Re: [Prussian Genealogy] how to find a birth certificate

  • Mark Rabideau
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 11, 2010
      Hi Karen

      My guess:
      http://www.maplandia.com/germany/niedersachsen/hannover/holzminden/muhlenberg/

      If you like the guess go to familysearch.org and order the LDS texts for
      the church of your choice.

      Visit us at: http://many-roads.com
      Snail mail at: 711 Nob Hill Trail - Franktown,CO USA - 80116-8717
      phone:+1.303.660.9400 fax:+1.303.660.9217
      member: Association of Professional Genealogists & National Genealogical
      Society
      “The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of
      knowledge."
      Steven Hawking

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 11, 2010
        Looks like Mecklenburg to me.
        Vicki

        > I've just started to really work on my German ancestry, and I wonder if
        > anyone can give me a clue about how to locate a birth certificate for my
        > grandfather's brother, John Kilguss.
        >
        > Here is a link to his passport (only the right side page is his). Would
        > you guess the town he was born in? We have puzzled over the handwriting
        > and come up with several candidates.
        >
        > I know he was born in March 26, 1872, but think he may have been adopted
        > by my great grandparents, so I am not sure what parents' names would show
        > on his birth certificate.
        >
        > Once I know the town name, is there some place a list of addresses for
        > towns to write to for birth records?
        >
        > Thanks a lot.

      • Vicki
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 11, 2010
          This census says Muhlenburg. He is living with and aunt & uncle.

          1900 United States Federal Census
          about John Kilguss
          Name: John Kilguss
          [Kilguss Kilguss]
          [John Hilguss]
          Home in 1900: Providence Ward 1, Providence, Rhode Island
          Age: 28
          Birth Date: Mar 1872
          [26 Mar 1872]
          Birthplace: Germany