New Member - Looking for Nikish family

  • Debbie
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 20, 2008
      I'm both new to this group and the geneology adventure. I'm
      researching my dad's side of the family tree. My dad was always told
      that the Nikish's came from Poland. From different censuses I've
      found, the country of origin is listed as either Prussia or Germany,
      and German being their "mother-tongue".

      Vincent Nikish was born around 1846 and came to the U.S.A from
      Prussia in 1862. He married Mary (Nikish) in 1876 and they lived in
      Minnesota. It's stated on the 1900 US Federal Census that he became
      naturalized in 1890. He came to Saskatchewan, Canada in 1910 and
      died there in 1932.

      Nikish has also been spelled as Nickish.

      I've tried searching Immigration lists and Naturalization records but
      have come up empty. I don't know if the name Nikish was changed when
      he landed in the states. He came when he was in his teens. I don't
      know if he had siblings with him or parents.

      I just don't know how to make the jump from the states to Prussia.
      Please, help! :)

      Debbie
    • richardsonsuzanne
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 20, 2008
        --- In prussiangenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Debbie" <mom.2kids@...> wrote:

        > I'm both new to this group and the geneology adventure. I'm
        > researching my dad's side of the family tree. My dad was always told
        > that the Nikish's came from Poland. From different censuses I've
        > found, the country of origin is listed as either Prussia or Germany,
        > and German being their "mother-tongue".
        >
        > Vincent Nikish was born around 1846 and came to the U.S.A from
        > Prussia in 1862. He married Mary (Nikish) in 1876 and they lived in
        > Minnesota. It's stated on the 1900 US Federal Census that he became
        > naturalized in 1890. He came to Saskatchewan, Canada in 1910 and
        > died there in 1932.
        >
        > Nikish has also been spelled as Nickish.
        >
        > I've tried searching Immigration lists and Naturalization records but
        > have come up empty. I don't know if the name Nikish was changed when
        > he landed in the states. He came when he was in his teens. I don't
        > know if he had siblings with him or parents.
        >
        > I just don't know how to make the jump from the states to Prussia.
        > Please, help! :)
        >
        > Debbie

        Debbie, here are a couple of sites that you might try. I have had a
        hard time finding my Zeug/Zeng/Zieg/Zeig and other Prussia ancestors.
        I will try to find some other sites for you. Try these and see if
        you find anything: http://www.deutsche-auswanderer-datenbank.de/ or
        there are some helpful one's on emslanders.com. You can write me at
        my e-mail if you wish.

        Suzanne
      • tom stehli
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 21, 2008
          Hi Debbie,

          I have run into somewhat of the same problem with a grandfather who came from Prussia.
          Prussia is really Germany, and a part of Germany today. Obviously there is a lot of history that will explain it, but we do not have the space here.

             What I have learned is you will need to know not only the name and dates for the person, but the exact town they came from or were born. Historical events ( a lot of wars for example) have created a situation where files and information has been lost or destroyed. The towns and their churchs often kept records which still exist from that period.

             Try http://www.progenealogists.com/genealogysleuthi.htm%c2%a0for sources, also http://www.lib.byu.edu/fhc/, also http://www.lib.byu.edu/fhc/, also http://my.geneanet.org/connexion.php?nologin=1. There are other sources, and there are sources that require a payment. You have to be careful for those that require payment. More often then not they 'talk a good line', but have no real information that is useful especially for Prussia.

          Regards,
          Tom