Re: PeopleSoft DBA Forum Re: Histogram collection methods

  • R P
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 30, 2005
      I tried using the "auto" method of collecting histograms, and it took an additional 9 hours to compute stats with all the other parameters  to dbms_stats remaining constant. Has anyone experimented with "skew only" ?  I beginning to think that it may be better to just create histograms on specific tables that actually need it as opposed to using the auto or skew only methods since there is additonal overhead for creating histograms and maintaining them. I would like to hear some thoughts regarding this. I'm also wondering how useful histograms will be where bind variables are used since the optimizer does not know the value of the bind vairable,  although I think they have tried to fix that with the bind variable peeking in 9i but I'm not sure how well that works yet?
      Thanks
      Richard

      David Kurtz <info2@...> wrote:
      But all columns have a histogram with one bucket by default anyway.  That is
      the same information as the minimum and maximum column values.

      Next Go-Faster Seminar: PeopleSoft for the DBA, London UK, October

      http://www.psftdba.com.
      The PeopleSoft DBA Forum is managed by http://www.go-faster.co.uk.

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      Yahoo! for Good

    • Fazale M. Haq
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 3, 2005

        Hello,

        Does anyone has a good documentation on how peoplesoft two-tier and three tier connections work? From technical perspective.

        My understanding is:

        Three tier = Using app designer to login through application server. Requires a PeopleSoft login.

        Two tier = Using app desginer to login into the database directly. Requires a DB username and password.

        Thank you

        Yahoo! for Good
      • James Blanding
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 3, 2005
          That's about right I think. Incidentally, when connecting to the DB
          directly, the user still enters a normal Peoplesoft login. They just
          need to have the "Connect ID" and "Connect Password" fields defined
          properly in PSCFG.

          --James

          --- In psftdba@yahoogroups.com, "Fazale M. Haq"