25 Adar

    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2011
      Please Say/Whisper the Words out Loud
      In the merit of this learning may Baruch Tzvi ben Chava and Chana bat Sima each be blessed with complete health, happiness, and only revealed good.

      Some people are experts at continuously insulting themselves - to others and to themselves. There is a major distinction between the virtue of humility and the fault of self condemnation. Self condemnation destroys happiness.Self-criticism that leads to growth and improvement is a positive quality.

      II
      Self-deprecation that is destructive breeds despair. Ex: "I'm so stupid. Everyone else is smarter than me. I never understand things" etc. These types of statements won't help you become a better person or even make you try harder. Everyone has limitations. But to succeed in any area you need to have confidence that you can succeed.

      (The Power of Words by Rabbi Zelig Pliskin)

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 31, 2011
        Please Say/Whisper the Words out Loud
        This learning is dedicated li'iluy the neshamot of Ella Bat Natasha and Ahuva Rachel bas Yitzchak Dov.

        It is best to avoid questions when the answer can involve negative speech. (Unless you know the person you are asking the question to is very careful with how they speak and therefore their answer will not contain lashon hara). Note - When asking for a constructive purpose these kinds of questions can be asked but there are very specific guidelines to follow.

        II- Examples
        "Do you like your teachers?"
        "Are you happy with your daughter's school?"
        "Did you like your old yeshiva?"
        "Hows Sarahs husband? He used to work so hard. Is he still like that today?"

        (Purity of Speech by C.T. Friedman)

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 18, 2012
          Please Say/Whisper the Words out Loud
          In the merit of this learning may Tinok ben Batsheva, Naftali Avraham ben Yehudis and Yonah ben Yehudis be blessed with complete health, happiness and only revealed good.

          Even if we are not ready to give people encouragement, at least we should not make discouraging comments. People are greatly influenced by the opinions of others. If someone makes a resolution they would like to keep, our comments might be the reason they do not keep it-if we give them the feeling it is impossible to follow through on it.

          II - example
          Someone tells you about their plans to follow a diet. "Why bother trying? You know yourself you will never keep to it. You have no self-discipline. Who are you trying to fool?" Compare that with the following: "that is a great idea. Even if you are partially successful it is worth the effort."

          (The Power of Words by Rabbi Zelig Pliskin)

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 6, 2013
            In the merit of this learning may Hadassah Raizel bat Soral be blessed with an immediate refuah shleima bitoch she'ar cholei yisrael.

            "I would like to suggest an exercise for a day when you feel adventurous enough to try this out. For an entire day, respond to anyone who asks you how you are, "I am full of gratitude today." You might even say, "I am full of gratitude today," to someone who didn't ask you how you are. The first thought that goes through someone's mind is usually, "What happened special today?"

            II
            "This unique exercise gives you an opportunity to think about what happened special today. Each and every day there is always something special to be grateful for. The one factor that is always there is the fact that this day you are alive. By virtue of being alive today, today is special and you are entitled to be full of gratitude today." Articulating it helps you internalize it and change your mindset.

            (THANK YOU! Gratitude: Formulas, Stories, and Insights, Rabbi Zelig Pliskin)

          • protectourspeech