Friday & Shabbat **Correction/clarification of yesterdays lessons

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2010
      Please Say/Whisper the Words out Loud
      In merit of this learning may Yisrael ben Devorah and Yisrael ben Devorah Leah each merit physical, spiritual and emotional health, happiness, and only revealed good.

      * Sorry. I know its long but it needs to be clarified.

      Friday
      I know yesterdays lessons made it seem like lying is a good idea. It's not. I'm sorry. I divide and shorten the lessons to make them more accessible and sometimes, like yesterday, the point and context was left out. The idea is that If someone shows you something they bought, not to say anything derogatory about the item unless it is necessary to do so for a practical and constructive purpose. Rather, try to find something about it that you can praise (Ktubot 17a). If someone can't change something (i.e. haircut, marriage partner etc.) or return something (i.e. a house) saying the truth will only be hurtful and can have long lasting negative effects for no constructive purpose. In general, make it a policy to find and comment on the positive qualities. We don't always have to say what we really think.

      Shabbat
      There are however times to avoid saying the truth and even intetionally and constructively saying something not exactly accurate i.e. for the sake of peace (NOT to protect ourselves and avoid dealing with something). We learned this in Parshat Vayeira where G-d misquotes Sara to Avraham for the sake of keeping harmony between them. G-d tells Avraham that Sarah laughed, saying she has grown too old to have a child. In reality, she had said that Avraham had grown too old to have a child. This is not a simple matter. We really have to think through our intentions, the process, and potential outcomes of what we are about to say. There is a lot more on this topic that we will G-d willing cover. I sincerely apologize if I misled anyone by quoting out of context. Thank you to those of you who brought it to my attention.

      (Lessons taken from The Power of Words by Rabbi Zelig Pliskin, Finding the Right Words: A Weekly Portion of Shemiras Halashon by Rosally Saltsman and Gossip by Lori Palatnik)

      Thank you for your patience!
      Create a beautiful and holy Shabbat!