Wihelm Buchholz Bucholz Buchholtz Buckholz Jan 19, 1826 Prussia Prueben Germany

  • Douglas L Buchholz
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 6, 2006
      Does anyone know how I may research for this man's ancestry.....?

      I am the descendant of this man who supposedly came over from Prussia
      in ca. 1844. He married to Augustine Koehler on August 25, 1848 in
      Dodge County, WI by Squire Botter. According to the Pension Record
      for William Buckholz he married in Austesfort (sp?) there in
      Wisconsin. Then by 1850 he was in Greenville, Outagamie or Brown
      County, WI along with his father-in-law Ferdinand Koehler Keller
      Kailer who came over from Zehden, Koeingsburg, Prussia in 1846 via
      Brandenburg Ship List Records via Ancestry.com.....

      I suspect William Henry (Wilhelm Heinrich) Buchholz may have erred on
      his birthdate and he may have been the son of Johann Heinrich
      Buchholz and Elizabeth Becker of Sophien, Berlin Stadt, Germany who
      was born in the early summer of 1826 per the LDS website
      familysearch.com (org?) but I am not sure.

      I would be delighted to share my genealogical information with
      anyone. I am desperately trying to find my Wilhelm Heinrich
      Buchholz's ancestors in Prussia Pruben Germany but have had
      absolutely no luck at all with this lineage. If someone could please
      help me I would be emmensely appreciative.

      Danke,

      Douglas Lloyd Buchholz
    • gondor1963
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 7, 2006
        I don't know how much luck you will have. Do you have a subscription to
        ancestry.com? They have a new "German Section" were you may look. If
        you do not, let me know and I will look while I still have mine (I may
        cancel it next month just because I seem to have gotten all I'm going
        to get from it).
        From what I understand, a lot of records that we would just love to get
        hold of went poof in WWII. Don't people realize we are going to need
        those things?! For example, my sis-in-law is a wills and trust lawyer
        and had to go to Germany over a contested will. She went to a lot of
        government and various other resources but could find no information on
        that part of the family because all had been destroyed. I know that I
        am getting pretty frustrated at times. I know that is not much use but
        there you have it. Maybe doing a google search for something
        like "German genealogical resources".
        I know that PA is known for its large German influx, but I know from
        looking for my own family records that the midwest really had its
        share. My maternal grandfather was Raymond (W?) Landgraf (lived in
        Chicago) and his parents were from Prussia. I have had no luck getting
        beyond finding my grandfather's parents on the census. It's the same
        deal with my paternal grandmother (also lived in Chicago) who was first
        generation American with Prussian parents. She was Bertha Johanna Hoch.
        Then my mother's aunt married Herman Ludwig, also first generation in
        Chicago. I know much more about that family's death (husband, wife, two
        daughters) because they all perished in the Iroquois Theatre Fire of
        December 1903 in Chicago.
        BTW, I had family in Outagamie County, WI also (not German). They lived
        in Appleton. I wonder if they ever met...

        Pamela
      • Douglas L Buchholz
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 16, 2006
          Danke. I do have ancestry.com subscription but it is somewhat
          limited. I did find William Buccholz on it marrying to Augustine
          Koehler in supposedly August 25, 1845 in Dodge County, Wisconsin.
          This is very likely a transcription error as she, her father, and
          sisters did not arrive in Amerika unti 1846 from Zehden,
          Prussen/Germany. But I did find that her father Ferdinand Koehler was
          a Shoemaker, and that he did have land in Dodge County, Wisconsin
          very likely right next to Wilhelm Buchholz. Subsequently, he met
          Augustine and married her in August 1848 (this date according to his
          own handwriting in a German English writing per his Civil War pension
          Record materials).

          I honestly don't know when he came across from
          Prussia/Prussen/Germany but according to the 1900 Census he was
          living with his daughter Henrietta who married to Carl Kressler up in
          Lolo, Shoshone Co, Idaho....on this census page it indicates that he
          immigrated in 1844. I tend to wonder about this year of immigration.
          He supposedly was born 19 Januar 1826. But I have no idea if this is
          correct or not. He said it in his Pension Papers. (If only my Great
          Grandma Buchholz would have passed down to me the genealogy and
          photographs that she had...her sister threw it all in the garbage!)
          BUT thankfully I have managed to obtain duplicates of her husband
          Lloyd Buchholz father William F. Buchholz, son of Wilhelm Buchholz
          and Augustine Koehler).

          I am wondering if these other Buchholz folks that immigrated to
          Wisconsin may be related but the descendants just don't know it.
          There are so many questions and not enough answers about this
          Buchholz family. I am thankful for what I do have though very much
          so. I would like to find other descendants of the siblings of William
          Frederich Buchholz, such as Henriette, Sophie, etc etc. Surely they
          must exist.

          Danke.

          Douglas Lloyd Buchholz

          --- In prussiangenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "gondor1963"