Re: [prpoint] Re: Shoe thrown on Indian Home Minister during Press Conference

  • Mayura Amarkant
    Message 1 of 29 , Apr 7 9:56 AM
      Dear All,

      It sure has been interesting to read the various responses. Here is my take on the issue:
      There are certain norms of public behavior that need to be followed. The behavior of this particular gentleman is unacceptable only because it has gone against norms of public behavior. While I do agree that the pent up anger may have caused this action, I don't agree with the gentleman using his organization to gain entry in a forum where hon. minister was present.
      In times of recession, the last thing an organization needs is bad PR and this irresponsible action has caused just that. If he wanted to hit out at a politician or to the community of politicians then using his organization as a ladder is incorrect.

      He can go ahead and lash out anger at all the persons he wants but not as part of an organization because his views may not be shared by his organization.

      As far as journalists not being allowed to print what they want - in an era where internet and its tools rule supreme, anyone can start a blog and put down the facts. the popularity and power of online medium is a known fact now.

      Warm regards,

      Mayura Amarkant

      Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone from Reliance Mobile

      From: s krish
      Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 21:01:59 +0530 (IST)
      To: <prpoint@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [prpoint] Re: Shoe thrown on Indian Home Minister during Press Conference

      Dear Mr.Srinivasan

      the responses are very interesting and all the people have sent predictable responses, manner, true for a behavior of any individuals ( leave alone a journalist) in public.

      While the comments are on an individuals behavior, do not forget the fact what is responsible for the behavior. A deep routed hatred against the Govt who gave clean chit to the people who were responsible for the riot against a specific community who under went trouble and expected some action against people responsible for the same.

      the feelings were inside for many years and that was ignited by the CBI action, obviously directed by the Govt and the home minister was the target not as an individual but a representative of the Govt whose action was the reason for the objectionable behavior.

      Before being too harsh on the person, let us not forget the real reason and the direction of the people responsible for CBI giving clean chit to them

      with best wishes and warm regards

      S.Krishnamurthy
      www.alphabeticstrai ning.com
      Ph. 91-44-28156170
      Mobile. 9884278542

    • Bobby Shivyana
      Message 2 of 29 , Apr 7 11:29 AM
        Dear Mr Srinivasan,

        I am reminded of a story, probably, by RK Narayan, wherein, a clerk on the day of his retirement, returning home, picksup a stone and hurls at the street lamp. The clerk had felt that the street lamp made mockery at him for several years as he was never allowed to go home before sunset, during his service. He was waiting to take revenge on the street lamp and he could satiate his desire by breaking it. Pentup desires and frustration are likely to drive any body to any direction.  A terrorist or an extremist or a Naxalite, indoctrination apart, is a victim of frustration first.

        After all, the journalist who hurled a shoe on the Union Home Minister is a human being, an element in the society. As an individual, he could not resist his anguish. More insulting than hurling the shoe by the Journalist, is the action-replay of the shoe passing by the Minister, hundreds of times by every channel.

        And the penal provisions in Law for hurling a shoe on a party functionary are not that serious & specific, because it is neither an attempt to cause bodily hurt nor is it done to a dignitray guest to India as opined by a former Solicitor General.

        This incident calls for amendments to existing laws dealing with defamation - insult, libel, slander, vilification and the like. By the way, the reaction of Mr Chindambaram was cool and composed and appreciable.

        Regards,

        Y. Babji
        National Vice President (Admn)
        Global Forum for Public Relations

[...]

      • Shivshankar Surkund
        Message 3 of 29 , Apr 7 8:27 PM
          Hi there,

          Your story makes me to recall the last scene of 'Ankur', shyam benegal's well made film years back. there too a boy throws a stone  - to display his anger, anguish on aproblem,he had no control.

          To-day in Parliament, the only thing that gets total voting or full support is the proposal to enhance the MP's perqs.

          s.n.surkund

          Message 4 of 29 , Apr 7 8:40 PM
            There are no two opinions on this.As journalists,irrespective of our
            own individual ideologies and beliefs,our job is to report the
            news/proceedings of press conferences and the like.Accordingly,
            Jarnail Singh's act needs to be condemned; frowned upon and
            discouraged. Personal beliefs and sentiments should not interfere with
            professional work.

            Now,after what Jarnail Singh has done, it would be difficult for the
            press /politicians and others to interact with one another. An element
            of suspicion could always come in the way of free interaction.

            Thygaraj Sharma
            Senior Journalist, Bangaloru

            On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 1:27 PM, Prime Point Srinivasan
            <prpoint@...> wrote:
            > dear friends
            >
            > Few minutes back today (7th april 2009), when Indian Home Minister P
            > Chidambaram was addressing a Press Conference at Congress HQ at Delhi, a
            > question was asked by one Jarnail Singh representing Dainik Jagran on the
            > issue of 'clean chit' given to Jagadish Tytlar by CBI.  The journalist was
            > not convinced of the response given by the Home Minister and he started
            > arguing in the Press Conference.  Chidambaram was telling the journo not to
            > argue, but only ask questions.  Irked by the response of the Home Minister,
            > the journalist threw the shoes on him.  Fortunately, it did not fall on him,
            > but fell  slightly away.  The journalist was taken away by the Security
            > authorities for investigation.
            >
            > Members may recall that similar incident happened during the visit of
            > President Bush to Iraq.  It is very sad that a new trend is showing up
            > amongst the media. The jounalist covering the event may differ from the view
            > of the authorities.  His job is only to report the statement and to ask
            > questions.
            >
            > A communist oriented media person may cover the BJP or vice versa.  The
            > professional dharma is only to report as it is, even if they differ.  The
            > media can review the policies of ruling or opposition parties in their
            > editorial columns or articles.
            >
            > When I saw this incident live in the TV, i got really shocked.  An Indian
            > journalist throwing shoes on Indian Home Minister.  In the Bush incident,
            > Iraqi media person threw shoes on Bush.
            >
            > In one of the ealier issues of our ezine PR-e-Sense, we published a cartoon
            > drawn by Triambak Sharma.  In that cartoon, the organisers were asking all
            > media persons to remove the shoes and keep outside the press room.  Though,
            > it was meant for fun after Bush incident, i am afraid, the fun should not
            > become reality.
            >
            > I invite members to share the views.
            >
            > Srinivasan
            > Moderator

          • manoj panjwani
            Message 5 of 29 , Apr 7 9:24 PM
              Hi!

              While reading the responses of various members of our community to the issue of a shoe being hurled at Mr. Chidambaram, we have all overlooked a few points.

              1. The gentleman (I hope I am entitled to still call him one) concerned had already removed one shoe which he subsequently tossed in the direction of the dais and Mr. Chidambaram. This indicates that he had thought of the action he would take and it was not an instantaneous protest.

              2. Almost all the people who have some thoughts to share on the issue have agreed that it was wrong to demonstrate his protest or his feelings in the way it was done, but can we as a community do anything to help prevent similar situations from being repeated. After all, its our job as PR Professionals to ensure smooth functioning of such press conferences. Today its a politician, tomorrow it could be any one of our clients.

              Cheers

              Manoj

              <prpoint@gmail. com> wrote:

              > dear friends
              >
              > Few minutes back today (7th april 2009), when Indian Home Minister P
              > Chidambaram was addressing a Press Conference at Congress HQ at Delhi, a
              > question was asked by one Jarnail Singh representing Dainik Jagran on the
              > issue of 'clean chit' given to Jagadish Tytlar by CBI.  The journalist was
              > not convinced of the response given by the Home Minister and he started
              > arguing in the Press Conference.  Chidambaram was telling the journo not to
              > argue, but only ask questions.  Irked by the response of the Home Minister,
              > the journalist threw the shoes on him.  Fortunately, it did not fall on him,
              > but fell  slightly away.  The journalist was taken away by the Security
              > authorities for investigation.
              >
              > Members may recall that similar incident happened during the visit of
              > President Bush to Iraq.  It is very sad that a new trend is showing up
              > amongst the media. The jounalist covering the event may differ from the view
              > of the authorities.  His job is only to report the statement and to ask
              > questions.
              >
              > A communist oriented media person may cover the BJP or vice versa.  The
              > professional dharma is only to report as it is, even if they differ.  The
              > media can review the policies of ruling or opposition parties in their
              > editorial columns or articles.
              >
              > When I saw this incident live in the TV, i got really shocked.  An Indian
              > journalist throwing shoes on Indian Home Minister.  In the Bush incident,
              > Iraqi media person threw shoes on Bush.
              >
              > In one of the ealier issues of our ezine PR-e-Sense, we published a cartoon
              > drawn by Triambak Sharma.  In that cartoon, the organisers were asking all
              > media persons to remove the shoes and keep outside the press room.  Though,
              > it was meant for fun after Bush incident, i am afraid, the fun should not
              > become reality.
              >
              > I invite members to share the views.
              >
              > Srinivasan
              > Moderator

            • POONAM SUKHIJA
              Message 6 of 29 , Apr 7 11:43 PM

                Yeah solution is there, “All the press conferences to be held with “Shoes” to be strictly kept outside” ………..!!

                Well it’s absolutely in the lighter vein ………… we have been always discussing very difficult issues so thought to add some humour into it !!

                I feel these are all very situational problems and rather temperamental one. Don’t think what Jarnail did everyone or rather most of us can even think of. It’s a matter of basic professional hygiene which  comes with experience to all of us. This was I think an exception and everyone can’t be put in his “Shoes” rather for a solution ….!!

                Don’t think anybody would like to repeat this unless Jarnail becomes MP from Amritsar now !!! What a misery of our political scenario !!!

                Regards,

                Poonam Rajkumar S.

                Sr. Vice President

                Corporate Communications

                for sign

                612 Acme Plaza,

                M.V. Road,

                Andheri (E), Mumbai-59

                Main              : (91-22) 022-4000 3600 ext. 606

                Facsimile       : (91-22) 022-40003699

                Hand phone:  : (91-22) 9820077588 / 9322077588

                <prpoint@gmail. com> wrote:

                > dear friends
                >
                > Few minutes back today (7th april 2009), when Indian Home Minister P
                > Chidambaram was addressing a Press Conference at Congress HQ at Delhi, a
                > question was asked by one Jarnail Singh representing Dainik Jagran on the
                > issue of 'clean chit' given to Jagadish Tytlar by CBI.  The
                journalist was
                > not convinced of the response given by the Home Minister and he started
                > arguing in the Press Conference.  Chidambaram was telling the journo
                not to
                > argue, but only ask questions.  Irked by the response of the Home
                Minister,
                > the journalist threw the shoes on him.  Fortunately, it did not fall
                on him,
                > but fell  slightly away.  The journalist was taken away by the
                Security
                > authorities for investigation.
                >
                > Members may recall that similar incident happened during the visit of
                > President Bush to Iraq.  It is very sad that a new trend is showing
                up
                > amongst the media. The jounalist covering the event may differ from the
                view
                > of the authorities.  His job is only to report the statement and to
                ask
                > questions.
                >
                > A communist oriented media person may cover the BJP or vice versa.
                The
                > professional dharma is only to report as it is, even if they differ.
                The
                > media can review the policies of ruling or opposition parties in their
                > editorial columns or articles.
                >
                > When I saw this incident live in the TV, i got really shocked.  An
                Indian
                > journalist throwing shoes on Indian Home Minister.  In the Bush
                incident,
                > Iraqi media person threw shoes on Bush.
                >
                > In one of the ealier issues of our ezine PR-e-Sense, we published a
                cartoon
                > drawn by Triambak Sharma.  In that cartoon, the organisers were
                asking all
                > media persons to remove the shoes and keep outside the press room.
                Though,
                > it was meant for fun after Bush incident, i am afraid, the fun should not
                > become reality.
                >
                > I invite members to share the views.
                >
                > Srinivasan
                > Moderator

                MailScanner Signature
                  This message is for the named addressees' use only. It may contain Angel
                  Broking confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. If
                  you receive this message in error, please immediately delete it. You must
                  not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy
                  any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient

                  This communication is for informational purposes only. It is not intended
                  as an offer or solicitation for the purchase or sale of any financial
                  instrument or as an official confirmation of any transaction. All market
                  prices, data and other information are not warranted as to completeness
                  or accuracy and are subject to change without notice. Any comments or
                  statements made herein do not necessarily reflect those of Angel
                  Broking., its subsidiaries and affiliates.

              • CJ Singh
                Message 7 of 29 , Apr 8 12:59 AM
                  Dear Babji, well said. All these pent up frustrations and especially, for 'not being heard' results into such situations which results into different expressions of the like we had now. The terrorists, the naxalites, and the like, are the people who have unvented and unheeded emotions, which is the greatest challenge for all communicators. It happens within companies...and within countries every day. The governments need to pay heed to the feedback that they receive from the people in the street, and take appropriate corrective action to amend its policies accordingly. And if that is not possible, the point of view should be explained aptly instead of stiffling the protests.
                  Regards,
                  CJ

                  --- In prpoint@yahoogroups.com, Bobby Shivyana <yanbab2002@...> wrote:

                  > Dear Mr Srinivasan,
                  >
                  > I am reminded of a story, probably, by RK Narayan, wherein, a clerk on the day of his retirement, returning home, picksup a stone and hurls at the street lamp. The clerk had felt that the street lamp made mockery at him for several years as he was never allowed to go home before sunset, during his service. He was waiting to take revenge on the street lamp and he could satiate his desire by breaking it. Pentup desires and frustration are likely to drive any body to any direction.  A terrorist or an extremist or a Naxalite, indoctrination apart, is a victim of frustration first.
                  >
                  > After all, the journalist who hurled a shoe on the Union Home Minister is a human being, an element in the society. As an individual, he could not resist his anguish. More insulting than hurling the shoe by the Journalist, is the action-replay of the shoe passing by the Minister, hundreds of times by every channel.
                  >
                  > And the penal provisions in Law for hurling a shoe on a party functionary are not that serious & specific, because it is neither an attempt to cause bodily hurt nor is it done to a dignitray guest to India as opined by a former Solicitor General.
                  >
                  > This incident calls for amendments to existing laws dealing with defamation - insult, libel, slander, vilification and the like. By the way, the reaction of Mr Chindambaram was cool and composed and appreciable.
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  >
                  > Y. Babji
                  > National Vice President (Admn)
                  > Global Forum for Public Relations

                • BNK
                  Message 8 of 29 , Apr 8 1:00 AM
                    Yes, we can definitely do a lot.
                    1. Analyse and brief those address press conferences (client/company management) on the possible angry/hate questions particularly in times of crisis management.
                    2. Keep media analysis of reports on the company at hand and train the company/client on tackling angry/negative questions.
                    3. Prepare a list of - just not FAQs - but possible negative questions from all angles and train the client/company management on answering them in the best possible manner.
                    4. Never enter into any argument with the media. You will NOT win. Chidambaram Press Conf is an example. He kept on saying please do not get into debate on this issue, this is not the forum etc etc.,
                    5. Keep a  close eye on the general behaviour/body language of media persons. Like you said, this particular reporter was tossing his shoe....you could foresee the possible problem ahead!
                    6. There is enough training material available from various PR agencies (including Concept PR) on deflecting the difficult ones and crisis communications (discussed at the last week's PRCI Global meet).
                    7. Defuse tension with informal meetings, chit-chat before a serious Press Conf begins.
                    8. Get to know the media persons by their first names. Address them with their first names while answering questions, particularly when you answer difficult/stubborn questions. (You name is music to your ears, isnt it?!).
                    9. Never think of avenging quarreling repprters. It doesn't work. Adopt forgive and forget attitude.
                    10. Give a free hand to PR professionals to handle crisis, communication in crisis and of course such media conferences as well.
                    Hope these ten commandments will be of some use.
                    Pl do not hesitate to get  back to me ( mailbnk@...) in case you want to discuss further.
                    Regards
                    bnk

                    <prpoint@gmail. com> wrote:
                    > dear friends
                    >
                    > Few minutes back today (7th april 2009), when Indian Home Minister P
                    > Chidambaram was addressing a Press Conference at Congress HQ at Delhi, a
                    > question was asked by one Jarnail Singh representing Dainik Jagran on the
                    > issue of 'clean chit' given to Jagadish Tytlar by CBI.  The journalist was
                    > not convinced of the response given by the Home Minister and he started
                    > arguing in the Press Conference.  Chidambaram was telling the journo not to
                    > argue, but only ask questions.  Irked by the response of the Home Minister,
                    > the journalist threw the shoes on him.  Fortunately, it did not fall on him,
                    > but fell  slightly away.  The journalist was taken away by the Security
                    > authorities for investigation.
                    >
                    > Members may recall that similar incident happened during the visit of
                    > President Bush to Iraq.  It is very sad that a new trend is showing up
                    > amongst the media. The jounalist covering the event may differ from the view
                    > of the authorities.  His job is only to report the statement and to ask
                    > questions.
                    >
                    > A communist oriented media person may cover the BJP or vice versa.  The
                    > professional dharma is only to report as it is, even if they differ.  The
                    > media can review the policies of ruling or opposition parties in their
                    > editorial columns or articles.
                    >
                    > When I saw this incident live in the TV, i got really shocked.  An Indian
                    > journalist throwing shoes on Indian Home Minister.  In the Bush incident,
                    > Iraqi media person threw shoes on Bush.
                    >
                    > In one of the ealier issues of our ezine PR-e-Sense, we published a cartoon
                    > drawn by Triambak Sharma.  In that cartoon, the organisers were asking all
                    > media persons to remove the shoes and keep outside the press room.  Though,
                    > it was meant for fun after Bush incident, i am afraid, the fun should not
                    > become reality.
                    >
                    > I invite members to share the views.
                    >
                    > Srinivasan
                    > Moderator

                    Regards
                    BNK
                    Call:  CDMA: 93210 48332
                                        93200 48332
                              GSM:  90221 30842
                         Landline: 022-40558914

                    ========
                    B N Kumar
                    CEO
                    Concept PR - Winner of "Agency of the Year 2007"  award from PR Council of India
                    ====================

                  • manoj panjwani
                    Message 9 of 29 , Apr 8 1:26 AM
                      Sir,

                      I do agree that these are the steps we can take from the R professionals point of view or to prevent things from going wrong, but how does one handle a situation where the media (which I am sure you are aware or and have experienced) is willing to get aggressive inspite of being wrong...

                      Regards

                      Manoj

[...]
                      Pl do not hesitate to get  back to me ( mailbnk@gmail. com) in case you want to discuss further.
                      Regards
                      bnk

                      <prpoint@gmail. com> wrote:
                      > dear friends
                      >
                      > Few minutes back today (7th april 2009), when Indian Home Minister P
                      > Chidambaram was addressing a Press Conference at Congress HQ at Delhi, a
                      > question was asked by one Jarnail Singh representing Dainik Jagran on the
                      > issue of 'clean chit' given to Jagadish Tytlar by CBI.  The journalist was
                      > not convinced of the response given by the Home Minister and he started
                      > arguing in the Press Conference.  Chidambaram was telling the journo not to
                      > argue, but only ask questions.  Irked by the response of the Home Minister,
                      > the journalist threw the shoes on him.  Fortunately, it did not fall on him,
                      > but fell  slightly away.  The journalist was taken away by the Security
                      > authorities for investigation.
                      >
                      > Members may recall that similar incident happened during the visit of
                      > President Bush to Iraq.  It is very sad that a new trend is showing up
                      > amongst the media. The jounalist covering the event may differ from the view
                      > of the authorities.  His job is only to report the statement and to ask
                      > questions.
                      >
                      > A communist oriented media person may cover the BJP or vice versa.  The
                      > professional dharma is only to report as it is, even if they differ.  The
                      > media can review the policies of ruling or opposition parties in their
                      > editorial columns or articles.
                      >
                      > When I saw this incident live in the TV, i got really shocked.  An Indian
                      > journalist throwing shoes on Indian Home Minister.  In the Bush incident,
                      > Iraqi media person threw shoes on Bush.
                      >
                      > In one of the ealier issues of our ezine PR-e-Sense, we published a cartoon
                      > drawn by Triambak Sharma.  In that cartoon, the organisers were asking all
                      > media persons to remove the shoes and keep outside the press room..  Though,
                      > it was meant for fun after Bush incident, i am afraid, the fun should not
                      > become reality.
                      >
                      > I invite members to share the views.
                      >
                      > Srinivasan
                      > Moderator

                      Regards
                      BNK
                      Call:  CDMA: 93210 48332
                                          93200 48332
                                GSM:  90221 30842
                           Landline: 022-40558914

                      ========
                      B N Kumar
                      CEO
                      Concept PR - Winner of "Agency of the Year 2007"  award from PR Council of India
                      ============ ========

                      Connect with friends all over the world. Get Yahoo! India Messenger.
                    • POONAM SUKHIJA

                        Message 11 of 29 , Apr 8 4:11 AM

                          Hi Poonam,

                          We all know that whatever happened is not right. Also this is true that every action has a reaction. But I would like to highlight the point that the journalist has been relieved immediately after the interrogation for 10-15 minutes.

                          It proves that there will be no reaction against his unethical action. Also elections are about to happen so there is no scope that anybody will take any action against it for the sake of votes. Instead of taking some action all the political parties have started using it as a mean to make their opinion strong and win the elections.

                          Also the journalist is getting the ticket for the next elections.

                          Shameless Politicians and Poor Public.....

                          Regards

                          Vikas

                          <prpoint@gmail. com> wrote:
> [...]

                          MailScanner Signature
                            This message is for the named addressees' use only. It may contain Angel
                            Broking confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. If
                            you receive this message in error, please immediately delete it. You must
                            not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy
                            any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient

                            This communication is for informational purposes only. It is not intended
                            as an offer or solicitation for the purchase or sale of any financial
                            instrument or as an official confirmation of any transaction. All market
                            prices, data and other information are not warranted as to completeness
                            or accuracy and are subject to change without notice. Any comments or
                            statements made herein do not necessarily reflect those of Angel
                            Broking., its subsidiaries and affiliates.

                          Vikas Kumar
                          9811054648
                        • Sanjay Mudnaney
                          Message 12 of 29 , Apr 8 6:19 AM

                            My feelings ;

                            Every profession has a dharma. The dharma of a journalist is to do unbiased reporting. No matter whatever is the provocation one must follow the dharma of the profession that one has chosen, a soldier fights the war and has to kill the enemy that is his dharma. Religion / Caste / Creed should not come in the way of performing ones duty.

                            There is hurt and there are ways to protest, do not do something that will spoil the reputation of your profession. When the said journalist attend the Press Conference he was invited as a journalist, he was covering the conference as a journalist, his dharma was that of a journalist.

                            Let us look at the consequences what if everyone says “The method is wrong but the feeling in right” , it gives a free hand to voice our grievances . That is what the political parties have been doing when they beet up girls at a pub! Let the journalist not join that club.

                            Warm Regards,

                            Sanjay Mudnaney

                            <prpoint@gmail. com> wrote:

                            > dear friends
                            >
                            > Few minutes back today (7th april 2009), when Indian Home Minister P
                            > Chidambaram was addressing a Press Conference at Congress HQ at
                            w:st="on"> Delhi , a
                            > question was asked by one Jarnail Singh representing Dainik Jagran on the
                            > issue of 'clean chit' given to Jagadish Tytlar by CBI.  The
                            journalist was
                            > not convinced of the response given by the Home Minister and he started
                            > arguing in the Press Conference.  Chidambaram was telling the journo
                            not to
                            > argue, but only ask questions.  Irked by the response of the Home
                            Minister,
                            > the journalist threw the shoes on him.  Fortunately, it did not fall
                            on him,
                            > but fell  slightly away.  The journalist was taken away by the
                            Security
                            > authorities for investigation.
                            >
                            > Members may recall that similar incident happened during the visit of
                            > President Bush to Iraq .
                            It is very sad that a new trend is showing up
                            > amongst the media. The jounalist covering the event may differ from the
                            view
                            > of the authorities.  His job is only to report the statement and to
                            ask
                            > questions.
                            >
                            > A communist oriented media person may cover the BJP or vice versa.
                            The
                            > professional dharma is only to report as it is, even if they differ.
                            The
                            > media can review the policies of ruling or opposition parties in their
                            > editorial columns or articles.
                            >
                            > When I saw this incident live in the TV, i got really shocked.  An
                            Indian
                            > journalist throwing shoes on Indian Home Minister.  In the Bush
                            incident,
                            > Iraqi media person threw shoes on Bush.
                            >
                            > In one of the ealier issues of our ezine PR-e-Sense, we published a
                            cartoon
                            > drawn by Triambak Sharma.  In that cartoon, the organisers were
                            asking all
                            > media persons to remove the shoes and keep outside the press room.
                            Though,
                            > it was meant for fun after Bush incident, i am afraid, the fun should not
                            > become reality.
                            >
                            > I invite members to share the views.
                            >
                            > Srinivasan
                            > Moderator

                            MailScanner Signature

                            ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ---

                            ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- -----

                            --
                            Vikas Kumar
                            9811054648

                            MASTEK LTD.
                            Mastek is in NASSCOM's 'India Top 20' Software Service Exporters List.
                            In the US, we're called MAJESCOMASTEK

                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            Opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual and not that of Mastek Limited, unless specifically indicated to that effect. Mastek Limited does not accept any responsibility or liability for it. This e-mail and attachments (if any) transmitted with it are confidential and/or privileged and solely for the use of the intended person or entity to which it is addressed. Any review, re-transmission, dissemination or other use of or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. This e-mail and its attachments have been scanned for the presence of computer viruses. It is the responsibility of the recipient to run the virus check on e-mails and attachments before opening them. If you have received this e-mail in error, kindly delete this e-mail from desktop and server.
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          • Vibhuti Agrawal
                            Message 13 of 29 , Apr 8 9:43 PM
                              Guys we are talking about the ethical and non-ethical duties of a journalist and how other political parties are using this incident for their own good, for the votes.

                              But what would you say when the Congress party itself it reconsidering Tytler's ticket post this incident to lure Sikh voters? Are they not taking this action as a reaction from an individual / victimised community rather than from a journalist.

                              And if they are then why cant we also look at it in the same way? Rather than blaming Mr. Singh as an unethical journalist why not take him as an individual who has reacted to a ridiculous act by the Congress party at the time of elections?

                              Many of us on hearing the news that Jagdish Tytler has been given a clean chit by the CBI would have reacted saying "WHAT NONSENSE" or "THIS WAS EXPECTED". Its just that Mr. Singh has put our words in action. Dont we as individuals actually want to go out there and shoot these corrupt politicians? And this was rather a polite gesture on the part of Mr. Singh to register his protest considering his proximity to the dias. He could have very well flung the shoe at the minister if he wanted to do any damage.

                              Regards,
                              Vibhuti

                              On Wed, 08 Apr 2009 19:14:19 +0530 wrote

                            • Vernkatraman Rajendran
                              Message 14 of 29 , Apr 9 4:28 AM
                                The debate and the discussion of the shoe-cast which was show-cast is taking very interesting turn.  Administrative arrogance, institutional importance, bureaucratic callousness, organisational insensitiveness are all the basic causes.  As PRP Srinivasan rightly put it, it is the venting of pent up feelings of a journo.  Srinivsan has done an exceedingly good job in getting the journo jarnail tgo talk openly on the issue and let him air his views, even before so many front-line mags and newspapers could do it.

                                I also feel that TV coverage should not be repeated by showing the incident again and again to the point of boredom, as if it is the only thing that happened that day.  Was not the remark of Lalu a responsible senior Railway Minister (I will bull dozer on the chest of Varun) a more irresponsible and provocative, objectionable, indecent remarks in fact calling for action under IPC as an offence itself?  This incident has now gone into the oblivion.  Hence let the TV channels too behave in a more responsible manner by not showing such unwanted, undesirable acts more out of provocation repeatedly.

                                V Rajendran
                                Secretary Cyber Society of India

                                Guys we are talking about the ethical and non-ethical duties of a journalist and how other political parties are using this incident for their own good, for the votes.

                                But what would you say when the Congress party itself it reconsidering Tytler's ticket post this incident to lure Sikh voters? Are they not taking this action as a reaction from an individual / victimised community rather than from a journalist.

                                And if they are then why cant we also look at it in the same way? Rather than blaming Mr. Singh as an unethical journalist why not take him as an individual who has reacted to a ridiculous act by the Congress party at the time of elections?

                                Many of us on hearing the news that Jagdish Tytler has been given a clean chit by the CBI would have reacted saying "WHAT NONSENSE" or "THIS WAS EXPECTED". Its just that Mr. Singh has put our words in action. Dont we as individuals actually want to go out there and shoot these corrupt politicians? And this was rather a polite gesture on the part of Mr. Singh to register his protest considering his proximity to the dias. He could have very well flung the shoe at the minister if he wanted to do any damage.

                                Regards,
                                Vibhuti

                                On Wed, 08 Apr 2009 19:14:19 +0530 wrote
                                >My feelings ;
                                >
                                >Every profession has a dharma. The dharma of a journalist is to do unbiased reporting. No matter whatever is the provocation one must follow the dharma of the profession that one has chosen, a soldier fights the war and has to kill the enemy that is his dharma. Religion / Caste / Creed should not come in the way of performing ones duty.
                                >
                                >There is hurt and there are ways to protest, do not do something that will spoil the reputation of your profession. When the said journalist attend the Press Conference he was invited as a journalist, he was covering the conference as a journalist, his dharma was that of a journalist.
                                >
                                >Let us look at the consequences what if everyone says "The method is wrong but the feeling in right" , it gives a free hand to voice our grievances . That is what the political parties have been doing when they beet up girls at a pub! Let the journalist not join that club.
                                >

                                >Warm Regards,
                                >
                                >Sanjay Mudnaney
                                >

                                >___________ _________ _________ ___

                              • BK Sarala
                                Message 15 of 29 , Apr 9 9:04 AM
                                  Dear Brother Srinivasan,

                                  Namaste.

                                  We compliment your sincere effort to bring the reality to people. To bring
                                  clariy of the matter which has been highly debated, you may like to
                                  communicate the talk of Mr. Jarnail Singh who is apologitic of this issue in
                                  the groups so that the message is more clear. Once again appreciate ur
                                  concern for the society brother.

                                  With highest regards,

                                  sis. sarala
                                  09396523402