Re: Praise The Lord, Cancer gone?

  • Fuller
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 16, 2012
      Thanks Richard for the good advice and congrats!

      Fuller

      --- In protoninfo@yahoogroups.com, "Richard" <richardlvance@...> wrote:

> [...]
      >
      > I went to MD Anderson for the Proton therapy only to have it denied by BCBS of Alabama. I then entered a long battle with appeals being denied and some cheating in the appeals process by the insurance company and a revealing of the Alabama Insurance commission as a toothless animal on a short leash held by the insurance industry.
      >
      > So two years later, and a divorce, bankruptcy, retirement then a disability fight (meniere's syndrome and pain from degenerative disc disease with bulging C5 disc) that I eventually won, then I married a wonderful lady in Monterrey, NL, Mexico and lived south of the border for a while. I was watching my PSA which actually dropped to 3.1 for about 6 months then began spiking up effectively doubling in 6 months. So it was "time". I had acquired the Obamacare insurance for those with pre-existing conditions (PCIP) and there was a precedent at MD Anderson that the insurance did pay for Proton Therapy.
      >
      > I am en route back to Alabama from having a visit with Dr Lee and a new biopsy at MD Anderson. I received a call just an hour ago informing me that the biopsy was clean. Tissue looked all healthy. Then Dr Lee called to discuss options. He can treat based upon the older biopsy as it was confirmed as cancer or I can continue the "Active Surveillance". Well of course I am not going to be treated just yet.... Cancers are effectively a disease of the immune system and we all have cancerous cells in our bodies. Most are killed off by the immune system or die from being unable to get a blood supply and reproduce.
      >

      > so GOOD NEWS!!!!!!!!! Spread the word that if you are diagnosed early with the "pussy cat" cancer there is no need to rush out for treatment. In fact I found that my PSA followed my weight loss, downward in a parallel line. So first lose weight and change your diet, get exercise and do Active Surveillance.
      >
      > I married a Mexican school teacher who put me on a low fat high fiber mostly Mexican local fruits and vegetable diet with skinless chicken and occasional steaks. I got LOTS of sleep and reduced stress primarily by quitting work.
      >
      > I wanted to post this right away to give hope to those who are recently diagnosed. It does not mean that your next biopsy will be cancer free but it does mean DO NOT LET YOUR UROLOGIST RUSH YOU!!
      >

      > God bless, I'm sure the many prayers said by others as well as me were a part of this process. My local Methodist church has healing services Wednesday nights and I've attended and others have attended to pray for me.

    • Richard
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 18, 2012
        Yes indeed why Alabama??

        Well we have had an economic collapse of epic proportions (and I can't figure out why the jails are not full of guys in expensive suits??) so I have been unable to sell my house in Huntsville. I was able to get a reverse mortgage which really freed me up economically as I only make payments if I want to. But a clause in those reverse mortgages says it must be your primary home and to live there at least 6 months of each year. So I go to Alabama to prepare it for my Mexican bride to come and live until we can sell the place.

        Plus I have 3 daughters and 3 grand-kids here. But I'd really rather be at the beach..

        I see your email is eastex. something. Is that like the Eastern Expressway in Houston? I stayed on Hopper Rd off of the Eastex while in Houston.

        Richard

        --- In protoninfo@yahoogroups.com, "jwwright" <jwwright@...> wrote:

        > Thanks for all that info, Richard.
        > That is good news.
        > I don't think the cancer is gone, but given that scenario I think I would wait also.
        >
        > My only other thought is why go back to AL(ha)?
        >
        > Good luck.

      • jwwright
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 18, 2012
          Funny, I didn't know that.
          Yes the Eastex freeway. 75 miles out.
          In East Texas. Very rural.

          Lot of unemployment here too, but maybe not as bad as others.
          I've been retired here 22 yrs.
          So logical choice of MDA for me.

          I'm coming up on 12 months post Therapy April 11.
          Feel great most of the time.

          An economic point is "they" may change the cost support structure for PCa, indicated by the negativity for treating PCa.

          Regards

          __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 6977 (20120318) __________

          http://www.eset.com