Lost Platzke family in Prussia prior to 1900

  • tom stehli
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 7, 2008
      Hello everyone, I am new to the group so any directions or help would be greatly appreciated. I am located near Washington, D.C.

      The reason I have joined is the fact we have no record of our Platzke family. A grand father,
      Hermann Platzke, Born 14 Aug 1880, Danzig, Prussia has no record of parents or any family in the area that we can locate. There is a story that he was given as a baby to an aunt by the name of Platzke to save his life. It is believed his parents were jewish, and possibly had the name of Von Hohenfels.

      Any suggestions on where to start?

      Regards,

      Tom

    • desertlily90
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 9, 2008
        Did the Platzkes or Von Hohenfels come to the US? If they did census
        records would be great. Go to a local Family History Center (altho
        connected to the Mormon Church they are helpful to everyone) they
        have records from all over the world.

        What about religious records? If they were Jewish there is a great
        Jewish website. I will have to look it up and get back to you.

        My own g-grandparents were Theodore and Anna (Briese) Scholz from
        Breslau, Silesia, Prussia now Wroclaw, Poland and I have lots of
        questions too.

        --- In prussiangenealogy@yahoogroups.com, tom stehli <stehli04@...>
        wrote:

        > Hello everyone, I am new to the group so any directions or help
        would be greatly appreciated. I am located near Washington, D.C.

        > The reason I have joined is the fact we have no record of our
        Platzke family. A grand father,
        > Hermann Platzke, Born 14 Aug 1880, Danzig, Prussia has no record
        of parents or any family in the area that we can locate. There is a
        story that he was given as a baby to an aunt by the name of Platzke
        to save his life. It is believed his parents were jewish, and
        possibly had the name of Von Hohenfels.

        > Any suggestions on where to start?
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Tom

      • tom stehli
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 9, 2008
          Thank you for your response,

          Only the one Hermann Platzke came to the US. We have as much as we can locate on his arrival in the State of Georgia about 1902 as well as here in Maryland. Prior to that no information. The word of mouth story is he left the Platzkes in Poland and went to sea, jumped ship in Florida and made his way to Darien, Georgia, where he obtained citizenship and then married our grandmother.

          We have checked the family history center, and found no useful information yet. I would greatly appreciate the Jewish information website.

          Like you, we have lots of questions, especially when word of mouth stories paint an interesting history.

          Regards,

          Tom

          wrote:

          > Hello everyone, I am new to the group so any directions or help
          would be greatly appreciated. I am located near Washington, D.C.

          > The reason I have joined is the fact we have no record of our
          Platzke family. A grand father,
          > Hermann Platzke, Born 14 Aug 1880, Danzig, Prussia has no record
          of parents or any family in the area that we can locate. There is a
          story that he was given as a baby to an aunt by the name of Platzke
          to save his life. It is believed his parents were jewish, and
          possibly had the name of Von Hohenfels.

          > Any suggestions on where to start?
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > Tom

        • desertlily90
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 17, 2008
            wrote:

            > Thank you for your response,

            Tom, hadn't checked yahoo for a while and saw your answer.
            I found a site http://www.progenealogists.com/genealogysleuthb.htm that
            has a lot of sites and in the middle of the lower page there are two or
            three jewish sites. Lots of other sites, but not much for Maryland.

            Sounds like you have already touched a lot of bases. Hope you can find
            something. Do you speak German? I would imagine that would help a lot
            researching overseas.
          • stehli04
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 18, 2008
              --- In prussiangenealogy@yahoogroups.com, desertlily90 <no_reply@...>
              wrote:

              > --- In prussiangenealogy@yahoogroups.com, tom stehli <stehli04@>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Thank you for your response,
              > >

              > Tom, hadn't checked yahoo for a while and saw your answer.
              > I found a site http://www.progenealogists.com/genealogysleuthb.htm
              that
              > has a lot of sites and in the middle of the lower page there are
              two or
              > three jewish sites. Lots of other sites, but not much for Maryland.
              >
              > Sounds like you have already touched a lot of bases. Hope you can
              find
              > something. Do you speak German? I would imagine that would help a
              lot
              > researching overseas.

              I will check the website. I use Google tranlator to read the foreign
              websites. It works very good.

              Thank you,
              Tom