Re: Wihelm Buchholz Bucholz Buchholtz Buckholz Jan 19, 1826 Prussia Prueben Germany

  • gondor1963
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 7, 2006
      I don't know how much luck you will have. Do you have a subscription to
      ancestry.com? They have a new "German Section" were you may look. If
      you do not, let me know and I will look while I still have mine (I may
      cancel it next month just because I seem to have gotten all I'm going
      to get from it).
      From what I understand, a lot of records that we would just love to get
      hold of went poof in WWII. Don't people realize we are going to need
      those things?! For example, my sis-in-law is a wills and trust lawyer
      and had to go to Germany over a contested will. She went to a lot of
      government and various other resources but could find no information on
      that part of the family because all had been destroyed. I know that I
      am getting pretty frustrated at times. I know that is not much use but
      there you have it. Maybe doing a google search for something
      like "German genealogical resources".
      I know that PA is known for its large German influx, but I know from
      looking for my own family records that the midwest really had its
      share. My maternal grandfather was Raymond (W?) Landgraf (lived in
      Chicago) and his parents were from Prussia. I have had no luck getting
      beyond finding my grandfather's parents on the census. It's the same
      deal with my paternal grandmother (also lived in Chicago) who was first
      generation American with Prussian parents. She was Bertha Johanna Hoch.
      Then my mother's aunt married Herman Ludwig, also first generation in
      Chicago. I know much more about that family's death (husband, wife, two
      daughters) because they all perished in the Iroquois Theatre Fire of
      December 1903 in Chicago.
      BTW, I had family in Outagamie County, WI also (not German). They lived
      in Appleton. I wonder if they ever met...

      Pamela
    • Douglas L Buchholz
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 16, 2006
        Danke. I do have ancestry.com subscription but it is somewhat
        limited. I did find William Buccholz on it marrying to Augustine
        Koehler in supposedly August 25, 1845 in Dodge County, Wisconsin.
        This is very likely a transcription error as she, her father, and
        sisters did not arrive in Amerika unti 1846 from Zehden,
        Prussen/Germany. But I did find that her father Ferdinand Koehler was
        a Shoemaker, and that he did have land in Dodge County, Wisconsin
        very likely right next to Wilhelm Buchholz. Subsequently, he met
        Augustine and married her in August 1848 (this date according to his
        own handwriting in a German English writing per his Civil War pension
        Record materials).

        I honestly don't know when he came across from
        Prussia/Prussen/Germany but according to the 1900 Census he was
        living with his daughter Henrietta who married to Carl Kressler up in
        Lolo, Shoshone Co, Idaho....on this census page it indicates that he
        immigrated in 1844. I tend to wonder about this year of immigration.
        He supposedly was born 19 Januar 1826. But I have no idea if this is
        correct or not. He said it in his Pension Papers. (If only my Great
        Grandma Buchholz would have passed down to me the genealogy and
        photographs that she had...her sister threw it all in the garbage!)
        BUT thankfully I have managed to obtain duplicates of her husband
        Lloyd Buchholz father William F. Buchholz, son of Wilhelm Buchholz
        and Augustine Koehler).

        I am wondering if these other Buchholz folks that immigrated to
        Wisconsin may be related but the descendants just don't know it.
        There are so many questions and not enough answers about this
        Buchholz family. I am thankful for what I do have though very much
        so. I would like to find other descendants of the siblings of William
        Frederich Buchholz, such as Henriette, Sophie, etc etc. Surely they
        must exist.

        Danke.

        Douglas Lloyd Buchholz

        --- In prussiangenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "gondor1963"