New member

  • Matt
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 21, 2003
      Hello all,

      I'm a new member and I'm researching the Reschke, Retz, Klingbeil,
      and Birgy families. Does anybody have any connections or information?

      Thanks,
      Matt
    • lm_hudak
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 14 3:36 PM
        I was born and raised in South Bend IN 1949-1987) and moved to South
        Carolina in 1987. I started the family tree in 1995 when I sent
        everybody that I could think of a letter asking for information.
        Everybody sent me back info. I gave up on it for some years and now I
        am back into it.

        Surnames from Germany/Poland are:

        Papczynski, Taberski or Taberska, Grochowalski, Starkweather, Paidle

        I can go back to my Paternal great-grandfather Francis Papczynski
        (but am unable to get DOD. His DOB 1869. He married Anna Taberski.

        I can also go back to my 5th direct ancestor Michael Taberski but
        don't know DOB or DOD he was marred to Catherine Varos.

        On my mom's side I just stop at my great-grandmother (my mom's
        grandmother) Jan Printz who moved to Chicago and died in Chicago) he
        was married to Maryanne Lentych who died in Chicago ILL but no one
        has any record of that.

        My mom's great-grandfather was Martin Brajcki who married Agnieszak
        Krusik no DOB or DOD for them. But stories goes that they died in
        Wisconsin.

        I am on Family Search and Ancestory.com (but only for the free
        version) I don't know if paying for them is worth it or not, so I
        hope someone can answer that question for me. Is it worth paying to
        find relatives?

        Hope someone can help or direct me to the place for help.

        Thanks
        Lynn Hudak
      • mary herzog
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 14 5:56 PM
          Hello, Lynn,
          Can't help much right now, but might be able to direct you to some helpful sites.
          For Chicago/Illinois try IRAD, it is the Illinois Archives.
          Also, they JUST opened a new site, CookCountyGenealogy.org.  You can search for birth, death, and marriage and if you find what you want you can order and download a copy of the certificate.  Each one costs $15, which is a drawback.  But if you find them in the marriages, you can use the record number to see who they married.  That is free.
          Another site for Chicago Poles, plus a few other places is PGSA.org.  They list an index of deaths and marriages.  You can order obits, for a charge.  i usually spend an afternoon there when I visit Chicago once a year.
          I broke down and have a subscription to ancestry.  I will say that it has helped me a lot.  I just re signed up, and took the full package.  It was only $40 more ayear.  Not sure it will be haelpful, but I'll try it for a year anyway.
          One other site for Poles, if they happen to be from the Posen/Poznan area is The Poznan Project.easiest way to find it is just search for it.  It has a wierd address.  It is free.  it has helped me immensely.
          Gotta run.  Hope some of this helps.

          Mary Diebel (1949 in Chicago), living in Nevada since 1987.  Similar to you.

[...]

        • Suzanne Richardson
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 14 7:20 PM
            Hi Lynn,
            My name is Suzanne Richardson and I wanted to let you know that if you have a library card, you might want to check with your library and see if they have access to Ancestry.com.  My library does I just found out and am going to start using their database search computers.  Also they told me that I can access Heritage Quest on my on computer at home with my library card.  They have census data from 1790-1930 and also have articles from magazines, papers and books that might help.  I was amazed what I could find at Heritage Quest.  You might try checking out those two options.  I have several Prussian ancestors that I have not had time to research all the way back.  Seems like so many names and so little time.  Good luck and will be glad to help if I can.
            Suzanne