Schneider

  • flea4u2
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 2, 2010
      I have a town in Prussia that my grandparents may have been from it's Loetzen. His name was Rhudolph/Rudolf/Rudolph Schneider his wife's name Amelia/Emelia Richart?. Them came to the US in 1883 via Hamburg.
      Any ideas/information would be greatly welcomed.

      Avis
    • Mark Rabideau
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 2, 2010
        Hi Avis

        Loetzen seems to have been a town near the former Allenstein in East
        Prussia (Allenstein, Ostpreussen)-- now in Poland. see:
        http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landkreis_Allenstein

        Of the names you have Rudolf is the correct traditional German
        spelling... Amelia/Emelia is not a very common German female name-
        perhaps she Americanized it? I'd use LDS Church records to see if you
        can find the Loetzen Church (probably Catholic is the best place to
        start).

        Good luck!

        Visit us at: http://many-roads.com
        Snail mail at: 711 Nob Hill Trail - Franktown,CO USA - 80116-8717
        “May you have the hindsight to know where you've been; the foresight to
        know where you are going; and the insight to know when you have gone too
        far.”
        -Irish Blessing

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 2, 2010
          Thank you for your reply.
          It has taken me at least 10 years to get this far. With little to no information.
          I was pretty sure Rudolf was the correct spelling, but have seen it spelt 3 different ways now.
          Amelia I have spelt at least 2 ways. Have them entering the US in 1883 and then again in 1900 PA.
          I'm still grasping at straws as to where they came from and what family was left in Prussia.

          Have a safe 4th.

          http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landkreis_Allenstein<http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landkreis_Allenstein>

          Visit us at: http://many-roads.com<http://many-roads.com/>

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 2, 2010
            Hi Avis

            I can almost certainly assure you that none of your family or any other
            Germans for that matter are left in the Allenstein area. After WW2 the
            allies ethnically cleansed the East of Germans -expelling some 14
            million and killing approximately 3 million in the expulsion process.

            You can read about it here:
            http://many-roads.com/key-topics/vertriebenen/
            A photo gallery is here: http://many-roads.com/photo-galleries/flucht/

            My mother's family 'expulsion' story along with the stories of numerous
            others are on my website (http://many-roads.com). The German post-WW2
            Expulsion is a part of history that we only very rarely teach or
            discuss.

            As for source historical and genealogical materials, you might find
            these useful:

            http://many-roads.com/libraries/prussia-histories/

            Have a wonderful holiday.

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 3, 2010
              Hello Avis

              You may be related to this Senger Tree:

              http://rumpel.familytreeguide.com/search.php?mylastname=SENGER&lnqualify=equals&mybool=AND&tree=&PHPSESSID=4052a8b88feb6eeb3aa8846482845c93

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 3, 2010
                Awesome, thank you so much for doing some digging for me.
                I greatly appreciate any and all help.

                Have a safe weekend.

                I can almost certainly assure you that none of your family or any other
                Germans for that matter are left in the Allenstein area. After WW2 the
                allies ethnically cleansed the East of Germans -expelling some 14
                million and killing approximately 3 million in the expulsion process.

                You can read about it here:
                http://many-roads.com/key-topics/vertriebenen/<http://many-roads.com/key-topics/vertriebenen/>
                A photo gallery is here: http://many-roads.com/photo-galleries/flucht/<http://many-roads.com/photo-galleries/flucht/>

                My mother's family 'expulsion' story along with the stories of numerous
                others are on my website (http://many-roads.com<http://many-roads.com/>). The German post-WW2
                Expulsion is a part of history that we only very rarely teach or
                discuss.

                As for source historical and genealogical materials, you might find
                these useful:

                http://many-roads.com/libraries/prussia-histories/<http://many-roads.com/libraries/prussia-histories/>

                Have a wonderful holiday.

                http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landkreis_Allenstein<http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landkreis_Allenstein><http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landkreis_Allenstein<http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landkreis_Allenstein>>

                Visit us at: http://many-roads.com<http://many-roads.com/><http://many-roads.com/<http://many-roads.com/>>