Process Scheduler and App Engines

  • Graham Smith
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 21, 2006
      Anyone running in 8.4x with their process scheduler configured to run
      AE via the new PSAESRV Tuxedo service?

      We are having endless problems with AEs staying at queued status even
      when no other AEs are running or initiated.

      GSC is suggesting reverting back to the original seperate PSAE.EXE
      method of running app engines.

      Any experiences similar to this?

      Graham
    • James Blanding
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 21, 2006
        --- In psftdba@yahoogroups.com, "Graham Smith" <gsmith@...> wrote:

        > Anyone running in 8.4x with their process scheduler configured to run
        > AE via the new PSAESRV Tuxedo service?
        >
        > We are having endless problems with AEs staying at queued status even
        > when no other AEs are running or initiated.
        >
        > GSC is suggesting reverting back to the original seperate PSAE.EXE
        > method of running app engines.
        >
        > Any experiences similar to this?
        >
        > Graham

        We had exactly this problem when we upgraded to Tools 8.45 from 8.42.
        The GSC gave us the same recommendation. They said the PSAESRV were
        primarily developed for CRM, in which many tiny AE programs are run
        very frequently. So we disabled PSAESRV and things worked fine after
        that. The analyst requested a fix for Tools 8.46.

        Then we upgraded to Tools 8.46, and a particular process, GL_EXCL_JRNL
        (we were Financials 8.4 at the time), completely broke. The process
        ran OK in a test environment under PSAESRV, but running under straight
        psae, it was crashing hard. We opened a case, and, as you might
        expect, the GSC told us to run PSAESRV, and then they proceeded to
        close the case. But we found the PSAESRV issue had not been fixed in
        8.46. We configured a separate process scheduler with PSAESRV to run
        only GL_EXCL_JRNL.

        At this point my memory blurs a bit. I know the GL_EXCL_JRNL issue
        was not going to be fixed until 8.48. We upgraded to 8.47 in May
        (along with Financials 8.9), but I can't recall if we ever tested the
        PSEAESRV issue again (I know I wanted to...).

        Anyway, that's my miserable experience.

        --James
      • James Blanding
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 21, 2006
          --- In psftdba@yahoogroups.com, "James Blanding" <stoneandkobi@...> wrote:

          > --- In psftdba@yahoogroups.com, "Graham Smith" <gsmith@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Anyone running in 8.4x with their process scheduler configured to run
          > > AE via the new PSAESRV Tuxedo service?
          > >
          > > We are having endless problems with AEs staying at queued status even
          > > when no other AEs are running or initiated.
          > >
          > > GSC is suggesting reverting back to the original seperate PSAE.EXE
          > > method of running app engines.
          > >
          > > Any experiences similar to this?
          > >
          > > Graham
          > >

          > We had exactly this problem when we upgraded to Tools 8.45 from 8.42.
          > The GSC gave us the same recommendation. They said the PSAESRV were
          > primarily developed for CRM, in which many tiny AE programs are run
          > very frequently. So we disabled PSAESRV and things worked fine after
          > that. The analyst requested a fix for Tools 8.46.
          >
          > Then we upgraded to Tools 8.46, and a particular process, GL_EXCL_JRNL
          > (we were Financials 8.4 at the time), completely broke. The process
          > ran OK in a test environment under PSAESRV, but running under straight
          > psae, it was crashing hard. We opened a case, and, as you might
          > expect, the GSC told us to run PSAESRV, and then they proceeded to
          > close the case. But we found the PSAESRV issue had not been fixed in
          > 8.46. We configured a separate process scheduler with PSAESRV to run
          > only GL_EXCL_JRNL.
          >
          > At this point my memory blurs a bit. I know the GL_EXCL_JRNL issue
          > was not going to be fixed until 8.48. We upgraded to 8.47 in May
          > (along with Financials 8.9), but I can't recall if we ever tested the
          > PSEAESRV issue again (I know I wanted to...).
          >
          > Anyway, that's my miserable experience.
          >
          > --James

          For what it's worth, we experienced the issue with PSAESRV on both
          UNIX and Windows. And it would always reoccur after we fixed it on
          the back end, usually by rebooting all process schedulers. We also
          found we could temporarily fix it by restarting the active PSMSTPRC
          process via tmadmin.

          The issue was with the Active App Engine counter in the Master
          Scheduler process. Restarting the active PSMSTPRC process would cause
          the Master Scheduler to be failed over, and the new active PSMSTPRC
          process would begin with an Active AE count of 0. The count would
          never be decremented after an AE program completed, so it would just
          increase until it hit the maximum and then no more AE programs could
          run. The evidence for this was that the Master Scheduler log would
          report "Exceeded current available PSAESRV" even though no AE programs
          were running.

          --James
        • Robert Ellis
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 22, 2006

            James,

            What flavour of unix?

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 22, 2006
              We had this issue with 8.45 tools on AIX 5.3; it started when we upgraded
              from 8.44, but didn't show it's head for like 9 months after the tools
              upgrade. We went to tools 8.47 and I think it is no longer an issue.

              pecae,

              services for 40 hours a week, not purchasing your soul. Your time is the
              only real finite asset that you have, and once used it can never be

              "Time is the coin of your life. It is the only coin you have, and only you
              can determine how it will be spent. Be careful lest you let other people
              spend it for you."

              Carl Sandburg
              (1878 - 1967)

              ----Original Message Follows----

              Be seen and heard with Windows Live Messenger and Microsoft LifeCams
              http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwme0020000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/digitalcommunication/default.mspx?locale=en-us&source=hmtagline
            • James Blanding
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 22, 2006
                AIX 5.2.

                --James

                --- In psftdba@yahoogroups.com, Robert Ellis <robert.ellis@...> wrote:

                > James,
                >
                > What flavour of unix?
                >
                > [...]
              • brian carvalho
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 25, 2006

                  I have experienced a similar problem when working with CRM on 8.47.03 PeopleTools. On contacting the Peoplesoft GSC, they suggested turning on / enabling  PSAESRV as they didnot have an immediate fix for the same. I understand your worry to turn on PSAESRV would be due to the fact that PSAESRV could be resource hungry and cause your system to slow down. But as of now I haven't heard of a fix for this issue.

                  Regards,
                  Brian.