Re: newbie question/Nassua/Burg/Prussia

  • scheffkg.rm
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 31, 2006
      --- In prussiangenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Karen Anne Kolling"
      <katkolling@...> wrote:

      > On one side I have a great-uncle with U.S. records listing his
      birth
      > place as "Prussia." He was born in 1899.
      Between 1871 and 1918, Prussia consisted of about two-thirds of
      Germany; a map from c. 1895 shows the extent of the territory at the
      time of your great uncle's birth:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Prussia_%
      28political_map_before_1905%29.jpg

      > I have two records with his mother's birth place listed. One says
      > "Nassau, Germany" and the other says "Burg, Germany." She was
      born in
      > 1870. I looked on the web, and there seem to be 5-6 places that
      could
      > be Nassua, and 5-6 places that could be Burg.

      Nassua probably refers to the Duchy of Nassau which ceased to exist
      in in 1866 after it sided with the Austrians in the Seven Weeks' War
      against Prussia. What was once Nassau is now part of the state of
      Hesse in central Germany. There is a village called Burg in Hesse
      which is found north west of Frankfurt-am-Main. On a reasonably
      detailed map of of that region, find the cities of Siegen and
      Wetzlar; half way between them are two villages called Dillenburg
      and Herborn, and it is about midway between them that the village
      Burg can be found.

      Ken
    • Karen Anne Kolling
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1, 2006
        Thank you, folks.

        Frank, I have not had good luck with the Family Search thing on the
        Danish side of my family, using their International search feature.
        It does not seem to be well indexed. I looked for my great
        grandmother in just Denmark, and found no records; then I found her
        parish from other sources and searched specifically in that parish and
        found zilch. It was only when I searched in her parish for just
        anyone with her last name that there she was, with the exact name I
        had previously searched for. I did search for the German folks in the
        international database but turned up zilch also.

        Although I owe the LDS a debt in that they apparently paid for and
        provided a lot of volunteer labor for getting images of the Danish
        parish registers online at the Danish government site. That site is
        invaluable.

        Karen