4285RE: PeopleSoft DBA Forum enabledbmonitoring question

    Aug 16, 2010
      I believe that SET CONTEXT INFO is the equivalent of the call to
      DBMS_APPLICATION_INFO that PeopleSoft does on Oracle. This happens at the
      top of each service call, and allows you to see which PeopleSoft Operator is
      executing some code.

      I do not know of any way to inject the additional call.

      If I understand you correctly, you are trying to manage the amount of
      resource that a query can consume. On Oracle you can only do this for an
      specific user. By default, All PeopleSoft processes connect as the same
      Oracle user. You need to find a way to make the PSQRYSRV processes connect
      to a different user.

      This is not easy on PeopleSoft on Oracle either. You have to create an
      additional access profiles so that when the QRYSRV connects as a different
      user it uses the alternative access profile, and lots of grants and synonyms
      to the new database user account. The connect information is held in
      psappsrv.cfg, and you need to provide an alternative config file for the
      psqrysrv processes. That requires some editing of the Tuxedo config
      template file psappsrv.ubx. I have tried this on PT8.48, and I didn't get a
      satisfactory solution. The query servers still used the original config
      file. Even if you can get it working, you end up with something that is
      dificult to maintain.

      You can set query timeouts so that the query terminates after a while, but
      (on Oracle) this doesn't work well with queries that have larges sorts or
      hash operations (caused by use of DISTINCT, UNION or ORDER BY) where the
      database takes a long time to fetch the first row in the result set.

      Best you can do is discourage users from running long running queries
      on-line, restrict maximum number of PSQRYSRV process, and encourage users to
      schedule queries on the process scheduler.

      DBA Blogs: PeopleSoft: http://blog.psftdba.com, Oracle:
      http://blog.go-faster.co.uk