16 Adar

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2010
      Please Say/Whisper the Words out Loud
      In merit of this learning may Basha bat Chana Leah and Yosef ben Freicha each be blessed with health, happiness, and only revealed good! May they each merit an immediate refuah shleima bitoch she'ar cholei yisrael.

      Speaking lashon hora about someone in front of them is very serious. This applies even more so if this is done publicly. Offending someone in public causes humiliation and mortification.

      II
      If you feel the need to mention a persons faults to criticize them constructively, comments should be delivered privately with the goal of correcting, not belittling, kvetching, or any other non-constructive form of negativity.

      (Lashon Hara = Reporting something negative about someone else that is TRUE)

      (Lessons taken from The Power of Words by Rabbi Zelig Pliskin and Purity of Speech by C.T. Friedman)

      Create a wonderful day!

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 20, 2011
        Please Say/Whisper the Words out Loud
        In the merit of this learning may Zahavah Bracha bas Chaya Michla, Hindel Faiga bat  Reesha and Nechama bat Raizel each merit their zivug hagun v'nachon, at the right time with clarity and with joy. May it be an eternal home, with a strong foundation of Torah and Mitzvot.

        The laws of speech also address when it is proper and when it is improper to repeat information. Specifically, unless someone gives you specific permission to repeat something they told you privately, you should not repeat it. What seems like nothing to you could mean everything to another. Think before you speak.

        II
        Even if something seems innocent and innocuous, don't repeat it. For example, what's wrong with telling your cousin that your neighbor is thinking of putting his house up for sale and moving to another state? Perhaps that neighbor works in the same firm as the cousin, and the boss doesn't know that this person is leaving town. Imagine the trouble that could happen if this simple fact suddenly got out. Instead of leaving on good terms, the neighbor could be fired, all because you repeated the simple information.

        (Gossip by Lori Palatnik with Bob Burg)

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 22, 2011
          Please Say/Whisper the Words out Loud
          In the merit of this learning may Raizel bas Sorel and Dora bat Raizel each be blessed with an immediate refuah shleima bitoch she'ar cholei yisrael.

          There are times when we are allowed to say something negative about someone else if we do not mention their names. This applies only if you are sure the person you are talking to will never figure out who you are talking about. It is still not a preferable or good thing to speak negatively about anyone whether or not you mention names. Negative speech powerfully affects the speakers and the listeners.

          II- example
          On Shabbat you tell your friend "Could you imagine? I saw someone in shul today talking straight through davening. Could you believe such a thing. He bothers to come to shul and doesn't even pray properly." Even though your friend most likely will never figure out who you spoke about, it is still not a commendable thing to do.

          (Purity of Speech by C.T. Friedman)

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 25, 2013
            In the merit of this learning may Dov Ber ben Maita be blessed with an immediate refuah shleima bitoch she'ar cholei yisrael.

            There are times when we are allowed to say something negative about someone else if we do not mention their names. This applies only if you are sure the person you are talking to will never figure out who you are talking about. It is still not a preferable or good thing to speak negatively about anyone whether or not you mention names. Negative speech powerfully affects the speakers and the listeners.

            II- example
            On Shabbat you tell your friend "Could you imagine? I saw someone in shul today talking straight through davening. Could you believe such a thing. He bothers to come to shul and doesn't even pray properly." Even though your friend most likely will never figure out who you spoke about, it is still not a commendable thing to do and more than it affects the person being spoken about, it affects you, the speaker.

            (Purity of Speech by C.T. Friedman)

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 25, 2016

                In the merit of this learning may Gamliel ben Rachel be blessed with complete health, happiness, success, clarity, and only revealed good.

                Sometimes one single event can ruin an entire day and an unpleasant interaction or experience at night can overshadow the enjoyable parts of our day. With this awareness that our mind tends to cling to the negative, we can intentionally focus on the good parts of our day to offset this imbalance. Try writing down 5 things that you feel grateful for every day and see how your attitude changes. Science has found that gratitude can significantly increase your happiness, and protect you from stress, negativity, anxiety and depression.

                (Fulfillment)

                Create a meaningful day.