Rhinoprussia

  • lapflash
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 21, 2002
      Hello, I am trying to trace my great grandfather, a Doctor Jacob
      Doetsch. I know that he was born about 1839 and was a young officer
      in the Prussian Army(I have a photo)He migrated to the US sometime
      in the 1860's and was married in Pennsylvania in 1870. Census forms
      show he was from "Rhinoprussia" but, nothing further. I find him in
      the Directory of Deceased American Physicians but no amplifying
      information. He died sometime between 1880-1890 when his widow
      remarried.I also have a picture of Doctor Doetsch's father, complete
      with longcoat and medals but again, no name. I thought that I might
      research Prussian Universities since he was a doctor but, according
      to what I can find out, there were 21 Prussian Universities with
      medical programs in the mid 1850's. Does anyone know where
      Rhinoprussia is and how I might break the code on tracing Dr
      Doetsch's roots ? Thanks, Gordon Fath
    • meggi260354
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 23, 2002
        Hello Gordon,
        I am from germany and live in "Rhineprussia". I am searching for the
        decendents of my ggrand-uncle Peter Kiebel. He emigrated to US in 1857
        and was born 1838. He came from Rhineprussia. Rhineprussia was a part
        of the Kingdom of Prussia. Today Rhineprussia is called
        Rheinland-Pfalz county (Rhine = Rhine river). If you go to:
        http://www-lib.iupui.edu/kade/nameword/map4.html
        you see an old map, 1850, of germany.
        The main city of Rheinland-Pflaz is Mainz with a main univerity.
        I try to find out more about "Doetsch" name.

        Many regards from the sunny Mainz,

        Mechthild Becker

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 14, 2002
          Hello Meggie, I found the below information on Peter Kiebel. I will
          post an image of the Ohio census.

          Gordon

          1- The following information was found on Family Tree Maker , CD#354:

          Place: New York
          Year: 1857
          Age: 19

          Primary Immigrant: Kiebel, Peter

          Source Code: 1133.38

          Source Publication:
          CASSADY, MICHAEL. "Ship Passenger Lists." In Illinois State
          Genealogical Society Quarterly, vol. 15:1 (Spring 1983), pp. 2-8.

          Source Page Number: 3

          Permanent Entry Number: 1346995
          Accession Number: 8773510

          2- The following information was found on Family Tree Maker, CD#355:

          Passenger's Name: Peter Kiebel
          Age: 19
          Gender: Male
          Occupation: Coach Maker
          Last Residence: Prussia
          Date of Arrival: Jun 20, 1857
          Final Destination: Chicago
          Purpose for Travel: Staying in the USA
          Ship's Name: Belgique
          Captain's Name: M. J. Frantzen
          Manifest ID Number: 00008957
          Port of Embarkation: Marseilles
          Mode of Travel: Steerage

          3- The attachment is part of the U.S. 1870 census ledger, page 388,
          State of Ohio, Henry County, Plesant Township. These records are not
          indexed and so, one must review hundreds of individual pages while
          searching. The record shows:

          a - line 25, Peter Kiebel, age 32, with occupation; Ret DG Merchant
          (I suspect that means Retail Dry Goods Merchant)
          b- line 26, Barbara, age 26
          c- line 27, Mary, age 2
          d- line 28, John, age 33(living with), with occupation; Clerks in
          Store

          I am not sure what exact information you need but, if you tell me, I
          will try to help you. The town of New Bavaria, Ohio is about 600
          kilometers from my home in Pennsylvania. Thank you again, for your
          response. Gordon