24 Cheshvan

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 2, 2010
      Please Say/Whisper the Words out Loud
      In the merit of this learning may Devorah Chyenne bat Eliytta and Ruchama Chaya Malka bat Rochel each be blessed with complete health, happiness, and only revealed good. May they each merit an immediate refuah shleima bitoch she'ar cholei yisrael.

      We need to be careful not to speak negatively about someone's family.

      II - Examples
      "I heard that Moshe's parents are dishonest"
      "Leah's family is fighting over their father's inheritance"
      "That whole family had issues. It's probably because their parents treated them like X"
      "That whole family is spoiled. I guess that's what happens when you have X"

      (Purity of Speech by C.T. Friedman)

      Create a wonderful day!

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 21, 2011
        Please Say/Whisper the Words out Loud
        In the merit of this learning may Yehudis bat Perl and Uri Ben Yocheved each be blessed with complete health, happiness, and only revealed good.

        We don't have to inflict pain on each other. If we can feel the other person' suffering, rather than blocking it out of our consciousness, we will be motivated to find another way: a gentler, more sensitive and respectful way. The way we, ourselves, would like to be treated.

        II
        Everyone is well aware of the negative impact of hearing unkind words passed along about oneself. People do not often consider, however, the ripple effects of good words being passed along. Everyone loves to hear that something nice was said about them. It enhances their self-esteem and more importantly, it builds their desire to continue doing the good for which they were praised.

        (Positive Word Power by the Chafetz Chaim Heritage Foundation)

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 27 9:46 PM
          In the merit of this learning may Tehila bat Shoshana be blessed with an immediate refuah shleima bitoch she'ar cholei yisrael.

          It is common for people to be told, "Your problem is that you have a low self-image." Such statements usually lower a person's emotional state and make them feel worse about themselves.

          II
          It would be much wiser and kinder, and more beneficial, for people to say, "You have infinite value and worth. You already know you have strengths and inner resources. But you have even more strengths and resources that you are not yet fully aware of, and they will enhance your life as you become more aware of them. There are many more strengths and inner resources that you can gain and build up from now on. As you keep building your self-image, it will have a positive impact on all your future thoughts, words, and actions. You will be calmer, happier, and more self-confident."

          (Building Your Self-image and the Self-image of Others, by Rabbi Zelig Pliskin)

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 16, 2014
            In the merit of this learning may Schneor Zalman ben Chava be blessed with an immediate refuah shleima bitoch she'ar cholei yisrael.

            Edit what you say when you speak to yourself. If you find yourself about to say something important in a negative pattern, edit it to a positive pattern. If someone were about to say to himself, "That was stupid of me," he would be much better off editing this to say, "Be smart" or "Be wise" instead.

            II
            Perhaps he really did say or do something stupid. But now that he is aware of this mistake, he would be wise to tell himself how he would prefer to be in the future. Both of these positive self-statements are messages to make smarter and wiser choices and decisions. This is good advice to give to oneself.

            If someone were about to say to himself, "There you go again. You are always making these kinds of mistakes," she would be much better off editing this to, "I'm glad that I realize that this was a mistake. I am strongly resolved to speak and act in ways that would be better to speak and act."

            (Conversations With Yourself, Rabbi Zelig Pliskin)