Re: PeopleSoft DBA Forum REN servers

    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 13 1:44 PM
      Natraj,

      It depends on the organization, the size of the staff and the amount of work
      to be done. Where I worked before as a PSA, I was also a DBA for two
      systems as well as being an admin for Maximo. But the company was small and
      the IT staff was also. Where I am not, I am a PSA, and we have three Oracle
      DBAS, but this is a much larger company. So the bottom line is it all
      depends.

      services for 40 hours a week, not purchasing your soul. Your time is the
      only real finite asset that you have, and once used it can never be

      "Time is the coin of your life. It is the only coin you have, and only you
      can determine how it will be spent. Be careful lest you let other people
      spend it for you."

      Carl Sandburg
      (1878 - 1967)

      ----Original Message Follows----

      Hi Robert,
      Yes, i have bought that book. It is a good book. but are all the things
      mentioned in the book done by peoplesoft admin? because what i told you was
      a real life experience which i saw. do you mean to say, the peoplesoft admin
      does Oracle DBA work too? in that case maybe you are right. but in our bank
      our peoplesoft dba did just peoplesoft work. we were managing our oracle
      databases(i was a oracle dba)

      Robert Ellis <robert.ellis@...> wrote:
      natraj rama,

      If you want to know what a real PS DBA has to deal with then get Dave
      Kurtz's book

      PeopleSoft for the Oracle DBA is published by Apress - see
      http://www.psftdba.com

      This will give you a good idea of what skills a typical PS DBA would add on
      to his/her database DBA skills.

      Personally, I had 12 years as an Oracle DBA and then 6 years PeopleSoft on
      Oracle and SQL Server. Believe me, the PeopelSoft DBA should be much busier

      From: natraj rama <natrajdba@...>
      Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 19:53:07 -0700 (PDT)

      hello Everybody,
      I am a Newbie to peoplesoft. I am basically a Oracle DBA , now trying to
      learn peoplesoft administration. I would like to share my experiences with
      Peoplesoft environment in a bank, I know you all are experienced , but i
      feel if we can share each others' work experience it will be helpful to know
      what kind of Peoplesft job is done in different fields(like
      banking,pharma).Basically i worked for a bank which had peopelsoft HRMS
      running on Oracle. I was managing the Oracle databases. My peoplesoft
      counterpart did not have much work compared to me.:) well apart from
      managing other databases(mortgage applications, Online banking applications)
      Peoplesoft was one of the very many applications i was managing. Our
      Peoplesoft team always used to have branch conversion and for that we needed
      to make a copy (refresh) of the production HR and Finance databases onto a
      test databases.so that the peoplesoft developers can do their mock branch
      conversion/testing on these test databases.Though i
      felt that the peoplesoft developers were always busy. My Peoplesoft DBA did
      not have much work(I don't mean to insinuate anyone ) once i refresh the
      test database from the production dataase. I email my peoplesoft dba and he
      does an application refresh which takes him 45 minutes/ Apart from that he
      does not have much work. and he does this once a day.(maimum)Yes sometimes
      if the unix files systems gets full and when we get paged through OEM. we
      see if there are any files that can be removed, or if we can delete unwanted
      export files etc.. if not we mail the peopelsoft DBA., and he zips a
      directory having resumes. i think this resume is something related with HR
      module. and then he says he hasdone his part. so these are the only 2 jobs
      that he does. sometimes he starts and stops the application server(when we
      start/shutdown the database which is very rare)
      I would like to know is this the only job for peopelsoft DBA, also nowadays
      in US market all OracleDBA jobs want peoplesoft experience also. i have
      finished my project and am on bench, i lost 4 projects because i did not
      know BEA Tuxedo, SQR,etc
      Please share your thoughts on this with me and help me understand peopelsoft
      and get a better job.
      Thanks to one and all
      natraj

      Great minds discuss ideas.Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss
      people!

      Natraj Ramlingam

      ---------------------------------

      The PeopleSoft DBA Forum is managed by http://www.go-faster.co.uk

      ---------------------------------

    • shirley.mcgregor@aon.com.au
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 13 2:50 PM
        Natraj

        We have 1.5 DBA's and three unix/enterprise application people. How much
        of our time is taken up by Peoplesoft? Averaged out over the entire year,
        maybe 20-25% (depending on current projects etc.) The Peoplesoft
        Administration is divided up between everyone (CRMS, Fins and soon HR).
        David is right - the line is quite fuzzy. You say that you want to learn
        more? In my opinion the only way to do that is to get a copy of the
        current Peopletools and application CD's, find yourself a couple of
        machines to work on, and follow the install process from A-Z (the
        installation guide for your DB platform should be available from the
        Peoplesoft website).

        Good luck.

        Regards
        Shirley

        -------

        | | natraj rama |
        | | <natrajdba@yahoo.|
        | | com> |
        | | Sent by: |
        | | psftdba@yahoogrou|
        | | ps.com |
        | | |
        | | |
        | | 13/07/2005 06:11 |
        | | PM |
        | | Please respond to|
        | | psftdba |
        | | |
        | |
        | To: psftdba@yahoogroups.com |
        | cc: robert.ellis@... |
        | bcc: |
        | Subject: Re: PeopleSoft DBA Forum REN servers |

        From: natraj rama <natrajdba@...>
        Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 19:53:07 -0700 (PDT)

        <?---- LSpots keywords ?><?---- HM ADS ?>

        Great minds discuss ideas.Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss
        people!

        Natraj Ramlingam

        PeopleSoft for the Oracle DBA is published by Apress - see
        http://www.psftdba.com
        The PeopleSoft DBA Forum is managed by http://www.go-faster.co.uk

        <?---- LSpots keywords ?> <?---- HM ADS ?>
        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        Visit your group "psftdba" on the web.

        "The information contained in this email and any attached files ("Email") is strictly private and confidential. This Email should be read by the intended recipient only. If you are not the intended recipient of this Email or if you believe this is an unsolicited email, please immediately notify the sender by replying to this email or contact a representative from the Aon Group of Companies ("Aon") on +61 2 9253 7000 and promptly destroy this Email and any copies of this Email.

        Only the intended recipient of this Email may use, reproduce, disclose or distribute the information contained in this Email with Aon's permission. If you are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from using, reproducing, disclosing or distributing the information contained in this Email.

        Aon does not represent, warrant or guarantee that the integrity of this Email has been maintained or that the communication is free of errors, virus or interference. Aon advises that this Email should be scanned to detect viruses. Aon accepts no liability for loss or damage (whether caused by negligence or not) resulting from the use of this Email.

        Unless the sender is expressly providing you with personal advice, any advice contained in this Email has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. Before acting on any advice in this Email, you should consider whether that advice is appropriate for your personal circumstances. If this Email contains reference to any specific financial product(s), Aon recommends you consider the relevant product disclosure statement or other disclosure document(s) before making any decision regarding that product."