28 Nissan - Yom Hashoah

    Message 1 of 2 , May 2, 2011
      Please Say/Whisper the Words out Loud
      May today's learning be dedicated in honor, memory and merit of the 6 million Jews who were murdered in the Holocaust.

      Lesson 1
      The holocaust highlights for us the irrevocable damage inflicted by negative speech and gossip. The answers can be found by understanding how violence of this magnitude can evolve out of prejudice based on ignorance, fear, and misunderstanding about minority groups and other groups who are different from ourselves. The extermination of 6 million Jews became possible only once we became stereotyped and labeled as vermin, evil, money hungry monsters looking to take over the world. When stereotypes are repeated enough, they become believable. That's why there was so little outcry when the Nazis passed the Nuremberg Laws of 1935, which essentially deprived all Germans of Jewish heritage of their citizenship. It was really just a small step from there to Kristallnacht, or "Night of Broken Glass" in 1938, which is considered by many historians to mark the beginning of the Shoah (burning in Hebrew), or Holocaust. By stereotyping Jews as evil, even as carriers of disease, it was easy to dehumanize and then destroy them.

      Lesson 2
      From this dark and painful part of our story we can see how powerful the words we say are and how they can create our own reality and those of the entire world around us. Starting with small comments, individual people, and random ideas, what we say can create change, revolution, a different world. Imagine using that power for goodness?

      Create a reflective, positive, and meaningful day today. Do something.
      - Ora

      -----
      Yizkor
      God full of mercy who dwells on high
      Protector of widows and father for the fatherless
      Please be not silent and show no restraint
      on behalf of the Jewish blood that has been spilled like water.
      But grant perfect rest on the wings of Your Divine Presence
      In the lofty abode of the holy, pure and valiant
      who shine as the brightness of the heavens
      to the souls of our brothers and sisters
      Six million Jewish
      men, women and children
      Who were put to death, slaughtered, burned,
      starved, buried alive
      Or who suffered other forms of unnatural death
      at the hands of the accursed Nazis
      and their associates - may their name be wiped out!
      In Auschwitz, Treblinka, Maydanek, Malthausen
      and in other death camps in Europe
      And who gave up their lives in order to Sanctify God's name.
      Because we are at one with their memory
      and we pray for the elevation of their souls
      Their resting place shall be in the Garden of Eden.
      Therefore, shall the Master of mercy care for them
      under the protection of His wings for all time
      And bind their souls in the bond of everlasting life.
      O Earth! Do not conceal their blood
      and let there not be a resting place for their cry
      In their merit shall the remnant of Israel
      return to its rightful place
      And as for the holy ones, their righteousness
      shall be in front of the Lord as an everlasting memory
      They will come in peace and will rest in peace
      They will meet their rightful destiny at the end of days
      and let us say Amen.