Re: [Prussian Genealogy] Re: New member searching for BEHREND

  • Frank Scjpe,amm
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 25, 2005
      Dear Mechthild,

      I believe my great grandfather owned the floour mill. If you have a list of ten could you check the owner names? What are the chances of there being more than one Behrend?

      I really don't have any correspondence from Berlin. My great aunt came to the USA in 1924 to bring back my Mother and aunt back to Buffalo, NY as my grandfather had remarried. On the ship manifest, my Tante Liesbeth gave her sister Kate's address in Berlin. Would the parents live close by, who can say? I will try to locate that address.

      Thank you again. We are at about 0 C. here with several snowfalls. Next one is Monday.

      Frank Schoemann

      meggi260354 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Hello Frank,
      I found out a mill archiv in Berlin and got in touch with a J�rgen
      Wolf(email: muehlenwolf@...).
      He found out in the 1920's were been 10 flour mills in Berlin.
      He wants to know if your grandfather was the owner or the renter of
      the mill. Then he can look up in another archiv.
      It is possible that the papers are destroyed in WWII.
      Do you have any address, street or district in Berlin ?
      You mentioned that your mother and sister were living in Berlin after
      the death of your grandmother. Do you have old letters with post
      address ?

      Best regards from the cold germany
      Mechthild

      --- In prussiangenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Scjpe,amm"
      <daaschoe@y...> wrote:
      > Thank you for your reply.
      >
      > My Grandfather's full name on his US Naturalization paper was Karl
      Wilhelm Martin Behrend.

      > My Onkel Fritz was married to an Elvira and never had any
      children. They lived in the USA in NYC for a while and then moved
      back to Germany, Pforzheim, in the late 1960's.

      > In his last letter of 1976, Onkel Fritz mentions that his sister
      Lotte died August 1, 1975 in Berlin at age 86. The two other
      sisters, Liesbeth age 92 and Kate, age 79 were living in a home for
      the aged in Berlin. I don't believe Lotte or Liesbeth ever married.
      I believe Kate's married name was Schmude or Schmuede.

      > After my grandfathers wife died in February of 1922 in Buffalo, NY
      after childbirth, he sent my Mother and her sister to live with his
      sisters in Berlin. These were Liesbeth and Lotte who were both
      nurses. My grandfather's parents were alive then and owned a flour
      mill in Berlin.

      > Is there any way to check obituaries for my Onkel Fritz in
      Pforzheim, post 1976, or my great aunts who must have all died in
      Berlin from August 1, 1975 forward?

      > Are there any Berlin directories of the 1920's that might survive
      in a Library or archives to look up the flour mill business?

      > Thank you again for any help on this. I will send a picture I have
      of my Grandfather's parents when I can locate it. I don't have
      information on them and that is why I am searching.

      > meggi260354 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      >
      > Hello Frank,
      >
      > Liebstadt is a small city in the Free State of Saxony, germany.
      > It has 1,398 inhabitants. The city has eight districts:
      > - Waltersdorf, D�bra, Berthelsdorf, Liebstadt, Herbergen,
      Seitenhain,
      > Gro�r�hrsdorf and Biensdorf.
      > I dont't know a second one in germany. Please tell me the whole
      name
      > of your grandfather, so it is much easier to find out.
      > I looked in the phone book of Pforzheim and found out 7 Behrend.
      > Do you have more info about the brother Fritz ? There is a Leonhard
      > Fritz Behrend in Pforzheim. Maybe son or grandson of your Fritz.
      > If you like I can phone him and ask for a relationship to you.
      >
      > Best regrads from germany
      > Mechthild
      >

      > --- In prussiangenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Schoemann"
      > <daaschoe@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > > My grandfather was born in Liebstadt (I don'tknow which one, as I
      > > understand there are two) November 11, 1883. He did an
      > > apprenticesship as a baker from 1898 to 1901 in Danzig. Then he
      > went
      > > on ships, presumably as a baker, as his workbook showed about 6
      or
      > 7
      > > different ships until he emigrated to US in 1909. I know his
      > parents
      > > lived in Berlin in the early 1920's and owned a flour mill. I am
      > > trying to find any information I can on his parents. My
      > grandfather
      > > had many siblings, but the only ones I know are a brother Fritz,
      > who
      > > died in Pforzheim in the 1970's, and three sisters--Kate, Lotte
      and
      > > Liesbeth whom I believed all died in Berlin in the 1970's.
      > >
      > > Can someone offer suggestions where I may look for Prussian
      and/or
      > > German records of birth, death, etc/.
      > >
      > > Also, can someone suggest a professional genealogist that
      > specializes
      > > in records for this area.
      > >
      > > Thank you.

      Service.