politics on the group

  • Laurel
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2009
      I have to say that if I wasn't so invested in this group I might be tempted to leave. I do not think that politics has any business being discussed here. It simply creates rancor and diminishes the group's purpose. A new person or someone thinking about joining, having read the newest 6 or 7 emails might simply pass us by. I think I would.

      Laurel
    • Fuller Jones
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2009
        I agree with Laurel, and regret if my comment about Ronald Reagan contributed. It is just that he was one of my favorite people, and I remembered the quototion.

        Some recent postings will be deleted, I do not wqqnt to offend anyone, protons for cancer is the topic and shall remain so.

        Fuller

        --- In protoninfo@yahoogroups.com, "Laurel" <LaurelFace@...> wrote:

        > I have to say that if I wasn't so invested in this group I might be tempted to leave. I do not think that politics has any business being discussed here. It simply creates rancor and diminishes the group's purpose. A new person or someone thinking about joining, having read the newest 6 or 7 emails might simply pass us by. I think I would.
        >
        > Laurel

      • Sharon Gordon
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 1, 2009
               Can we please stop all the political comments?  I believe Fuller already asked that they stop, but this morning I am receiving even more.  This site is not the place to talk about politics, just protons.  I suggest that Fuller put anyone who continues these off-topic posts on moderation and not publish them.

                                                                      Sharon

          Express your personality in color! Preview and select themes for HotmailĀ®. Try it now.
        • jlmlj
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 1, 2009
            I joined this group because I am a victim of prostate cancer. I wanted to learn as much as possible about my options. Information provided by the group has been extremely helpful to me, and I am grateful for the support I have received. In return, I have submitted a very few posts, with the hope that they will be helpful to others with similar interests. As I near the end of my treatment, I had hoped to offer support similar to what I have received.

            While I am probably as much interested in politics as most, I feel very strongly that there are better places to vent my political feelings. I don't think I have my head in the sand. I realize that politics have affected health care, and will continue to do so. Indeed, politics affect most everything we do. But if I may use a crude analogy: If I need to learn the definition of a word, I don't want to first have to wade through someone's personal views, political or otherwise. That is, I need a dictionary, not a novel or a newspaper.

            I, too, agree strongly with Laurel. If I had first encountered this forum in the midst of this latest flurry, I certainly would not have joined, and consequently, I would not have benefited from the help I have received. And so, if this chatter is allowed to continue, I will indeed choose to exit and search elsewhere for those interested in prostate cancer.

            Thanks again for all of those more relevant, valuable exchanges.
            Jim Marshall