Hello

  • flea4u2
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 12, 2008
      Hi one and all. I'm looking for any information on how to look
      up Prussian officers. My ggrandfather Rudolph Schneider came to the
      US in 1883 from Prussia. Can't make out the town he came from it's
      something like Luetzerdorf? Prussia. It could be spelt way different
      from that. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

      Avis
    • richardsonsuzanne
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 13, 2008
        --- In prussiangenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "flea4u2" <flea_4u@...> wrote:

        > Hi one and all. I'm looking for any information on how to look
        > up Prussian officers. My ggrandfather Rudolph Schneider came to the
        > US in 1883 from Prussia. Can't make out the town he came from it's
        > something like Luetzerdorf? Prussia. It could be spelt way different
        > from that. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
        >
        > Avis

        Hello Avis, I have had quite a time researching my Prussian ancestors
        also as I have read some sites that tell you they will only research
        if you live in that area but I still keep trying. If you know any
        other info on you ggrandfather like who he was married to it might
        help. I did find this on rootsweb about a Rudolph Schneider, don't
        know if it will help but will send it to you. Look below my name

        Suzanne

        SEARCHES FAMILY TREES MAILING LISTS MESSAGE BOARDS
        Rudolf Alexander SCHNEIDER / Augusta RAFINSKI
        Husband: Rudolf Alexander SCHNEIDER
        Born: 24 Dec 1863 at: Prussia, GERMANY
        Married: 2 Jan 1890[2156] at: Detroit, Michigan
        Died: 14 Feb 1936 at: Michigan
        Father: Friederich Edward SCHNEIDER
        Mother: Henrietta DREWS
        Spouses: Augusta RAFINSKI
        Notes: [95]
        Wife: Augusta RAFINSKI
        Born: 28 Aug 1866 at: GERMANY
        Died: 2 Feb 1949 at: Michigan
        Father: Adam RAFINSKI
        Mother: Caroline SCHMILEFSKI
        Spouses: Rudolf Alexander SCHNEIDER
        Notes: [104]
        CHILDREN
        Name: Carl SCHNEIDER
        Born: at:
        Died: at:
        Spouses:
        Name: William Frederich SCHNEIDER [109]
        Born: 26 Nov 1890 at:
        Married: [2162] at:
        Died: 16 Aug 1964[107] at:
        Spouses: Louise WISHBOLDT
        Name: Rudolf Alexander SCHNEIDER Jr.
        Born: 26 Nov 1891 at:
        Married: ABT 1911 at:
        Died: 16 May 1942 at:
        Spouses: Jennie SCHNEIDER
        Name: Otto Walter SCHNEIDER
        Born: 7 Mar 1894 at:
        Married: at:
        Died: 13 Oct 1961 at:
        Spouses: Lydia F. HERNE
        Name: Frida Wilhelmina SCHNEIDER
        Born: 18 Oct 1896 at:
        Married: 1917 at:
        Died: 5 Jun 1981 at: Michigan
        Spouses: Martin Terrence BERTRAM
        Name: Arthur Adam SCHNEIDER
        Born: 21 Oct 1898 at:
        Married: at:
        Died: 21 Dec 1966 at:
        Spouses: Marie SCHNELL
        Name: Edmund George SCHNEIDER
        Born: 4 Feb 1901 at: Detroit, MI
        Died: 19 Jun 1905 at:
        Spouses:
        Name: Alma Louise SCHNEIDER
        Born: 14 May 1904 at:
        Married: at:
        Died: 1 Apr 1929 at:
        Spouses: Karl WITT
        Name: Henry John SCHNEIDER
        Born: 12 Jun 1907 at:
        Married: at:
        Died: at:
        Spouses: Betty TEEDMAN
        Name: Herbert Adolf SCHNEIDER
        Born: 4 Apr 1910 at:
        Married: at:
        Died: 9 Feb 1979 at: Michigan
        Spouses: Aline TAYLOR

        [95] Rudolph Schneider was born in Dec 1863 in Prussia, Germany. He
        emigrated to the United States prior to 1886 . He was naturalized as
        an American citizen May 12, 1888 in Wayne County, Detroit, Michigan.
        Two years late, on Jan 2, 1890 he married Augusta Rafinski in Detroit,
        Michigan and proceeded to build a family. By the 1900 census, the
        couple have 5 children, Rudolph is listed as a harness maker, and they
        reside at 434 Lansing Ave, Detroit, Mi. By the 1910 census, Rudolph is
        working as a laborer for the Standard Oil Company, and the count of
        children is at 8. The 1920 census lists Rudolph Schneider as an auto
        factory worker and apparently renting out an upstairs apartment to his
        daughter Freida and her husband Martin Terrence Bertram and Martin's
        mother, Catherine Laura Barbour.

        [97] Schneider, Rudolph A, 46, 20 years married,Germany,
        Germany,Germany, Imm 1883,Nat,Laborer, Standard Oil Co.
        Augusta, 43 20 years married, 10 children, 8 living, Germany,Germany,
        Germany , Imm 1885,
        Rudolph A. Jr, 18 , son, Michigan, Germany, Germany, bookbinder,
        bookbinding
        Otto W., 16,son, Michigan carpet maker, carpet factory
        Frida W. , daughter, 13, daughter, Michigan, no occupation
        Arthur A. , son, 11, Michigan
        Alma L., daughter, 5,Michigan
        Frederick F., son, 2, Michigan
        Herbert A. , son, 1/12 , Michigan

        [98] According to declaration of Intent, filed 12 May 1888, Rudolph
        arrived in the US in 1879, from Bremen .

        [99] Schneider, Rudolph A., head,Dec, 1863, 36, m,10 years married,
        Germany, Imm 1886, harnessmaker, 14 years in country
        Augusta , wife, Aug, 1866,33, 10 years married, 5 children, 5 living,
        Germany, Imm 1887, 12 years in country
        William, son, Oct, 1890,9, Michigan, at school
        Rudolph, son, Nov , 1891, 8, Michigan, at school
        Otto, son, Mar, 1894, 6,Michigan
        Frida, daughter, Oct, 1896, 3, Michigan
        Arthur, son, Oct 1898, 1, Michigan

        [100] SCHNEIDER -- Feb. 14, at residence, 1250 Lansing, Rudolph A.,
        beloved husband of Augusta, dear father of William
        of Cissnapark (?), Ill., Rudolph JR., Otto, Arthur, Henry, Herbert,
        Mrs Martin Bertram; dear brother of August
        Schneider, of Port Huron, Mich.; grandfather of 15 (?) grandchildren;
        member of L. B. M.. Funeral from above residence
        Monday, 2 p. m., Bethlehem Lutheran Church, 2:30 p. m., interment at
        Woodmere.

        [104]Augusta Rafinski, daughter of Adam ( Micheal ? ) Rafinski, came
        to the United States in 1887 aboard the ship "California" ,
        accompanied by her sister Carolina Januschewski and neice Bertha
        Januschewski. She landed in New York at age 25, by the ship's log. The
        following year she was naturalized as a US citizen in Wayne County,
        Michigan. On Jan 2, 1890, she married Rudolph A. Schneider, another
        recent immigrant and began to raise a fine family. She worked as a
        domestic during this time. Her sons and daughters were a closely knit
        group throughout their lives. That stability added much to the lives
        of their children as well. Augusta Rafinski Schneider passed away Dec
        2, 1949 in Detroit, Mi.

        [101] Arrived aboard ship "California" , with sister Caroline
        Januschewski,

        [105] Some after thoughts:
        1. The story from Eleanor is that Augusta Rafinski had an older brother
        (avoiding the army) who she accompanied (unwillingly) to the USA. She
        was supposed to have been about 15 years old (that doesn't jibe with
        your record of age 25 per ship's log). That maybe they stopped in
        Pennsylvania (or close by) because they had sponsors there before moving
        on to Detroit (by next year per your citizenship data. Got no name for
        the brother. But well known Augusta had a sister Caroline Janusehewsfki
        who was mentioned in August's obituary and was known to Eleanor and
        Aline. Caroline lived in the neighborhood (528 Morrell St, Det). I
        didn't find anyone with that surname in the current Switchboard.com for
        Detroit or Port Huron.

        2.Regarding Ruloph's family there are stories of a "uncle" who had a farm
        on Grosse Isle and went broke (Art). And of relatives in Port Huron
        involving an old man "uncle" and his daughter (Herb/Aline visited in
        ~1938), and maybe other "cousins" who like to fish a lot (Art). A "bunch"
        of them showed up a funeral one day. Eleanor lists as Port Huron
        relatives:
        Mr and Mrs Linwood Schneider, Herman Schneider at 614 Division St., and
        Lora Schneider. (Hey, are names mentioned in Rudolphs obit??). No
        Schneiders by those names are currently in Switchboard.com, but they may
        all be dead by now.

        Art says that Rudolph built his own house at 1250 Lansing St. and wonders
        where he got the money. Also says that Rudolph's brother was in on the
        deal and had a butcher shop on the next lot to the North. That shop
        became a candy store owned by someone else. Perhaps that could be traced
        thru property records. Your census data indicates the 1900 residence at
        434 Lansing. I'll have to ask the older cousins if the knew of another
        homestead in the area.

        3. You may not be aware that Rudolph and Augusta had years of disability
        before their deaths. Rudolph was crippled with arthritis (and ?) and
        Augusta has suffered a stroke or dementia. I remember she was "out of
        it" and immobile for years before her death. Herbert (later with Aline)
        bore the burden of caring for them for many years. Lastly, care fell to
        the William Schneider's, the last family living in the house with
        Augusta.

        [106]SCHNEIDER-- Augusta wife of the late Rudolph Sr mother of William
        Otto Mrs Frida Bertram, Arthur, Henry, Herbert and the late Rudolph Jr
        and Mrs Alma Witt sister of Mrs Caroline Janusehewsfki also survived
        by 17 grandchildrenand 9 great grandchildren At residence 1250 Lansing
        until 10 a m Saturday In state Bethlehem Lutheran Church (McKinstry
        near Porter) from 12 noon until time of service at 1 p m Saturday.

        [109] Just had independent confirmation that we had the right August
        Schneider
        all along. Cousin Arthur Schneider in Lincoln Park found a guest book
        for his father William's funeral from ~18 Aug 1964. Signing in for the
        Port Huron attendees were "Mr and Mrs Linwood Schneider, Herman Schneider
        (614 Division St), and Lora Schneider." Various Detroit cousins have
        already affirmed from memory the names of Port Huron relatives included
        Uncle August, Herman, Fred, Bertha, and Hattie.
        This affirms the families:
        August H. Schneider (1861-1941) X Edith Thrun (1866-1934),
        with children William, Bertha, Herman, Lena, Albert (Fred?)
        and children of Herman (1892-1974) X Hattie (1894-1957)
        Laura, Norbert and Linwood.

        Still a mystery is why the father of this August was listed in his death
        record as Herman instead of Edward.; and what happened to William and
        Fred?

        [110]William Frederick Edward Schneider (October 16, 1890 - August 16,
        1964) was the first of ten children born to Rudolph Schneider and
        Augusta (Rafinski) Schneider. Like all of their children, he was
        baptized at Bethlehem Lutheran Church, Detroit, as an infant.

        William became a Lutheran parochial school teacher, instructing in
        both German and English at schools in mid Michigan, Illinois, and
        Detroit. He received college training from Addison Normal School, in
        Addison Illinois. He married Louise Minna Alvina Wickboldt (January
        22, 1892 - June 20, 1958) on July 15, 1914 in Chicago.

        The young couple accepted a call to Trinity Lutheran Church and School
        in Bay County, Michigan and started a family. Their first child, a boy
        they named Walter Otto, born April 2, 1916, died at the age of 6 weeks
        during circumcision. Their first girl, Eleanor Martha Minnie Augusta
        (June 16, 1917), was born there also.

        Their next call was to St. Matthew Lutheran Church, back in Chicago.
        Born there were Loretta Helen Alma (June 9, 1919) and Ruth Anna
        (February 24, 1921 - September 26, 1922). While in Illinois, William
        was on the Chicago Debating Team and was a part-time violinist with
        the Chicago Symphony Orchestra.

        Due to poor health, the Lutheran Church, Missouri Synod sent William
        to Saint John Lutheran School in the German farm community of Ash
        Grove, about 100 miles south of Chicago. William was suffering from
        pneumonia, arthritis, and a malaria-like problem that began while he
        was student teacher in Missouri. (Eleanor developed pneumonia also but
        the young girl quickly recovered). Sons Ralph William (June 7, 1926)
        and Arthur Louis (March 11, 1928) were born in Ash Grove.

        Eleanor recalls that they lived right in the country, surrounded by
        corn fields. There was a teacherage, school, pastor's home, church,
        cemetery, and sheds for the horses used by some of the children and
        congregation members. There were lots of trees, bushes, flowers, and
        lawn. One day, sister Ruth Anna developed a high fever with
        convulsions and dad got on the telephone and cranked it like mad. It
        was a party line, and that meant listen in for trouble. He said he
        needed a doctor and a man said "I'll call Doctor Roberts for you."
        First to arrive was a buggy with Mrs. Ekhoff-a church member and
        widow. She left her children, hitched up the horse, lit lanterns, and
        came across dark roads to be with mother. She was loved by all of us
        and a bright spot in our life in Ash Grove. Shortly after, Doc.
        Roberts arrived in his buggy. We girls were sent to bed. Next morning
        ma and pa woke us to say Ruth had died.

        The family moved to Detroit in the 1940s. Residences there included
        the Rudolph family homestead on Lansing Street in SW Detroit (where he
        help care for his mother) and, lastly, in Allen Park, Michigan. Louise
        died in 1958 of natural causes. William died in a 1964 car accident
        that also claimed the life of his grandson, Paul Rossow. William and
        Louise are interred at Glen Eden Memorial Park.

        Written August 21, 2005

        [2156] [S213] Marriage Record

        * PAGE: Wayne County Marriage record, quarter ending Mar 31 1890

        [96] [S220] Naturalization Record

        * PAGE: Certificate of Citizenship issued to Rudolph Schneider by
        Circuit Court

        [102] [S218] Ships List

        * PAGE: Germans to America Vol 55 Page 264, Auguse Rafinski, Age
        25, Ship: Califo

        [103] [S219] Census Record

        * PAGE: Naturalized in 1888 according to 1920 census

        [108] [S263] 1930 Census

        [107] [S216] Family Letter

        [111] [S275] Research of Jim Schneider

        HTML created by GED2HTML v3.5e-WIN95 (Sep 26 1998) on 04/03/2006
        06:49:38 .

        Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities |
        Immigration Records | Military Records
        Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers &
        Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids