[Prussian Genealogy] Re: KENIGINBERG

  • meggi260354
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 7, 2004
      Hello Eliavah,
      Königsberg was the main city of East Prussia. As a result of WWII it
      belongs to Russia and the name is Kaliningrad. If your gggmother is
      born in East Prussia it could be that her maiden name is Königsberg.
      "Kenigin" is ths East Prussian dialect for "Königin".

      Best regards from the cold germany
      Mechthild

      --- In prussiangenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Teshuvah" <teshuvah@c...>
      wrote:
      > Thank you for the information. It has put me onto a lead. Do you
      think it is possible that the name keniginberg/Koniginberg could have
      previously been spelled
      > Konigsberg or Koenigsberg???
      >
      > I have found that this is an East Prussian name (which is where my
      GGGrandmother was from) and that many with that name emigrated to
      California which is where she emigrated to and produced my
      GGrandmother and Grandmother and Mother.

      > Thank you in advance for helping me :>)
      > Eliavah

      Service.

    • Teshuvah
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 7, 2004
        Mechthild,

        Thank you so much for your help. You have got me over a hurdle and I am back on my way to finding out more!!

        wrote:
        > Thank you for the information. It has put me onto a lead. Do you
        think it is possible that the name keniginberg/Koniginberg could have
        previously been spelled
        > Konigsberg or Koenigsberg???
        >
        > I have found that this is an East Prussian name (which is where my
        GGGrandmother was from) and that many with that name emigrated to
        California which is where she emigrated to and produced my
        GGrandmother and Grandmother and Mother.

        > Thank you in advance for helping me :>)
        > Eliavah

        Service.

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor