Re: [Prussian Genealogy] newbie question/Nassua/Burg/Prussia

  • Frank Scjpe,amm
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 30, 2006
      You could try the "Familysearch" web site of the Mormons FHL. On the "Library" tab find the "Family History Library Catalog" page. You can search by name or place and try to find a match with name and place by using the birth date or other info. This is always difficult as it was not uncommon years ago to freely use your middle name as your first name. If you get some likely crossmatching you might still have to go to a Family History Center and order the microfilm and view same.

      Karen Anne Kolling <katkolling@...> wrote: Hello,

      I'm a newbie. I've been researching my family in the U.S., and just
      started looking at the German roots.

      On one side I have a great-uncle with U.S. records listing his birth
      place as "Prussia." He was born in 1899.

      I have two records with his mother's birth place listed. One says
      "Nassau, Germany" and the other says "Burg, Germany." She was born in
      1870. I looked on the web, and there seem to be 5-6 places that could
      be Nassua, and 5-6 places that could be Burg.

      My brain is already frying from looking at Gothic script on records on
      the Danish side of the family :-)

      Can someone help me out here - does Nassau and Burg point to a
      specific unique place?

      (I have no reason to believe my great uncle as born in the same place
      as his mother.)

      Thanks,

      Karen

      ---------------------------------

    • scheffkg.rm
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 31, 2006
        --- In prussiangenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Karen Anne Kolling"
        <katkolling@...> wrote:

        > On one side I have a great-uncle with U.S. records listing his
        birth
        > place as "Prussia." He was born in 1899.
        Between 1871 and 1918, Prussia consisted of about two-thirds of
        Germany; a map from c. 1895 shows the extent of the territory at the
        time of your great uncle's birth:
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Prussia_%
        28political_map_before_1905%29.jpg

        > I have two records with his mother's birth place listed. One says
        > "Nassau, Germany" and the other says "Burg, Germany." She was
        born in
        > 1870. I looked on the web, and there seem to be 5-6 places that
        could
        > be Nassua, and 5-6 places that could be Burg.

        Nassua probably refers to the Duchy of Nassau which ceased to exist
        in in 1866 after it sided with the Austrians in the Seven Weeks' War
        against Prussia. What was once Nassau is now part of the state of
        Hesse in central Germany. There is a village called Burg in Hesse
        which is found north west of Frankfurt-am-Main. On a reasonably
        detailed map of of that region, find the cities of Siegen and
        Wetzlar; half way between them are two villages called Dillenburg
        and Herborn, and it is about midway between them that the village
        Burg can be found.

        Ken
      • Karen Anne Kolling
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 1 1:11 AM
          Thank you, folks.

          Frank, I have not had good luck with the Family Search thing on the
          Danish side of my family, using their International search feature.
          It does not seem to be well indexed. I looked for my great
          grandmother in just Denmark, and found no records; then I found her
          parish from other sources and searched specifically in that parish and
          found zilch. It was only when I searched in her parish for just
          anyone with her last name that there she was, with the exact name I
          had previously searched for. I did search for the German folks in the
          international database but turned up zilch also.

          Although I owe the LDS a debt in that they apparently paid for and
          provided a lot of volunteer labor for getting images of the Danish
          parish registers online at the Danish government site. That site is
          invaluable.

          Karen