________________________
      > David Kurtz
      > Go-Faster Consultancy Ltd.
      > tel: +44 (0)7771 760660
      > fax: +44 (0)7092 348865
      > mailto:david.kurtz@...
      > web: www.go-faster.co.uk
      > Book: PeopleSoft for the Oracle DBA: http://www.psftdba.com
      > The PeopleSoft DBA Blog: http://psftdba.blogspot.com
      Behalf Of

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 2, 2007
        Comments in line
        --- In psftdba@yahoogroups.com, "leavens_summit" <johnl@...> wrote:
        > Is there a type of logging to see when large messages are written
        to disk?

        I am not aware of any way to log this directly. You can get message
        sizes from the TUXLOG if you set 'chtr on' in tmadmin, or from the PeopleSoft performance monitor (transaction 115).

        > Tux is running on a Windows platform. On Unix I've seen the temp
        > files. Where are they stored in Windows? The BEA's edoc site from
        > you book didn't really say.

        On Unix you sometimes get empty tx directories left behind in /tmp
        when for some reason it fails to delete the directories. I have
        never seen anything similar on Windows.

        > Per the BEA doc a 300k msg would go to disk if max queue size was
        428k (> 70%).

        Should be 75%, so >321K.

        > I have 2 domains so to break out the 20 app processes into 2
        > queues.

        You don't need 2 domains for this, you can customise multiple queues in a single domain. However, it is administratively useful to have more than one domain anyway.

        It can also be useful to separate on-line and pubsub activity into separate domains.

        > The maximum number of queues defaults to 256, spot checks of
        > "ipcs -q" shows 100 queues, so I'm thinking that 150 would be
        > sufficient. Any thoughts what causes the number of queues to
        increase ?

        There are more IPC queues that revealed by PQ in tmadmin (since you
        have the book - figure 2-10). There is a return queue for each WSH
        and JSH process, and there is an administrative queue for every
        server process. These queues are created when the related server
        starts.

        Do you really need 20 PSAPPSRVs? How many CPUs have you got? How
        many active PSAPPSRV processes will result in the application server
        node being 100% utilitised? If you have more than 2 PSAPPSRVs per
        CPU then you probably have too many. If you are worried about 111M
        for queues, how much memory are 20 PSAPPSRVs consuming?

        > I was also thinking that I'll only have 2 large queue's the rest
        will
        > be very small in comparison. The above configuration (428K max
        queue
        > and 256 queue count ) works out to 111M of queue space, I'd like to
        > reduce this if possible because I don't really need 256 428K
        queues.
        > Do you know how the queue memory allocation works on a Window's
        system?

        IPC queue size is a kernel parameter and so affects the whole
        machine. All the queues are the same size, you cannot have different queues of different sizes. On Windows it is exactly the same, the Unix Kernel is emulated by the IPC Helper process administered via the Control Panel utility.

        > Any thought on performance techniques for large messages. I am
        > planning to test Jumbo Frames to increase network through put and
        > -verbosegc to see if I'm running in to low jvm mem conditions as CPU
        > is pretty heavily utilized.

        These messages are by their nature asynchronous. Is the performance
        of these messages more important than ordinary on-line activity? If
        you don't have enough memory to allocate to IPC queues, then don't.
        We are only talking about the time to write them to and read them
        from a local disk. Much more time will be spent processing the XML
        message itself when it reaches the PSAPPSRV.

        Are you concentrating on the thing that is taking the most time?
      • magainps
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 11, 2007
          David,

          This seems to be the issue with MSGMNI parameter because I am also
          seeing the error message "No space left on device" which point that
          it could be the case of running out of message queue identifiers.

          LIBTUX_CAT:248: ERROR: System init function failed, Uunixerr = :
          msgget: No space left on device
          CMDTUX_CAT:825: ERROR: Process PSMONITORSRV at hcmupt84sd failed
          with /T tperrno (TPEOS - operating system error)

          The Minimum requirement for MSGMNI can be determined by the
          following formula:

          MSGMNI= MAXACCESSERS + 7
          + (number of servers with REPLYQ)
          + (number of MSSQ sets)
          - (number of servers in MSSQ sets)

          Can you suggest me the way to use the above formula that is what is
          MSSQ sets and number of servers in MSSQ sets?

          Can we adjust the IPC parameters keeping in view configuration
          paramaters of all the domains configured on one box.
          do I need to check that how many PSAPPSRV,PSQUCKSRV,PSQRYSRV and
          other servers process configured in all the domains and than based
          on the above i need to set the IPC parameters.

          Chap.

        • magainps
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 31, 2007
            David,

            As per your suggestion, MSGMAX should be the max message size
            preferably it should be 256KB and max queue size that is MSGMNB should
            be the two times of the message size...can you also suggest the way to
            calculate the other parameters value such as MSGSEG,
            MSGTQL,SEMMAP,SEMMNI,SEMMNU,SEMUME,SEMMSL,SHMMIN,SHMMNI,SHMSEG.

            Formula for calculating the SEMMNI is SEMMNS=SEMMNI*SEMMSL, its also
            been suggested to check using boot -c command on tmadmin but for
            SEMMNI it is showing A+1 which is bit confusing..

            chaps
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 1, 2007
              As far as Tuxedo is concerned, the only kernel parameters you need to worry about changing are those relating to the message queues

              Tuxedo only uses 3 shared memory segment per domain, of which the Bulletin Board accounts for most of the size.  You simply need sufficent room for the BBs in all domains.  I've never had to increase those parameters.

              You need to ensure that you have the ability to create sufficient message queues and also that

              MSGMNI (number of message queues) * MSGMNB (message queue size) >= MSGSEG (number of message segments) * MSGSSZ (message segment size)