App Server Recycle Count

  • Phillip Eaton
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 1, 2005
      Hello All,

      We've just moved our PeopleSoft system to a different server (same model as
      our old one, but now using an EMC SAN) and we're getting app server and
      process scheduler problems i.e. crashes or lockups.

      Config-wise, everything is the same as it was before, but I remember from
      some time ago that setting the PSAPPSRV recycle count can give benefits. Can
      anyone remind me what this was about? Currently our recycle count is set to
      1000.

      Has anyone else had problems with PSAPPSRV processes getting stuck at
      ICPanel? Sometimes it gets stuck for 5 minutes (estimated), but then frees
      itself and carries on as normal. Anyone seen that before?

      It the tuxedo logs, it always appears to be the same user that is accessing
      the system that is causing it to crash. That user isn't doing any odd and is
      running on one of our standard PCs. Any thoughts why it could be just him
      showing up in the log?

      Thanks,
      Phillip Eaton
      Gulf International Bank
      London, UK
      Sun Solaris 8 - Oracle 8.1.7.2-64 - PT8.41.20 - Financials 8.40.00
      "Gulf International Bank (UK) Limited and Gulf International Bank BSC are
      regulated in the United Kingdom by the Financial Services Authority and in
      the United States of America by The Office of the Comptroller of the
      Currency. Gulf International Bank (UK) Limited and Gulf International Bank
      BSC in the United Kingdom have their office at One Knightsbridge, London,
      SW1X 7XS: Tel +44 (0)20 7259 3456 and in the United States of America have
      their office at 330 Madison Avenue, 37th Floor, New York, NY 10017: Tel +1
      (212) 922 2300. This e-mail message and any file transmitted with it is
      confidential to the intended recipient and may contain confidential and or
      legally privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, you
      may not copy, distribute or disclose the contents to anyone, nor take any
      action in reliance on its contents. Should you receive this message in
      error, please delete it and all copies of it from your system immediately,
      destroying any hard copies and notifying the sender. Please note that any
      email sent to, or from The Gulf International Bank Group may be monitored
      for content. Virus checking is the responsibility of the recipient. The Gulf
      International Bank Group does not accept any legal responsibility for the
      content of this message or any attachments."
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 1, 2005
        When the PSAPPSRV 'gets stuck' is the process crashing and being restarted
        or does the same process continue?
        In Tuxedo 8.1 the number of services and the load done (reported in PSR)
        does not reset to 0, it continues to increase.
        In Tuxedo 6.5 it did reset to 0

        http://www.psftdba.com
        The PeopleSoft DBA Forum is managed by http://www.go-faster.co.uk

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • litbighor
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 1, 2005

          Is it the same IE version for this user ?
          What is your "Allowed Consec Service Failures" in your psapp cfg ?

          Try one thing : Recycle Count=0
        • Phillip Eaton
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 1, 2005
            We're on Tux 6.5 and running a test SQR updates the Load Done from 32400 to
            33200 on one of the PSAPPSRV processes.

            From the Tux logs, it looks like they were crashing, as there are several
            occurrences listed.

            This is also happening on our process scheduler processes - a normally fast
            running process, e.g. an allocation that normally take 10 seconds to run,
            are sometimes taking a few minutes but they do complete OK.

            I'm monitoring it a bit closer now, so I'll check them next time it happens
            and report back.

            Thanks,
            Phil

          • Robert Ellis
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 1, 2005

              It sounds more like you have a general performance issue – you’ve moved the database to a SAN and often this leads to a tuning requirement.  I’ve just been through the same thing on a client site and we needed a different stats strategy and a bit of sql tuning – several execution plans were stuffed.  As a matter of interest, are you using raw devices or jfs (jfs2?) – changing from raw to jfs2 had a dramatic (good) effect for us.

              Robert Ellis

              PSE Data Security GmbH

              http://www.psedatasecurity.com

              We're on Tux 6.5 and running a test SQR updates the Load Done from 32400 to
              33200 on one of the PSAPPSRV processes.

              >From the Tux logs, it looks like they were crashing, as there are several
              occurrences listed.

              This is also happening on our process scheduler processes - a normally fast
              running process, e.g. an allocation that normally take 10 seconds to run,
              are sometimes taking a few minutes but they do complete OK.

              I'm monitoring it a bit closer now, so I'll check them next time it happens
              and report back.

              Thanks,
              Phil

            • Siddu Muthu

                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 2, 2005
                  I wouldn't use recycle count = 0 or you'll end up with the stupid app
                  servers growing until they suck up ever available bit of RAM, and then you
                  sometimes have to reboot the hardware to recover.

                  Using a lower recycle count should keep your app servers from growing
                  (operative word is should), although putting too low of a value will cause
                  the overhead in a different way.

                  peace,
                  clark

                  services for 40 hours a week, not purchasing your soul. Your time is the
                  only real finite asset that you have, and once used it can never be

                  "Time is the coin of your life. It is the only coin you have, and only you
                  can determine how it will be spent. Be careful lest you let other people
                  spend it for you."

                  Carl Sandburg
                  (1878 - 1967)

                  ----Original Message Follows----

                  Hi,

                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 2, 2005
                    Yes I agree with you. Recycle count shouldn't be 0
                    But our App. Serv (PT 8.43.16) had many crash dumps, hangs ; Recycle
                    count=0 was the only "quick" way to make the application usable (App
                    servers still restart because of failure) while we have to check the
                    reason of dumps

                    --- In psftdba@yahoogroups.com, "the dragon" <ceprn@h...> wrote:

                    > I wouldn't use recycle count = 0 or you'll end up with the stupid
                    app
                    > servers growing until they suck up ever available bit of RAM, and
                    then you
                    > sometimes have to reboot the hardware to recover.
                    >
                    > Using a lower recycle count should keep your app servers from
                    growing
                    > (operative word is should), although putting too low of a value will
                    cause
                    > the overhead in a different way.
                    >
                    > peace,
                    > clark
                    >
                    > PSA: Salary <> Slavery. If you earn a salary, your employer is
                    renting your
                    > services for 40 hours a week, not purchasing your soul. Your time is
                    the
                    > only real finite asset that you have, and once used it can never be
                    > recovered, so don't waste it by giving it away.
                    >
                    > I work to live; I don't live to work.
                    >
                    > "Time is the coin of your life. It is the only coin you have, and
                    only you
                    > can determine how it will be spent. Be careful lest you let other
                    people
                    > spend it for you."
                    >
                    > Carl Sandburg
                    > (1878 - 1967)
                    >
                    > ----Original Message Follows----
                    >
                    > Hi,
                    >
                    > Is it the same IE version for this user ?
                    > What is your "Allowed Consec Service Failures" in your psapp cfg ?
                    >
                    > Try one thing : Recycle Count=0

                    > On the road to retirement? Check out MSN Life Events for advice on
                    how to

                  • Robert Ellis
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 2, 2005

                      There’s no reason why you shoudn’t use a recycle count of 0 if you know the load and have sized accordingly – just bounce your app servers every night to prevent memory leaks although you’ll find they usually max out at around 130Mb.

                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 2, 2005
                        But if you recycle the domain every day then you are saying that you can't leave PSAPPSRV processes running indefinitely.
                        Although perhaps you could afford to increase the recycle count to something approaching the number of services per day.