Kernel Parameters

  • magainps
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 27, 2006
      Hello,

      I am trying to create new app server and process scheduler domains
      on Unix box(solaris). The number of domains will be ten on one box
      with some five appserver(PSAPPSRV) processes on each domain. Can
      anybody suggest the underlying Kernel parameters values so as
      domains can be booted up without any message queue errors.
      Kernel parameters like
      I need to know how parameters value can be set based on the number of
      domains configured with number of server process like PSAPPSRV in one
      domian.

      MSGMAP
      MSGMAX
      MSGMNB
      MSGMNI
      MSGSEG
      MSGTQL
      SEMMAP
      SEMMNI
      SEMMNU
      SEMUME
      SEMMNS
      SEMMSL

      chaps,
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 1, 2007
        The parameters that matter are MSGMAX and MSGMNB

        The following warning appears in all versions of the Tuxedo manual, and it
        applies to all operating systems (yes, including Windows):

        "If the limit specified by any of [the IPC] parameters is exceeded, then a
        blocking condition occurs. There is one exception to this rule: MSGMAX.
        Messages that exceed 75 percent of MSGMNB, or that are larger than MSGMAX,
        are placed in a UNIX file. A very small message containing the filename is
        then sent to the recipient. Because this mode of operation results in a
        severe reduction in performance, [BEA] strongly recommend that you avoid
        it."
        see http//edocs.bea.com/tuxedo/tux81/install/insappd.htm

        Messages of up to 100KB are common in PeopleTools 8.4. I would suggest
        increasing the maximum message size to at least 128Kb and preferrably 256KB.
        The maximum queue size must be at least as large the maximum messages size
        and I would generally recommend it should be at least twice the maximum
        message size (so the queue can hold at least two messages).

        The PeopleSoft DBA Blog: http://psftdba.blogspot.com

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 1, 2007
          David,

          I'm working on same issue.

          My current project uses large XML msgs, some as large as 300K. They
          are Synchronous so they go through the PSAPPSRV queue. Is there a
          some type of logging to see when large messages are written to disk?

          Tux is running on a Windows platform. On Unix I've seen the temp
          files. Where are they stored in Windows? The BEA's edoc site from
          you book didn't really say.

          Per the BEA doc a 300k msg would go to disk if max queue size was 428k
          (> 70%). I have 2 domains so to break out the 20 app processes into 2
          queues. The maximum number of queues defaults to 256, spot checks of
          "ipcs -q" shows 100 queues, so I'm thinking that 150 would be
          sufficient. Any thoughts what causes the number of queues to increase ?

          I was also thinking that I'll only have 2 large queue's the rest will
          be very small in comparison. The above configuration (428K max queue
          and 256 queue count ) works out to 111M of queue space, I'd like to
          reduce this if possible because I don't really need 256 428K queues.
          Do you know how the queue memory allocation works on a Window's system?

          Any thought on performance techniques for large messages. I am
          planning to test Jumbo Frames to increase network through put and
          -verbosegc to see if I'm running in to low jvm mem conditions as CPU
          is pretty heavily utilized.

          Have read you book, many section multiple times. It is GREAT, have
          recommeded it to several Oracle and SQL Server DBA's, it's agnostic
          enough to be a real help to even SQL Server DBA's.

          Thanks,

          John Leavens
          ApexIT - DBA/Admin

          --- In psftdba@yahoogroups.com, "David Kurtz" <info2@...> wrote:

          > The parameters that matter are MSGMAX and MSGMNB
          >
          > The following warning appears in all versions of the Tuxedo manual,
          and it
          > applies to all operating systems (yes, including Windows):
          >
          > "If the limit specified by any of [the IPC] parameters is exceeded,
          then a
          > blocking condition occurs. There is one exception to this rule: MSGMAX.
          > Messages that exceed 75 percent of MSGMNB, or that are larger than
          MSGMAX,
          > are placed in a UNIX file. A very small message containing the
          filename is
          > then sent to the recipient. Because this mode of operation results in a
          > severe reduction in performance, [BEA] strongly recommend that you avoid
          > it."
          > see http//edocs.bea.com/tuxedo/tux81/install/insappd.htm
          >
          > Messages of up to 100KB are common in PeopleTools 8.4. I would suggest
          > increasing the maximum message size to at least 128Kb and
          preferrably 256KB.
          > The maximum queue size must be at least as large the maximum
          messages size
          > and I would generally recommend it should be at least twice the maximum
          > message size (so the queue can hold at least two messages).
          >
          > regards
          > _________________________
          > David Kurtz
          > Go-Faster Consultancy Ltd.
          > tel: +44 (0)7771 760660
          > fax: +44 (0)7092 348865
          > mailto:david.kurtz@...
          > web: www.go-faster.co.uk
          > Book: PeopleSoft for the Oracle DBA: http://www.psftdba.com
          > The PeopleSoft DBA Blog: http://psftdba.blogspot.com
          Behalf Of

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 2, 2007
            Comments in line
            --- In psftdba@yahoogroups.com, "leavens_summit" <johnl@...> wrote:
            > Is there a type of logging to see when large messages are written
            to disk?

            I am not aware of any way to log this directly. You can get message
            sizes from the TUXLOG if you set 'chtr on' in tmadmin, or from the PeopleSoft performance monitor (transaction 115).

            > Tux is running on a Windows platform. On Unix I've seen the temp
            > files. Where are they stored in Windows? The BEA's edoc site from
            > you book didn't really say.

            On Unix you sometimes get empty tx directories left behind in /tmp
            when for some reason it fails to delete the directories. I have
            never seen anything similar on Windows.

            > Per the BEA doc a 300k msg would go to disk if max queue size was
            428k (> 70%).

            Should be 75%, so >321K.

            > I have 2 domains so to break out the 20 app processes into 2
            > queues.

            You don't need 2 domains for this, you can customise multiple queues in a single domain. However, it is administratively useful to have more than one domain anyway.

            It can also be useful to separate on-line and pubsub activity into separate domains.

            > The maximum number of queues defaults to 256, spot checks of
            > "ipcs -q" shows 100 queues, so I'm thinking that 150 would be
            > sufficient. Any thoughts what causes the number of queues to
            increase ?

            There are more IPC queues that revealed by PQ in tmadmin (since you
            have the book - figure 2-10). There is a return queue for each WSH
            and JSH process, and there is an administrative queue for every
            server process. These queues are created when the related server
            starts.

            Do you really need 20 PSAPPSRVs? How many CPUs have you got? How
            many active PSAPPSRV processes will result in the application server
            node being 100% utilitised? If you have more than 2 PSAPPSRVs per
            CPU then you probably have too many. If you are worried about 111M
            for queues, how much memory are 20 PSAPPSRVs consuming?

            > I was also thinking that I'll only have 2 large queue's the rest
            will
            > be very small in comparison. The above configuration (428K max
            queue
            > and 256 queue count ) works out to 111M of queue space, I'd like to
            > reduce this if possible because I don't really need 256 428K
            queues.
            > Do you know how the queue memory allocation works on a Window's
            system?

            IPC queue size is a kernel parameter and so affects the whole
            machine. All the queues are the same size, you cannot have different queues of different sizes. On Windows it is exactly the same, the Unix Kernel is emulated by the IPC Helper process administered via the Control Panel utility.

            > Any thought on performance techniques for large messages. I am
            > planning to test Jumbo Frames to increase network through put and
            > -verbosegc to see if I'm running in to low jvm mem conditions as CPU
            > is pretty heavily utilized.

            These messages are by their nature asynchronous. Is the performance
            of these messages more important than ordinary on-line activity? If
            you don't have enough memory to allocate to IPC queues, then don't.
            We are only talking about the time to write them to and read them
            from a local disk. Much more time will be spent processing the XML
            message itself when it reaches the PSAPPSRV.

            Are you concentrating on the thing that is taking the most time?
          • magainps
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 11, 2007
              David,

              This seems to be the issue with MSGMNI parameter because I am also
              seeing the error message "No space left on device" which point that
              it could be the case of running out of message queue identifiers.

              LIBTUX_CAT:248: ERROR: System init function failed, Uunixerr = :
              msgget: No space left on device
              CMDTUX_CAT:825: ERROR: Process PSMONITORSRV at hcmupt84sd failed
              with /T tperrno (TPEOS - operating system error)

              The Minimum requirement for MSGMNI can be determined by the
              following formula:

              MSGMNI= MAXACCESSERS + 7
              + (number of servers with REPLYQ)
              + (number of MSSQ sets)
              - (number of servers in MSSQ sets)

              Can you suggest me the way to use the above formula that is what is
              MSSQ sets and number of servers in MSSQ sets?

              Can we adjust the IPC parameters keeping in view configuration
              paramaters of all the domains configured on one box.
              do I need to check that how many PSAPPSRV,PSQUCKSRV,PSQRYSRV and
              other servers process configured in all the domains and than based
              on the above i need to set the IPC parameters.

              Chap.

            • magainps
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 31, 2007
                David,

                As per your suggestion, MSGMAX should be the max message size
                preferably it should be 256KB and max queue size that is MSGMNB should
                be the two times of the message size...can you also suggest the way to
                calculate the other parameters value such as MSGSEG,
                MSGTQL,SEMMAP,SEMMNI,SEMMNU,SEMUME,SEMMSL,SHMMIN,SHMMNI,SHMSEG.

                Formula for calculating the SEMMNI is SEMMNS=SEMMNI*SEMMSL, its also
                been suggested to check using boot -c command on tmadmin but for
                SEMMNI it is showing A+1 which is bit confusing..

                chaps
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 1, 2007
                  As far as Tuxedo is concerned, the only kernel parameters you need to worry about changing are those relating to the message queues

                  Tuxedo only uses 3 shared memory segment per domain, of which the Bulletin Board accounts for most of the size.  You simply need sufficent room for the BBs in all domains.  I've never had to increase those parameters.

                  You need to ensure that you have the ability to create sufficient message queues and also that

                  MSGMNI (number of message queues) * MSGMNB (message queue size) >= MSGSEG (number of message segments) * MSGSSZ (message segment size)