289Re: New Member - Looking for Nikish family

  • richardsonsuzanne
    Oct 20 5:37 PM
      --- In prussiangenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Debbie" <mom.2kids@...> wrote:
      > I'm both new to this group and the geneology adventure. I'm
      > researching my dad's side of the family tree. My dad was always told
      > that the Nikish's came from Poland. From different censuses I've
      > found, the country of origin is listed as either Prussia or Germany,
      > and German being their "mother-tongue".
      > Vincent Nikish was born around 1846 and came to the U.S.A from
      > Prussia in 1862. He married Mary (Nikish) in 1876 and they lived in
      > Minnesota. It's stated on the 1900 US Federal Census that he became
      > naturalized in 1890. He came to Saskatchewan, Canada in 1910 and
      > died there in 1932.
      > Nikish has also been spelled as Nickish.
      > I've tried searching Immigration lists and Naturalization records but
      > have come up empty. I don't know if the name Nikish was changed when
      > he landed in the states. He came when he was in his teens. I don't
      > know if he had siblings with him or parents.
      > I just don't know how to make the jump from the states to Prussia.
      > Please, help! :)
      > Debbie
      Debbie, here are a couple of sites that you might try. I have had a
      hard time finding my Zeug/Zeng/Zieg/Zeig and other Prussia ancestors.
      I will try to find some other sites for you. Try these and see if
      you find anything: http://www.deutsche-auswanderer-datenbank.de/ or
      there are some helpful one's on emslanders.com. You can write me at
      my e-mail if you wish.

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic