Welcome two new members

  • Fuller Jones
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 1, 2008
      We welcome alk1475 and Ron, who say:

      alk1475: My husband had Proton Therapy and I have a friend with
      prostate cancer who is being pushed for surgery. We'd like more info
      to pass along to him.

      And:

      Ron Kohlin · 65 · Male, of Possum Creek, Tennessee:
      I am one who has undergone Proton Therapy for prostate cancer (at
      Jacksonville, Florida) nearly a year ago. I'd like to communicate with
      others interested in this great mode of treatment.

      Welcome to you both. Wow! Two that have already received their
      PROTONS! This will be a great source for those that are still
      undecided and want to hear from past patients.

      Please tell us a bit about your story, your PCa stats, and how you
      found proton therapy and more about yourselves.

      Fuller
    • Ron Kohlin
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 1, 2008
        Actually, only one newly-minted Proton patient ;-) Since my wife Anita
        (alk1475) and I use different computers, we took the liberty of joining this
        group separately.

        I had been battling an enlarged prostate for some time. In 1999 my PSA had
        risen 4.3, and varied to as high as 9.7 over the next eight years. In May
        of 1999 I had a biopsy that came back negative for cancer. Over the next few
        years I was treated with Cipro several times, successfully, for prostatitis,
        and each time an elevated PSA reading was brought down. In September 2003 I
        had a transurethral microwave thermotherapy procedure; in December of 2005 I
        began taking Avadart which helped significantly with urination.

        I was diagnosed with prostate cancer after a biopsy in September 2007. My
        urologist (whom I didn't know at all well, having recently moved from
        Florida to Tennessee) suggest he would do cryotherapy or radioactive seeds,
        or refer me to a surgeon should I opt for a radical prostatectomy or a
        laparoscopic procedure. We went home somewhat dazed, and I thank God for my
        wife who found Bob Marckini's website and we began to learn of proton
        therapy.

        Since we're closest to the UF center at Jacksonville, I got in touch with
        them. They sent a packet of information, I had my medical records sent to
        them (another interesting story), and in mid-October we went down for an
        initial consultation that included a pelvic CT scan. Determining that I was
        a viable candidate, they set up an appointment for a month later for a
        three-day workup. I began my treatment on December 5, and finished on
        February 1st, 2008. My PSA just before treatment was 4.4. After treatment,
        it had dropped to 3.3.

        As a follow-on to the proton therapy, Dr. Henderson had prescribed hormone
        therapy consisting of two shots of Lupron, three months apart, the first
        within a month of completion of proton treatment. I had these two shots on
        February 26 and May 28, 2008. The hormones caused my PSA to be artificially
        suppressed, so that a three-month test came in at 0.2, and a six-month test
        at less than 0.1.

        We are totally happy with our treatment, impressed with the doctors and
        staff at the University of Florida Proton Therapy Institute, and thankful
        that we found and opted for proton therapy. As well, we made a lot of new
        friends among the patients we met there; that may be the biggest blessing.

        I did a blog while in Jacksonville, although I have to admit it wasn't kept
        up to date as will as it might have been. It's at
        http://ronsrecroom.blogspot.com/ if you're interested. I also put some links
        on my website, which can be found at http://kohlin.com/Proton.htm.

        I'm looking forward to getting to know folks here. My wife has a large group
        of "Proton Friends" that she keeps up with via e-mail. She will likely let
        them know about this group, if that's not a problem.

        Best wishes,
        Ron Kohlin of Soddy Daisy, Tennessee

        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 1, 2008
          Welcome Ron,
          I enjoyed reading about your experience with protons and it reminded me of my positive one at MPRI in the summer of 2005.
          I also looked at your blog.  Very well done and the pictures of the center were particularly interesting.
          Thanks for joining in.
          Rick

          Rick Otey
          P.O. Box 1584
          Tremont, IL. 61568
          309-925-3167
          Us TOO PEORIA Steering Committee Member

          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 1, 2008
            Rick, took the liberty of deleting the duplicate post.

            Ron, sorry about the mix-up. Welcome again to you and your wife.

            If you don't mind, what was your Gleason Score? It is probably on
            your blog, but I am being summoned now, and will read it tomorrow.
            Again, thanks, and please check out the Links Nd Files. Join in the
            discussion anytime.

            Fuller
            --- In protoninfo@yahoogroups.com, rick otey <ricksdetailing@...> wrote:

            > Welcome Ron,
            > I enjoyed reading about your experience with protons and it reminded
            me of my positive one at MPRI in the summer of 2005.
            > I also looked at your blog.  Very well done and the pictures of the
            center were particularly interesting.
            > Thanks for joining in.
            > Rick
            >

            > Rick Otey
            > P.O. Box 1584
            > Tremont, IL. 61568
            > 309-925-3167
            > Us TOO PEORIA Steering Committee Member
            > www.ricksprostatecancer.blogspot.com
            > ricksdetailing@...
            > rick@...
            > www.ustoopeoria.com

          • Fuller Jones
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 2, 2008
              Hi Ron and Anita,

              Ron, I took a look at your blog this am. Great job, and enjoyed the
              pics tremendously. BTW, I know the Copperhill TN area well, as had a
              summer home just across the NC line on Candy Mountain. We sold the
              place in 2003.

              In your initial post, you said: "As a follow-on to the proton therapy,
              Dr. Henderson had prescribed hormone therapy consisting of two shots
              of Lupron, three months apart, the first within a month of completion
              of proton treatment. I had these two shots on February 26 and May 28,
              2008. The hormones caused my PSA to be artificially suppressed, so
              that a three-month test came in at 0.2, and a six-month test at less
              than 0.1."

              Having gone through hormone therapy myself, I know exactly what you
              are talking about. In my case the ADT (Lupron) started before proton
              treatment and one during the protons.

              Did Doctor Henderson mention having the ADT before the proton
              treatment? Hormone treatment in conjunction with protons (at Loma
              Linda) is usually prescribed when the Gleason Score is HIGHER than
              3+3=6; in my case my GS was 4+3=7. This is why I was curious what your
              Gleason Score was when diagnosed.

              Thanks for the information you have shared.

              Fuller

              --- In protoninfo@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Kohlin" <ronsooline@...> wrote:

> [...]
              thankful
              > that we found and opted for proton therapy. As well, we made a lot
              of new
              > friends among the patients we met there; that may be the biggest
              blessing.

              > I did a blog while in Jacksonville, although I have to admit it
              wasn't kept
              > up to date as will as it might have been. It's at
              > http://ronsrecroom.blogspot.com/ if you're interested. I also put
              some links
              > on my website, which can be found at http://kohlin.com/Proton.htm.
              >
              > I'm looking forward to getting to know folks here. My wife has a
              large group
              > of "Proton Friends" that she keeps up with via e-mail. She will
              likely let
              > them know about this group, if that's not a problem.

            • Ron Kohlin
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 2, 2008
                I guess I didn't mention that I had two biopsies. The first, done in
                Chattanooga, took ten samples. It came back T-1-C, 3+3. The second was done
                in Jacksonville because the urologist hadn't mapped the first; it came back
                T-1-C, 4+5. With that one, Dr. Henderson said I was in the "high-risk"
                category and they deciede then to add the hormone therapy to my course of
                proton shots.

                Best wishes,
                Ron

                Rick, took the liberty of deleting the duplicate post.

                Ron, sorry about the mix-up. Welcome again to you and your wife.

                If you don't mind, what was your Gleason Score? It is probably on
                your blog, but I am being summoned now, and will read it tomorrow.
                Again, thanks, and please check out the Links Nd Files. Join in the
                discussion anytime.

                Fuller
                --- In protoninfo@yahoogroups.com, rick otey <ricksdetailing@...> wrote:

                > Welcome Ron,
                > I enjoyed reading about your experience with protons and it reminded
                me of my positive one at MPRI in the summer of 2005.
                > I also looked at your blog. Very well done and the pictures of the
                center were particularly interesting.
                > Thanks for joining in.
                > Rick
                >

                > Rick Otey
                > P.O. Box 1584
                > Tremont, IL. 61568
                > 309-925-3167
                > Us TOO PEORIA Steering Committee Member
                > www.ricksprostatecancer.blogspot.com
                > ricksdetailing@...
                > rick@...
                > www.ustoopeoria.com

                ------------------------------------
              • Fuller Jones
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 2, 2008
                  Understand, Ron, and thanks. You may know this already, but with that
                  Gleason there are those doctors that would argue for at least a year
                  of ADT. Others here may be able to add to this discussion.

                  One more point of clarification: Was there any indication of
                  roughness, a nodule or knot during the previous DRE's or the DRE at JAX?

                  The reason I ask is that there is some confusion on this "T-staging"
                  issue. If the doctor performing the DRE records a finding of any sort,
                  "roughness," nodules, etc.) then the T stage should be moved to the
                  T-2 category. Many doctors use their own definition in doing this
                  exam. See Files-T Staging Methodology (near the bottom).

                  Regardless, this is not really relevant now that the biopsy diagnosed
                  the tumor. The PSA and DRE are the primary initial indicators to pay
                  attention to that lead to biopsy recommendation.

                  Best to you and your wife,

                  Fuller

                  --- In protoninfo@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Kohlin" <ronsooline@...> wrote:

                  > I guess I didn't mention that I had two biopsies. The first, done in
                  > Chattanooga, took ten samples. It came back T-1-C, 3+3. The second
                  was done
                  > in Jacksonville because the urologist hadn't mapped the first; it
                  came back
                  > T-1-C, 4+5. With that one, Dr. Henderson said I was in the "high-risk"
                  > category and they deciede then to add the hormone therapy to my
                  course of
                  > proton shots.
                  >
                  > Best wishes,
                  > Ron

                • Ron Kohlin
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 2, 2008
                    It's my understanding that all my DRE's indicated a smooth, elastic surface.
                    I assume that's why it remained T-1-C even with the 4+5 Gleason.

                    Ron

                    > Understand, Ron, and thanks. You may know this already, but with that
                    > Gleason there are those doctors that would argue for at least a year
                    > of ADT. Others here may be able to add to this discussion.
                    >
                    > One more point of clarification: Was there any indication of
                    > roughness, a nodule or knot during the previous DRE's or the DRE at JAX?
                    >
                    > The reason I ask is that there is some confusion on this "T-staging"
                    > issue. If the doctor performing the DRE records a finding of any sort,
                    > "roughness," nodules, etc.) then the T stage should be moved to the
                    > T-2 category. Many doctors use their own definition in doing this
                    > exam. See Files-T Staging Methodology (near the bottom).
                    >
                    > Regardless, this is not really relevant now that the biopsy diagnosed
                    > the tumor. The PSA and DRE are the primary initial indicators to pay
                    > attention to that lead to biopsy recommendation.
                    >
                    > Best to you and your wife,
                    >
                    > Fuller
                    >
                    > --- In protoninfo@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Kohlin" <ronsooline@...> wrote:
                    >>
                    >> I guess I didn't mention that I had two biopsies. The first, done in
                    >> Chattanooga, took ten samples. It came back T-1-C, 3+3. The second
                    > was done
                    >> in Jacksonville because the urologist hadn't mapped the first; it
                    > came back
                    >> T-1-C, 4+5. With that one, Dr. Henderson said I was in the "high-risk"
                    >> category and they deciede then to add the hormone therapy to my
                    > course of
                    >> proton shots.
                    >>
                    >> Best wishes,
                    >> Ron
                  • Fuller
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 25, 2010
                      One is Mark, who says: "Hello- on the list for PBT at Loma Linda April 15. Also just joined BOB. Thanks, Mark"
                      The other is Mr. Ashman, I believe, but I somehow "lost" his message. I believe he is aready at Loma Linda.

                      Guys, please post a first message, each of you, and tell us your "stats."

                      Thanks for joining!

                      Fuller