newbie question/Nassua/Burg/Prussia

  • Karen Anne Kolling
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 30, 2006
      Hello,

      I'm a newbie. I've been researching my family in the U.S., and just
      started looking at the German roots.

      On one side I have a great-uncle with U.S. records listing his birth
      place as "Prussia." He was born in 1899.

      I have two records with his mother's birth place listed. One says
      "Nassau, Germany" and the other says "Burg, Germany." She was born in
      1870. I looked on the web, and there seem to be 5-6 places that could
      be Nassua, and 5-6 places that could be Burg.

      My brain is already frying from looking at Gothic script on records on
      the Danish side of the family :-)

      Can someone help me out here - does Nassau and Burg point to a
      specific unique place?

      (I have no reason to believe my great uncle as born in the same place
      as his mother.)

      Thanks,

      Karen
    • Frank Scjpe,amm
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 30, 2006
        You could try the "Familysearch" web site of the Mormons FHL. On the "Library" tab find the "Family History Library Catalog" page. You can search by name or place and try to find a match with name and place by using the birth date or other info. This is always difficult as it was not uncommon years ago to freely use your middle name as your first name. If you get some likely crossmatching you might still have to go to a Family History Center and order the microfilm and view same.

        Karen Anne Kolling <katkolling@...> wrote: Hello,

        I'm a newbie. I've been researching my family in the U.S., and just
        started looking at the German roots.

        On one side I have a great-uncle with U.S. records listing his birth
        place as "Prussia." He was born in 1899.

        I have two records with his mother's birth place listed. One says
        "Nassau, Germany" and the other says "Burg, Germany." She was born in
        1870. I looked on the web, and there seem to be 5-6 places that could
        be Nassua, and 5-6 places that could be Burg.

        My brain is already frying from looking at Gothic script on records on
        the Danish side of the family :-)

        Can someone help me out here - does Nassau and Burg point to a
        specific unique place?

        (I have no reason to believe my great uncle as born in the same place
        as his mother.)

        Thanks,

        Karen

        ---------------------------------

      • scheffkg.rm
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 31, 2006
          --- In prussiangenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Karen Anne Kolling"
          <katkolling@...> wrote:

          > On one side I have a great-uncle with U.S. records listing his
          birth
          > place as "Prussia." He was born in 1899.
          Between 1871 and 1918, Prussia consisted of about two-thirds of
          Germany; a map from c. 1895 shows the extent of the territory at the
          time of your great uncle's birth:
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Prussia_%
          28political_map_before_1905%29.jpg

          > I have two records with his mother's birth place listed. One says
          > "Nassau, Germany" and the other says "Burg, Germany." She was
          born in
          > 1870. I looked on the web, and there seem to be 5-6 places that
          could
          > be Nassua, and 5-6 places that could be Burg.

          Nassua probably refers to the Duchy of Nassau which ceased to exist
          in in 1866 after it sided with the Austrians in the Seven Weeks' War
          against Prussia. What was once Nassau is now part of the state of
          Hesse in central Germany. There is a village called Burg in Hesse
          which is found north west of Frankfurt-am-Main. On a reasonably
          detailed map of of that region, find the cities of Siegen and
          Wetzlar; half way between them are two villages called Dillenburg
          and Herborn, and it is about midway between them that the village
          Burg can be found.

          Ken
        • Karen Anne Kolling
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 1, 2006
            Thank you, folks.

            Frank, I have not had good luck with the Family Search thing on the
            Danish side of my family, using their International search feature.
            It does not seem to be well indexed. I looked for my great
            grandmother in just Denmark, and found no records; then I found her
            parish from other sources and searched specifically in that parish and
            found zilch. It was only when I searched in her parish for just
            anyone with her last name that there she was, with the exact name I
            had previously searched for. I did search for the German folks in the
            international database but turned up zilch also.

            Although I owe the LDS a debt in that they apparently paid for and
            provided a lot of volunteer labor for getting images of the Danish
            parish registers online at the Danish government site. That site is
            invaluable.

            Karen