12 Tishrei

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 16, 2013
      In the merit of this learning may Rachel Leah bat Miriam and Orly bat Esther each be blessed with complete health, happiness, and only revealed good.

      The language we use chooses the lenses with which we will look at a person. When speaking with and about people with disabilities, it is always important to use people first language. People First Language puts the person before the disability, before the narrow confines of a box they were put in to. These subtle changed shift our focus and show respect instead of writing people off, or summarizing their entire being based on a diagnosis. This language will open us up to possibilities, to seeing beyond the label, stereotypes, and misconceptions.

      Examples:
      Use people with Disabilities instead of "the handicapped" or "the disabled"
      S/he has a cognitive disability/diagnosis instead of S/he is "mentally retarded"
      S/he has a diagnosis of autism vs S/he is "autistic"
      S/he has Down syndrome instead of S/he is "Downs" or a "Mongoloid"

      (Disability is Natural)

      Create a wonderful day!