Herzog family name

  • genherzog
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 8, 2008
      Hi,
      I'm new to this group. I am trying to find my ancestors in Prussia.
      I'll tell you what I know so far.
      Friederich Johan Herzog born c. 1862, came to US c 1881. His parents
      Friederich Herzog born C. 1833 d 1910 in Chicago and Wilhelmina c.
      1837 d 1900 in Chicago.
      Fred J. married Susanna Weiss from Grethen,Bavaria. (I've traced her
      family back a couple of generations.)
      Fred and Susanna's 1st 3 children beginning in 1883 were born in TX,
      the others, beginning in 1888 were born in Cook Co, IL.
      I have a letter, translated by my grandfather from his mother which
      says they were from "Twin hills", but a great aunt said it
      is "Twincities". There is also a description of a coat of arms given
      to an ancestor during the 30 years war of a group of women being
      protected by a soldier/knight/duke.
      One of the birth certificates of my great uncle, with info given by
      his elder sibling in 1942, lists a place of birth for my great
      grandfather as Matschulen or something like that. i haven't found a
      city like that either.
      I have some death certificates but none give me any info beyond pob
      Germany. I have not been able to locate naturalization info or
      immigration info.
      This is long but I thought the more info I gave, the more possibility
      someone could help me get beyond this brick wall. I've been stuck
      here for about 5 years.
      Thanks
      Mary Herzog Diebel
    • tom stehli
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 8, 2008
        Hello,

        What contacts have you been using to locate Prussian information - genealogy. I have not had much luck. I am looking for 'Plotzkeu' family information. Good luck

        Regards,
        Tom

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 10, 2008
          Hello, Tom,
          I mainly have used familysearch.org and familysearchlabs.org.  I found one couple who could be my gg-grandparents, but I can't find them with my g-grandfather, so I'm not willing to accept it.  I've use Shtetl Seekers to look for the city name, but that didn't help much either.
          I thought maybe someone in this group would be able to direct me to some place else.

          Do you know of other sites or groups?

          Where is your family from? In Germany?  In USA?

          If I find anything worthwhile I'll let you know.

          Mary Diebel

          What contacts have you been using to locate Prussian information - genealogy. I have not had much luck. I am looking for 'Plotzkeu' family information. Good luck
          &nbsp;
          Regards,
          Tom

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 11, 2008
            Hello,

            I am Swiss/German and my wife is Polish/German. The Polish/German (Prussian) in my wife's family is her grandfather who left no information on his parents or his family in Prussia. I have been searching for a while, but no luck.

            my.geneanet.org is a foreign genealogy website I used to locate my Swiss/German family, but I have found nothing else to help with the Prussian.

            I mainly have used familysearch. org and familysearchlabs. org.&nbsp; I found one couple who could be my gg-grandparents, but I can't find them with my g-grandfather, so I'm not willing to accept it.&nbsp; I've use Shtetl Seekers to look for the city name, but that didn't help much either.
            I thought maybe someone in this group would be able to direct me to some place else.
            &nbsp;
            Do you know of other sites or groups?
            &nbsp;
            Where is your family from? In Germany?&nbsp; In USA?
            &nbsp;
            If I find anything worthwhile I'll let you know.
            &nbsp;
            Mary Diebel

            What contacts have you been using to locate Prussian information - genealogy. I have not had much luck. I am looking for 'Plotzkeu' family information. Good luck
            &amp;nbsp;
            Regards,
            Tom