Compression of HTTP Requests

  • Graham Smith
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 27, 2006
      Web server responses can be compressed through setting a property on
      the Web Profile. This works well!

      However, whenever you leave a PIA page it's data content (or Form
      Data) is ALWAYS sent via a POST request to the web server. This is
      so the session state object can be kept up to date with any changes.
      This HTTP request object is not compressed. Even if you do not
      change any values on a page ALL of it's data will be sent back with
      the next Request.

      I am 99% certain that in Tools release 8.14 either the requests were
      compressed and/or only changed form data was sent back in the Request
      object. We did extensive testing of this just before we rolled out
      to 1000 users worldwide and we would have noticed if there was a
      problem. Something has changed since we did this testing to cause us
      severe performance problems on poor networks. Could be IE browser
      release, switch from NT to XP, Weblogic version, PeopleTools
      version? I don't know.

      My question to my friends is "Do you know of any way of compressing
      the client requests or know of anyway of preventing unchanged data
      from being included in EVERY roundtrip?"

      Thanks

      Graham