Re: session timeout - WebLogic

  • litbighor
    Message 1 of 4 , May 2, 2003
      Hi Henry

      From this :
      http://edocs.bea.com/wls/docs70/webapp/sessions.html#108118

      I understand that parameter #2 overrides #1.

      --- In psftdba@yahoogroups.com, "Henry Poras" <hporas@a...> wrote:
      > There are two places to set session timeout settings for my
      > WebLogic/PIA environment and I was wondering about their
      differences.
      > I have a guess, but don't know how to confirm.
      >
      > Setting #1 is in the configuration.properties file (sessionTimeout
      > and warningTimeout). These parameters are in seconds.
      >
      > Setting #2 is found via the WebLogic console at "peoplesoft>
      PORTAL>
      > Web Applications> PORTAL" : Edit Web Application Descriptor :
      Session
      > Config. This is in units of minutes.
      >
      > I have set parameter #1 (configuration.properties) without touching
      > #2. When I did this I noticed a change in when I get my warning
      > message and logout from PIA in my webbrowser. I am guessing that
      > parameter #2 is what frees the session related memory, but I have
      no
      > clue how to check this out.
      >
      > Any thoughts?
      >
      > Thanks.
      >
      > Henry
    • Henry Poras
      Message 2 of 4 , May 2, 2003
        Thanks for the docs. The web.xml file
        (BEA_HOME/config/peoplesoft/applications/WEB-INF/web.xml) is the one
        with the session config information I found on the console page.
        (changing the value on the console also changes it in web.xml).
        According to the bea documentation, this is the "time after which
        HTTP sessions expire. When a session expires, all data stored in the
        session is discarded." I tried putting this down to 1 minute while
        keeping the configuration.properties Timeout at 20 minutes.

        First test. Bring up process monitor and sit idle for ~5 minutes. I
        could refresh the page (I wasn't logged out).

        OK, but does it remember uncommited data? How can I test this? I need
        to enter data on a page with is then replaced by another page without
        saving the initial data. Still looking for a good test case.

        --- In psftdba@yahoogroups.com, "litbighor" <lehuyluan@h...> wrote:
        > Hi Henry
        >
        > From this :
        > http://edocs.bea.com/wls/docs70/webapp/sessions.html#108118
        >
        > I understand that parameter #2 overrides #1.
        >

        > --- In psftdba@yahoogroups.com, "Henry Poras" <hporas@a...> wrote:
        > > There are two places to set session timeout settings for my
        > > WebLogic/PIA environment and I was wondering about their
        > differences.
        > > I have a guess, but don't know how to confirm.
        > >
        > > Setting #1 is in the configuration.properties file
        (sessionTimeout
        > > and warningTimeout). These parameters are in seconds.
        > >
        > > Setting #2 is found via the WebLogic console at "peoplesoft>
        > PORTAL>
        > > Web Applications> PORTAL" : Edit Web Application Descriptor :
        > Session
        > > Config. This is in units of minutes.
        > >
        > > I have set parameter #1 (configuration.properties) without
        touching
        > > #2. When I did this I noticed a change in when I get my warning
        > > message and logout from PIA in my webbrowser. I am guessing that
        > > parameter #2 is what frees the session related memory, but I have
        > no
        > > clue how to check this out.
        > >
        > > Any thoughts?
        > >
        > > Thanks.
        > >
        > > Henry
      • Henry Poras
        Message 3 of 4 , May 2, 2003
          Should have waited before I sent this.

          I rebooted the web server, and found some new behavior. I changed the
          default filter at the Process Montor, did a refresh. Did another
          refresh and the new filter settings still held. Waited 2 minutes. Did
          another refresh and I was back to the default settings. It forgot my
          changes.

          Guess that's it. (but you need to boot the web server)

          Henry