265Re: [Prussian Genealogy] Re: Lost Platzke family in Prussia prior to 1900

  • tom stehli
    Jan 9, 2008
      Thank you for your response,

      Only the one Hermann Platzke came to the US. We have as much as we can locate on his arrival in the State of Georgia about 1902 as well as here in Maryland. Prior to that no information. The word of mouth story is he left the Platzkes in Poland and went to sea, jumped ship in Florida and made his way to Darien, Georgia, where he obtained citizenship and then married our grandmother.

      We have checked the family history center, and found no useful information yet. I would greatly appreciate the Jewish information website.

      Like you, we have lots of questions, especially when word of mouth stories paint an interesting history.

      Regards,

      Tom

      desertlily90 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      Did the Platzkes or Von Hohenfels come to the US? If they did census
      records would be great. Go to a local Family History Center (altho
      connected to the Mormon Church they are helpful to everyone) they
      have records from all over the world.

      What about religious records? If they were Jewish there is a great
      Jewish website. I will have to look it up and get back to you.

      My own g-grandparents were Theodore and Anna (Briese) Scholz from
      Breslau, Silesia, Prussia now Wroclaw, Poland and I have lots of
      questions too.

      --- In prussiangenealogy@yahoogroups.com, tom stehli <stehli04@...>
      wrote:

      > Hello everyone, I am new to the group so any directions or help
      would be greatly appreciated. I am located near Washington, D.C.

      > The reason I have joined is the fact we have no record of our
      Platzke family. A grand father,
      > Hermann Platzke, Born 14 Aug 1880, Danzig, Prussia has no record
      of parents or any family in the area that we can locate. There is a
      story that he was given as a baby to an aunt by the name of Platzke
      to save his life. It is believed his parents were jewish, and
      possibly had the name of Von Hohenfels.