how to find a birth certificate

  • karenakolling
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 11, 2010
      Hi,

      I've just started to really work on my German ancestry, and I wonder if anyone can give me a clue about how to locate a birth certificate for my grandfather's brother, John Kilguss.

      Here is a link to his passport (only the right side page is his). Would you guess the town he was born in? We have puzzled over the handwriting and come up with several candidates.

      I know he was born in March 26, 1872, but think he may have been adopted by my great grandparents, so I am not sure what parents' names would show on his birth certificate.

      Once I know the town name, is there some place a list of addresses for towns to write to for birth records?

      Thanks a lot.
    • karenakolling
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 11, 2010
      • Mark Rabideau
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 11, 2010
          Hi Karen

          My guess:
          http://www.maplandia.com/germany/niedersachsen/hannover/holzminden/muhlenberg/

          If you like the guess go to familysearch.org and order the LDS texts for
          the church of your choice.

          Visit us at: http://many-roads.com
          Snail mail at: 711 Nob Hill Trail - Franktown,CO USA - 80116-8717
          phone:+1.303.660.9400 fax:+1.303.660.9217
          member: Association of Professional Genealogists & National Genealogical
          Society
          “The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of
          knowledge."
          Steven Hawking

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 11, 2010
            Looks like Mecklenburg to me.
            Vicki

            > I've just started to really work on my German ancestry, and I wonder if
            > anyone can give me a clue about how to locate a birth certificate for my
            > grandfather's brother, John Kilguss.
            >
            > Here is a link to his passport (only the right side page is his). Would
            > you guess the town he was born in? We have puzzled over the handwriting
            > and come up with several candidates.
            >
            > I know he was born in March 26, 1872, but think he may have been adopted
            > by my great grandparents, so I am not sure what parents' names would show
            > on his birth certificate.
            >
            > Once I know the town name, is there some place a list of addresses for
            > towns to write to for birth records?
            >
            > Thanks a lot.

          • Vicki
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 11, 2010
              This census says Muhlenburg. He is living with and aunt & uncle.

              1900 United States Federal Census
              about John Kilguss
              Name: John Kilguss
              [Kilguss Kilguss]
              [John Hilguss]
              Home in 1900: Providence Ward 1, Providence, Rhode Island
              Age: 28
              Birth Date: Mar 1872
              [26 Mar 1872]
              Birthplace: Germany