      From: Debbie <mom.2kids@...>
      Subject: [Prussian Genealogy] New Member - Looking for Nikish family
      To: prussiangenealogy@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Monday, October 20, 2008, 7:50 PM

      I'm both new to this group and the geneology adventure. I'm
      researching my dad's side of the family tree. My dad was always told
      that the Nikish's came from Poland. From different censuses I've
      found, the country of origin is listed as either Prussia or Germany,
      and German being their "mother-tongue" .

      Vincent Nikish was born around 1846 and came to the U.S.A from
      Prussia in 1862. He married Mary (Nikish) in 1876 and they lived in
      Minnesota. It's stated on the 1900 US Federal Census that he became
      naturalized in 1890. He came to Saskatchewan, Canada in 1910 and
      died there in 1932.

      Nikish has also been spelled as Nickish.

      I've tried searching Immigration lists and Naturalization records but
      have come up empty. I don't know if the name Nikish was changed when
      he landed in the states. He came when he was in his teens. I don't
      know if he had siblings with him or parents.

      I just don't know how to make the jump from the states to Prussia.
      Please, help! :)