RE: Free PS Admin Utility

  • Duncan Davies
    Message 1 of 24 , Jun 29, 2005
      We've posted an update to this utility which should iron out a few of the issues that have been encountered.

      If you've tried this utility before and hit some issues, by all means give it another go now. If you have an issue we haven't fixed, then let us know.

      Download from here
      http://www.allinity.com/Pages/Products/PS_Admin_GUI/PS_Admin_GUI.html

      kind regards

      Duncan

      Message 2 of 24 , Jul 6, 2005
        Nifty little tool. A couple of obervations that may help you develope
        further.
        1) It would be nice if this would start/stop AppServ/PRCS that are set
        up as Windows Services.
        2) Reboot did not seem to work for us. Looks as though it was trying
        to boot before the previous processes have reached a full stop. Same
        for reboot + clear cache.

        --- In psftdba@yahoogroups.com, "Duncan Davies" <duncan.davies@v...>
        wrote:
        > We've posted an update to this utility which should iron out a few
        of the
        > issues that have been encountered.
        >
        > If you've tried this utility before and hit some issues, by all
        means give
        > it another go now. If you have an issue we haven't fixed, then let
        us know.

        > Download from here
        > <http://www.allinity.com/Pages/Products/PS_Admin_GUI/PS_Admin_GUI.html>
        > http://www.allinity.com/Pages/Products/PS_Admin_GUI/PS_Admin_GUI.html
        >
        > kind regards
        >
        > Duncan
        >
        > _____

      • mahesh s
        Message 3 of 24 , Jul 7, 2005
          Hi all

          1) what is diff b/w PeopleTools 8.44 to 8.45/6
          2) In which side Tuxedo will installed in application
          server or webserver...?

          Please send me mail asap...

          Reg
          Mahesh

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • James Blanding
          Message 4 of 24 , Jul 7, 2005
            You can get an idea of what has changed between Tools releases by
            downloading the Release Notes from Customer Connection.

            Tuxedo needs to be installed on any machine that will run an App
            Server or a Process Scheduler. I believe a machine with only a
            webserver does not require Tuxedo on that machine.

            --James

            Message 5 of 24 , Jul 8, 2005
              > Tuxedo needs to be installed on any machine that will run an App
              > Server or a Process Scheduler. I believe a machine with only a
              > webserver does not require Tuxedo on that machine.

              correct - BEA's weblogic webserver is a completely separate product.

              Next Go-Faster Seminar: PeopleSoft for the DBA, Manchester UK, 26-28 July

              http://www.psftdba.com
              The PeopleSoft DBA Forum is managed by http://www.go-faster.co.uk

              Message 6 of 24 , Jul 8, 2005
                Hello All

                The UK Oracle User Group Conference in Birmingham UK (30th October - 2nd
                November) will include PeopleSoft and JDEdwards content. We are still
                looking for material. See http://conference.ukoug.org

                In order to present at this conference you do not have to be a member of
                UKOUG, nor do you have to be located in the UK. Presentations from third
                parties will also be considered.

                "Call for PeopleSoft and JD Edwards papers: The UKOUG has pleasure in
                inviting all PeopleSoft and JD Edwards users, as well as partners and
                suppliers of related products, to submit a paper for presentation at UKOUG
                2005. To submit an abstract click here - http://www.oug.org/call"

                If you have any questions please feel free to ask me.

                Next Go-Faster Seminar: PeopleSoft for the DBA, Manchester UK, 26-28 July

                  Message 8 of 24 , Jul 12, 2005
                    Hello all,

                    I am hoping someone on this group has a little knowledge in the REN server
                    arena, since PSGSC has been able to assist with squat.

                    We have various applications and modules of peoplesoft. I'll concentrate on
                    two environments in Financials. We have a Dev environment that only has an
                    internal URL, so it is only available on the intranet. We have a Test
                    environment that has an externally published URL, and is only available on
                    the internet, and passes through a reverse proxy server with SSL. On the
                    Dev environment, setting up REN was a slam dunk... Assign it a port in the
                    configuration and turn it on in the Application Server. Everything worked
                    fine. Of course, because the computer gods are angry with me, that's not
                    working the same way in the Test environment. I have configured it in the
                    app server config file, as well as inside peoplesoft in the REN cluster so
                    it wouldn't get confused. As I have a copy of VP1 for my permissions, and I
                    have checked the Real Time Notification in PeopleTools for PTPT1000,
                    everything should be fine. However, when I try to do a Ping, I get a 403
                    FORBIDDEN error. If I just try to use it, it looks like it's going to work,
                    and then times out. The logs are useless, even when I tried to trap
                    anything.

                    What really sucks about this is that we have countries that are working fine
                    without it, but one country has a consultant who has sold them on this issue
                    as being a show stopper for the implimentation, and management is buying
                    into that nonsense.

                    Any help you can toss my way would be appreciated.

                    services for 40 hours a week, not purchasing your soul. Your time is the
                    only real finite asset that you have, and once used it can never be

                    "Time is the coin of your life. It is the only coin you have, and only you
                    can determine how it will be spent. Be careful lest you let other people
                    spend it for you."

                    Carl Sandburg
                    (1878 - 1967)
                  • Robert Ellis
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jul 12, 2005

                      Is the 403 coming from the web server or the rps?  I think you need to set up your REN server on your rps.  Another possibility may be the location of your app server – is it inside the DMZ with the web server or over in the intranet ?

                      Bob Ellis

                      PSE Data Security GmbH

                      http://www.psedatasecurity.com

                      Message 10 of 24 , Jul 13, 2005
                        Everything except the RPS is in the DMZ, I believe. I'll need to check with
                        the network guys.

                        peace,
                        clark

                        ----Original Message Follows----

                        <http://www.psedatasecurity.com/> http://www.psedatasecurity.com

                        ____

                        Message 11 of 24 , Aug 3 7:34 AM
                          Hi guys and gals and anyone who doesn't fit those two categories.....

                          I'm dealing with idiot users, but I'm being redundant. In any case, there
                          seems to be a higher percentage of these idiot users in the UK and Europe in
                          general (Germany is next on the list), and they want to make a change in the
                          display/iput length of the vendor ID in the vendor page from 10 (PS
                          delivered) to 5 characters. I've spoken with PS GSC and they say don't do
                          it, but I have a know-it-all consultant from Anderson (I think) who is
                          stating this won't affect anything negatively. I have prepared a list of
                          about a dozen reason why this should be squashed to present to the VP in
                          charge of the implementation, and I thought I would ask the PSA community if
                          anyone has attempted to do this and how much work was involved and what
                          happened after you tried it. Also, if you guys can think of reasons we
                          shouldn't do this, if you have ideas I haven't already covered, I'll use
                          them.

                          Thanks in advance.

                          Peace,

                        • tpleighton@yahoo.com
                          Message 12 of 24 , Aug 3 8:20 AM
                            The dragon just how many records will be effected?
                            Also, did PS GSC mention anything about support? What
                            about things like upgrades, delivered software, and
                            such mundane things like that. Note that you should
                            invite that consultant out to a pub with the intention
                            of pushing him/her in front of a bus.

                            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                          • Goulet, Dick
                            Message 13 of 24 , Aug 3 8:40 AM
                              Changing the display length would not change the input length unless the database is modified it'll just slide right & left I would go along with the display length change on the panel, but balk at changing the actual field length. Changing the actual field length could cascade into a lot of other panels and tables which is somewhere you don't want to go.

                              Message 14 of 24 , Aug 3 8:43 AM
                                I would love to see the other 11 reasons for doing this!

                                The only reason I can think of why somebody would make this claim is if all
                                your vendor IDs are currenly 5 characters. Then when you search for the
                                vendor in a Record Locator Dialogue you would generate

                                WHERE VENDOR_ID = 'ABCDE'

                                instead of

                                WHERE VENDOR_ID LIKE 'ABCDE%'

                                This might improve performance, but not much, and not elsewhere in the app.

                                I really can't think of any good reason to do this, but several reasons not
                                to - including but not limited to:
                                1. This column is used on many tables in the Financials application. The
                                number 1 reason not to do this is that it would leave large amounts of the
                                application unsupported by GSC. You are responsible for your own
                                customisations.
                                2. You would have to regression test most of the application.
                                3. You would have to rebuild all the tables where this column appears.
                                4. There might be peoplecode changes required to cope with the increased
                                field length. More customisations to support. More oppotunities for GSC to
                                tell you that you are on your own.
                                5. I wouldn't expect any observable performance improvement. There would be
                                only a minimal space saving. You could calculate the amount of space this
                                would save, I would guess the answer will be much less that 1% of the total
                                database. I/O is going to be saved?

                                Has anyone produced a reproducable test to demonstrate why this would be
                                such a good idea?

                                Next Go-Faster Seminar: PeopleSoft for the DBA, London UK, October

                                Yahoo! Groups Links
                              • Phillip Eaton
                                Message 15 of 24 , Aug 3 9:16 AM
                                  As some sort of bizarre last resort compromise, might you suggest that you
                                  modify just the page where you enter the new vendor ID to check that it's
                                  only 5 characters?

                                  I would guess that there's a bigger reason somewhere that would preclude
                                  this, which you will hopefully furnish us with.

                                  > If you earn a salary, your employer is
                                  > renting your services for 40 hours a week.

                                  That may be true in law, but I'd love to see you argue the toss where I
                                  work. Or more to the point, I'd love to see your merit-based annual bonus
                                  :-)

                                  Cheers,
                                  Phillip Eaton
                                  Business Applications Administration Group
                                  Gulf International Bank (UK) Ltd.,
                                  One Knightsbridge, London SW1X 7XS, U.K.
                                  +44 (0) 20 7259 3402
                                  phillip.eaton@...

                                  "Gulf International Bank (UK) Limited ("GIBUK") is regulated in the UK by
                                  the Financial Services Authority and have their office at One Knightsbridge,
                                  London, SW1X 7XS. Tel 0207 2593456.This e-mail message and any file
                                  transmitted with it is confidential to the intended recipient and may
                                  contain confidential and or legally privileged information. If you are not
                                  the intended recipient, you may not copy, distribute or disclose the
                                  contents to anyone, nor take any action in reliance on its contents. Should
                                  you receive this message in error, please delete it immediately and all
                                  copies of it from your system, destroying any hard copies and notifying the
                                  sender.Please note that any email sent to, or from GIBUK may be monitored
                                  for content. GIBUK does not accept any legal responsibility for the content
                                  of this message or any attachments. Virus checking is the responsibility of
                                  the recipient."
                                • Ben
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Aug 3 10:21 AM
                                    (Sorry for top-posting)

                                    There are two main reasons to NOT reduce the field length from 10 to
                                    5:

                                    1) Unless there is an overwhelming and compelling business reason for
                                    doing so, why do it at all? You know, if it isn't broken, don't fix
                                    it. It sounds like the users have more of a business PROCESS issue
                                    rather than a data issue. The fact that this will make support from
                                    PeopleOracle even spottier and less useful should be a MAJOR factor.

                                    2) It will make upgrades & patch implementation much tougher because
                                    now you'll have to worry about COBOLS that may be coded to the
                                    delivered 10-character length, and you'll get really gross errors and
                                    blow-ups. In addition, your compare process during the upgrade would
                                    be stretched out even more, coupled with guaranteed errors during
                                    user testing, which equate to more time and money spent correcting
                                    these issues that would normally not have appeared if the users
                                    weren't apparently wedded to their process.

                                    My two cents. Good luck.

                                    Ben Guerard

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Aug 3 10:26 AM
                                      No actual records/tables will be changed, just the processing on the page to
                                      only use/limit 5 characters.

                                      The reason this is even an issue is the legacy system they are interfacing
                                      with uses a 5 character identifyer and they don't want to change the
                                      interfaces.

                                      I would never let them physically alter the tables.

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Aug 3 10:29 AM
                                        David,

                                        Sorry, I must have mis-communicated. I don't have any good reasons for
                                        doing this, I have a dozen reasons not to do it.

                                        Also, the reason this is being requested is so they don't have to change
                                        their interfaces with a legacy system.

                                      • tpleighton@yahoo.com
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Aug 3 10:33 AM
                                          It is still a bad idea. You still have to worry about
                                          it in an upgrade, patch, etc. Besides what happens in
                                          the future if the client decides to increase the
                                          vendor id even by one character?

                                          http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                                        • Goulet, Dick
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Aug 3 10:38 AM
                                            Given the further information provided, so what? The field in PeopleSoft can handle up to 10 characters. If the legacy system can only handle 5 characters then so what? It only becomes a problem is your loading data from PeopleSoft to the legacy system at which point if can take a substr of the first 5 characters or else refuse to process any records with more than 5 characters in the field. Someone can the have the fun of beating the offending user up over the extra characters.

                                            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Aug 4 5:12 AM
                                              I wouldn't be happy with a difference between the database and the
                                              application.
                                              What happens if a batch process put 10 characters in the database when
                                              PeopleSoft was only expecting 5.