174Re: [Prussian Genealogy] Re: New member searching for BEHREND

  • Frank Scjpe,amm
    Feb 23, 2005
      Thank you for your reply.

      My Grandfather's full name on his US Naturalization paper was Karl Wilhelm Martin Behrend.

      My Onkel Fritz was married to an Elvira and never had any children. They lived in the USA in NYC for a while and then moved back to Germany, Pforzheim, in the late 1960's.

      In his last letter of 1976, Onkel Fritz mentions that his sister Lotte died August 1, 1975 in Berlin at age 86. The two other sisters, Liesbeth age 92 and Kate, age 79 were living in a home for the aged in Berlin. I don't believe Lotte or Liesbeth ever married. I believe Kate's married name was Schmude or Schmuede.

      After my grandfathers wife died in February of 1922 in Buffalo, NY after childbirth, he sent my Mother and her sister to live with his sisters in Berlin. These were Liesbeth and Lotte who were both nurses. My grandfather's parents were alive then and owned a flour mill in Berlin.

      Is there any way to check obituaries for my Onkel Fritz in Pforzheim, post 1976, or my great aunts who must have all died in Berlin from August 1, 1975 forward?

      Are there any Berlin directories of the 1920's that might survive in a Library or archives to look up the flour mill business?

      Thank you again for any help on this. I will send a picture I have of my Grandfather's parents when I can locate it. I don't have information on them and that is why I am searching.

      meggi260354 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Hello Frank,

      Liebstadt is a small city in the Free State of Saxony, germany.
      It has 1,398 inhabitants. The city has eight districts:
      - Waltersdorf, D�bra, Berthelsdorf, Liebstadt, Herbergen, Seitenhain,
      Gro�r�hrsdorf and Biensdorf.
      I dont't know a second one in germany. Please tell me the whole name
      of your grandfather, so it is much easier to find out.
      I looked in the phone book of Pforzheim and found out 7 Behrend.
      Do you have more info about the brother Fritz ? There is a Leonhard
      Fritz Behrend in Pforzheim. Maybe son or grandson of your Fritz.
      If you like I can phone him and ask for a relationship to you.

      Best regrads from germany
      Mechthild

      --- In prussiangenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Schoemann"