20 Sivan

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2010
      Please Say/Whisper the Words out Loud
      In merit of this learning may
      Shmuel ben Fradel Sorah be blessed with healthy children who will live for Torah, mitzvot and good deeds. May he be able to raise them with his wife and step son with health, Torah, shalom bayit, mazal, parnasah and only revealed good!

      It is interesting that oftentimes we restrict gossip to our social equals or superiors, people who we can perceive as a threat to us.

      II
      The gossip that makes us feel better about ourselves is precisely that which lowers public esteem of those with whom we are in "status competition".

      (Words that Hurt Words that Heal by Joseph Telushkin)

      Create a wonderful day!

      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 22, 2011
        Please Say/Whisper the Words out Loud
        In the merit of this learning may Dovid Meshulam ben Elzbeth be blessed with an immediate refuah shleima bitoch she'ar cholei yisrael.

        When a person is always right and everyone else is always wrong, there are two certain conclusions that may be made: This person is not succeeding in their life and does not accept any responsibility for their failures.

        II
        Such a person sees themselves as a victim of other people's deficiencies and imagines that all of their difficulties are the result of what others do and say. Such a person's response to this situation, which they experience as tremendously frustrating, is often to lash out with ona'at devarim at those supposedly responsible for their troubles.

        (Positive Word Power by the Chafetz Chaim Heriitage Foundation)

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 10, 2012
          Please Say/Whisper the Words out Loud
          In the merit of this learning may Yehudis bat Perl, Shulamit bat Rachel and Ayala bat Nomi each be blessed with complete health, happiness, success, clarity, and only revealed good.

          If someone confides in you and tells you some personal matter, never use what they told you against them.  When the person confided in you, they did so with the understanding that you would be able to help in some way. They may have just needed a sympathetic ear or might have wanted some practical advice. You have a responsibility to them not to hurt their feelings by using that information later on in a belittling or downgrading manner.

          II
          When someone strikes a blow at another person after that person trusted them, the victim suffers feelings of betrayal. This is an extremely painful form of ona'at devarim, causing pain with words. Even if you get angry at that person for some reason, do  not yield to a rash impulse to exploit their trust.

          (The Power of Words by Rabbi Zelig Pliskin)

          Message 4 of 6 , May 28, 2013
            This learning is dedicated li'iluy nishmat Shirley bat Avraham Avinu.

            Before we spread information or views that will lower the regard in which an acquaintance is held, ask yourself three questions: Is it true? Is it necessary? Is it fair?

            II
            The rationale for wrongful acts is often self interest: What is the benefit of gossip, what do we gain by hurting other people's reputations? The most important reason we gossip is to raise our status through lowering the status of others. There can be a tremendous psychological gratification in seeing someone else's social status decline.