why deleting cache..?

  • kcsenthil_mca
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 17, 2006
      hi all..

      may be this may silly question .. but im confusing with this for
      a long time.. why we have to clearing appserver cache manually..

      with regards
      KCS
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 18, 2006
        You don't have to do it manually, you can write scripts to do it.

        We do it when we do it, however, to clean out corrupt or incorrect files.
        When the application is running it will use cache if possible because that
        is faster, and if we have made certain changes, they will not take effect
        until the existing cache goes away and gets recreated. Since we don't know
        which cache file contains the incorrect piece of data, we clear them all.

        peace,
        clark

        services for 40 hours a week, not purchasing your soul. Your time is the
        only real finite asset that you have, and once used it can never be

        "Time is the coin of your life. It is the only coin you have, and only you
        can determine how it will be spent. Be careful lest you let other people
        spend it for you."

        Carl Sandburg
        (1878 - 1967)

        ----Original Message Follows----

        hi all..

        may be this may silly question .. but im confusing with this for
        a long time.. why we have to clearing appserver cache manually..

        with regards
        KCS

      • prasanna_us
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 29, 2006
          In fact if you ask the bea people they do not recommend clearing the
          cache very often. However if there is mass change, major data migration
          or security changes then you may need to clear the cache. You do not
          have to do it manually. There are scripts to do that which I will share
          later. But if you go through "psadmin" => 1) Application Server => 1)
          Administer a Domain => <DOMAIN_NAME> => 8) Purge Cache this is one way
          of doing it. If you do a minor migration there is workaround to update
          the cache. Load the migration project through application designer and
          then click validate project this should update the cache for the
          migrated objects. If you have a planned or scheduled down time, then you
          can pre load the cache. The Navigation to preload the cache is
          PeopleTools => Utilities => Administration => Load Aplication Server
          Cache. You will have to pass a directory parameter to thie application
          engine job, which the puts the cache files in the said directory. This
          job takes some time to complete (in our case it takes 4-5 hours). You
          can then copy the files from above directory to application server cache
          directories.

          The script to purge cache files

          #====================
          # WebLogic Cache files
          #=====================
          rm -rf <PS_HOME>/webserv/<DOMAIN_NAME>/applications/peoplesoft/
          PORTAL/<DOMAIN_NAME>/cache
          #=============================================
          # App Server and Process Scheduler CACHE Files
          #=============================================
          rm -rf <PS_HOME>/appserv/<DOMAIN_NAME1>/CACHE
          rm -rf <PS_HOME>/appserv/prcs/<PRCS1_NAME>/CACHE

          Hope this helps

          Prasanna

          --- In psftdba@yahoogroups.com, "the dragon" <ceprn@...> wrote:

          > You don't have to do it manually, you can write scripts to do it.
          >
          > We do it when we do it, however, to clean out corrupt or incorrect
          files.
          > When the application is running it will use cache if possible because
          that
          > is faster, and if we have made certain changes, they will not take
          effect
          > until the existing cache goes away and gets recreated. Since we don't
          know
          > which cache file contains the incorrect piece of data, we clear them
          all.

          > peace,
          > clark
          >

          > PSA: Salary <> Slavery. If you earn a salary, your employer is renting
          your
          > services for 40 hours a week, not purchasing your soul. Your time is
          the
          > only real finite asset that you have, and once used it can never be
          > recovered, so don't waste it by giving it away.
          >
          > I work to live; I don't live to work.
          >
          > "Time is the coin of your life. It is the only coin you have, and only
          you
          > can determine how it will be spent. Be careful lest you let other
          people
          > spend it for you."
          >
          > Carl Sandburg
          > (1878 - 1967)
          >
          > ----Original Message Follows----
          >
          > hi all..
          >
          > may be this may silly question .. but im confusing with this for
          > a long time.. why we have to clearing appserver cache manually..
          >

          > with regards
          > KCS

          > Is your PC infected? Get a FREE online computer virus scan from
          McAfee®

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 29, 2006
            Well, I have never talked to the BEA people, and anything I do is based upon
            professional experience with the PeopleSoft product.

> [...]

            the
            > only real finite asset that you have, and once used it can never be
            > recovered, so don't waste it by giving it away.
            >
            > I work to live; I don't live to work.
            >
            > "Time is the coin of your life. It is the only coin you have, and only
            you
            > can determine how it will be spent. Be careful lest you let other
            people
            > spend it for you."
            >
            > Carl Sandburg
            > (1878 - 1967)
            >
            > ----Original Message Follows----
            >
            > hi all..
            >
            > may be this may silly question .. but im confusing with this for
            > a long time.. why we have to clearing appserver cache manually..
            >

            > with regards
            > KCS

            > Is your PC infected? Get a FREE online computer virus scan from

            Call friends with PC-to-PC calling -- FREE
          • Robert Ellis
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 30, 2006
              Why would data migration require clearing cache? Data isn't cached. I think
              in general the comments refer to PeopleTools 8.4x only, those of us with
              8.1x through 8.2x know different.

              Robert Ellis
              PSE Data Security GmbH
              http://www.psedatasecurity.com
> [...]

              the
              > only real finite asset that you have, and once used it can never be
              > recovered, so don't waste it by giving it away.
              >
              > I work to live; I don't live to work.
              >
              > "Time is the coin of your life. It is the only coin you have, and only
              you
              > can determine how it will be spent. Be careful lest you let other
              people
              > spend it for you."
              >
              > Carl Sandburg
              > (1878 - 1967)
              >
              > ----Original Message Follows----
              >
              > hi all..
              >
              > may be this may silly question .. but im confusing with this for
              > a long time.. why we have to clearing appserver cache manually..
              >

              > with regards
              > KCS

              > Is your PC infected? Get a FREE online computer virus scan from
              McAfeeR

              Call friends with PC-to-PC calling -- FREE
              http://imagine-msn.com/messenger/launch80/default.aspx?locale=en-us&source=w
              lmailtagline

              PeopleSoft for the Oracle DBA is published by Apress - see
              http://www.psftdba.com
              The PeopleSoft DBA Forum is managed by http://www.go-faster.co.uk

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • prasanna_us
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 30, 2006
                You are right data migration would not require cache purge. READ it
                as object migration / object change definition.
                Thanks
                --- In psftdba@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Ellis" <robert.ellis@...>
                wrote:

                > Why would data migration require clearing cache? Data isn't
                cached. I think
                > in general the comments refer to PeopleTools 8.4x only, those of
                us with
                > 8.1x through 8.2x know different.
                >

                > Robert Ellis
                > PSE Data Security GmbH
                > http://www.psedatasecurity.com
                Behalf Of
> [...]
                never be
                > > recovered, so don't waste it by giving it away.
                > >
                > > I work to live; I don't live to work.
                > >
                > > "Time is the coin of your life. It is the only coin you have,
                and only
                > you
                > > can determine how it will be spent. Be careful lest you let
                other
                > people
                > > spend it for you."
                > >
                > > Carl Sandburg
                > > (1878 - 1967)
                > >
                > > ----Original Message Follows----
                > >
                > > hi all..
                > >
                > > may be this may silly question .. but im confusing with this for
                > > a long time.. why we have to clearing appserver cache manually..
                > >

                > > with regards
                > > KCS

                > > Is your PC infected? Get a FREE online computer virus scan from
                cid=3963