Using Mendeley &tc. for Genealogy Research

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 2, 2012
      As I mentioned in an earlier post (http://www.many-roads.com/2012/01/29/data-gathering-tools-new-to-me/), recently I came across a VERY promising research tool to assist in gathering, sorting, and sharing research source materials. That tool is called Mendeley- http://www.mendeley.com/features/. It enhances, compliments, and can even replace tools like Zotero. It, also, links interactively with desktop word processing tools like LibreOffice/OpenOffice and perhaps even M$Office (although I don't own a copy of that to test). Mendeley, also, allows me to share its content across multiple platforms including my Linux Laptops, my iPad and, according to the provider, Mac and Windows. Finally, the tool itself tracks, inventories and gathers information from within Firefox and similar web browsers or directly from my Desktop, if I happen to have my information there.

      Oh, and before I forget... did I mention the tool allows for socializing selected information and publications (individually or through Groups of Common Interest). Oh yes, and basic Mendeley usage is Free.

      Two quick additional items:

      1. If you are performing genealogy research and want to join in sharing resources and source materials with me, please join Mendeley and my Genealogy Researchers Group (Note: this group requires a Mendeley Account to View: http://www.mendeley.com/groups/1807351/genealogy-researchers/papers/).
      2. If you are interested in following some of my exploits in using the Mendeley Toolsuite you can my publicly available 'research' (meaning you don't need to use Mendeley to see these here: http://www.many-roads.com/2012/02/01/prussian-mennonite-research-materials/

      I will share more details as I learn more. Please feel free to pass this message to others you feel might benefit.

      atb
      ...mark
    • kklopping@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 2, 2012
        Mark, what is the difference between Mendeley and Ever-Note?

        Kim

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 2, 2012
          Hi Kim

          Mendeley has 2 major differences... it is for conducting academic
          research (it automatically builds bibliographies and allows communities
          to merge and share source materials) plus it runs on all major platforms
          (Evernote is primarily a windows thing with nods to other environments).

          I tried and did not like Evernote... for whatever that's worth. But
          then it takes a lot of hacking to make it work on my platforms.

          ManyRoads Family Genealogist (Rabideau-Henss Family); *Professional
          Genealogist *
          *Visit us at: http://many-roads.com <http://many-roads.com/> *
          *Snail mail at: *711 Nob Hill Trail - Franktown,CO USA - 80116-8717
          *phone:*+1.303.660.9400 *fax:*+1.303.660.9217
          *member:*Association of Professional Genealogists & National
          Genealogical Society
          *"It's always useful to know where a friend-and-relation is, whether you
          want him or whether you don't."*

          Rabbit, Pooh's Little Instruction Book (Winnie the Pooh)

          On 02/02/2012 08:50 AM, kklopping@... wrote:

          > Mark, what is the difference between Mendeley and Ever-Note?
          >
          > Kim

        • Mark F Rabideau
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 2, 2012
            Hi Kim

            I have added the following comparison to the post, relating to your query.

            "Here is a comparison of Mendeley to other data gathering tools:
            http://library.law.yale.edu/research/research-management-and-citation "